What the fuck this is great

what the fuck this is great

Oh yeah, it's the greatest piece of music of the 1980s. and the final two tracks are phenomenal.

New Romantic synthpop was best synthpop

Rio is cute! CUTE!!

Hi, dad...

I hated Duran Duran at first. Thanks to Columbia Record club, I got this on cassette. Played it to death. It's a classic eighties recording. You can focus on each member's part but still listen to it as a whole. Never had a better album than this.

Rio [Capitol, 1982]

With music drily electronic enough to pass for new wave and pop moistly textural enough to go over as pop, lyrics that rearrange received language from several levels of discourse into a noncommital private doggerel, and a limitless supply of Bowie clones to handle the vocal chores, this is Anglodisco at its most solemnly expedient. It lacks even the forced cheerfulness of (whatever happened to?) Haircut 100 (wait, I don't really want to know), as if it had as many hooks as A Flock of Seagulls (not bloody likely) it still wouldn't be silly enough to be any fun. C-

Seven and the Ragged Tiger [Capitol, 1984]

As public figures and maybe as people, these imperialist wimps are the most deplorable pop stars of the postpunk if not post-Presley era. Their lyrics are obtuse at best, and if you'd sooner listen to a machine sing than Simon Le Bon, what are you going to do with both? Yet the hit singles which lead off each side are twice as pleasurable as anything Thomas Dolby is synthesizing these days. Which had better teach you something about imperialism. C+

Decade [Capitol, 1989]

Liars till the end, they pretend their decade didn't end around 1984-'85, when U.K. new pop conquered the world and went phfft. But the best-of proves it. First side's all anyone needs of the brightly tuneful meaninglessness that made them video stars, and after side two cut one, "The Reflex," they sink into an anonymity relieved only by the greatest record they never made, Nile Rodgers's "Notorious," and the softcore closer "All She Wants." Sometimes I think the little girls don't understand a damn thing. B-

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

Is this guy the biggest hack alive?

How does he systematically manage to misjudge the quality of albums?

They aren't that good anyway, but then I'm more of a metal guy.

It really is. Up there with Depeche Mode's best.

Jeez, they ripped off Bowie, Roxy and Japan, who ripped off in turn. Scaruffi may have a point.

You mean still inferior to Alphaville and Visage?

he's right, bands aren't allowed to follow each other's footsteps ever at all, originality is the sole criterium of quality in music and totally isn't just a way to provide novelty value to nerds with ADHD who grow tired of entire music genres within two weeks.

new romantic killing joke makes me want to killing joke myself

That is so glucose.

this is literally the basis of how scaruffi critiques
i think this approach does have a lot of value, but yes you do end up with autistic things like an irrational hatred of bowie and high scores for early nu metal

>Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futility to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music.

David Bowie died of cancer in January 2016.

no he simply went to the black lodge

Fuck this guy.

>Alphaville and Visage
Of all the bands to put over Duran Duran, why these two piles of mediocrity?

>talking shit about Alphaville

Bowie had to go. His planet needed him.

I killed Christgau with my big fucking dick

this is an 18+ website

yeah but at the last minute scientists kidnapped him and locked him up in a fake mansion where they kept him boozed up and then they sealed his contact lenses to his eyes so nobody could ever find out that he's a space lizard and then his girlfriend came back and she was old and they played table tennis and then the scientists stopped giving a shit so he managed to escape and then he recorded an album and kept getting boozed up forever cause his space family was dead anyway cause he never came back with water cause he was too busy getting boozed up on Earth to help them.

>the final two tracks are phenomenal.

They really are.

this
scaruffi is a hack