QOTSA Villains

Thoughts?
I find it extremely mediocre, almost bad.
Is it me or did they also fuck up the mixing?

Can someone make a pepe/wojak version of this. Thanks in advance

Listening to the singles on youtube made me think that they completely sacrificed any low end the album might've had for intricate basslines too high up the guitar's neck. It worked on Like Clockwork fine but I'm not sure about this one.

Yeah. They did get a new bass player and the drummer hasn't been with them for too long either.

I'm not going to listen to it until Christmas

Michael Shuman was the bass player on LC too wasn't he? He's great but doesn't sound mixed in properly here.

I believe he was.
The guitar's fuzzyness and the bass seem to bleed into each other too much which makes it sound muddled and noisy. The drums aren't nearly as intricate as Grohl's or Castillo's beats either.

I think this could be the closest Homme got to his calling the band "robot rock" a while back, hence why the drums are like this probably. I mean the guy who's with them on drums since LC is pretty damn competent.

Oh he's definitely more than competent since he seems to be able to play Grohl's and Castillo's parts with ease, which is why I'm pretty disappointed with his playing on this album.

It's grown on me a lot after a 3rd listen. Un-Reborn Again and Hideaway are both trash tier, and since they're next to each other, I can thankfully skip them and get straight to The Evil Has Landed.

It's definitely the most easily digestible QOTSA album, which makes me feel like Homme is running out of ideas, or he's just tired of QOTSA. Overall, a 7/10, which makes it my lowest ranked album by them.

>It's definitely the most easily digestible QOTSA
Also the most boring. I gotta listen to it a bit more but something tells me I won't start liking it much.

Every other QOTSA album has had an immediate punch for me at first listen, but Villains didn't. That's not a good thing. I just hope Josh and co put out one more GOAT-tier QOTSA album before Josh puts the band to rest.

Took a couple listens through to get it. I think it's a good album, just not a good QOTSA album. It'll give new listeners a great place to start from at the very least.

Not worth the wait desu

Long-term QTSA fans will be disappointed

>still can't find a high quality version

Got mine on rutracker

I'd recommend Lullabies to Paralyze and Songs for the Deaf to new listeners.

You can torrent flac version, not that it makes a difference since they fucked up the mix and made everything sound muddy.

Is Hideaway supposed to be this quiet?

I actually found the mixing to be a high point. My problem was that all the songs sounded generic and contrived. Feet Don't Fail Me was pretty good

Feet don't fail me and the evil has landed might be the only ones I like on first listen

I think it might need a bit of distance, same with lust for life and concrete and gold.

I'll take As You Were for my summer album

>mixing is bad
>songs are even worst
yup

I bought the album on CD, and Hideaway is quiet. It's also a skippable song, so not really much of a problem.

What the fuck where they thinking? "Yeah this one is kinda weak, maybe if we turn it down no one will notice"?

yup, just like how they thought making the drums sound like a toy kit would distract from how underwritten many of the songs are.

/thread

i thought it was really dark and industrial sounding
lyrics like "if i had a shotgun i'd blow myself to hell" and then the next song had fucking german in it
I then realized i was actually listening to Naive by KMFDM
haven't listened to the actual album yet

Sasha Grey is a big KMFDM fan.

they're not bad honestly

With all the reviews going around, I thought it'd be pretty good, especially that fucking stereogum piece. But listening to it a couple times now, I wonder how anyone can claim that this isn't just LC but strictly worse on all accounts.

Seriously, what the fuck was that stereogum article.

Most basic, boring, and uninspirsed QotSA album so far.

Band is dead. Everything after Lullabies is over produced and boring.

Like Clockwork is probably their best. And this is coming from someone who has followed Homme since the Kyuss days.

Then again, I go to the extremes. Before LC was released, my favorite qotsa album was the ST.

It grew on me after the third listen. Hideaway is the weakest song on the album, pretty much skippable.

Feet Don't Fail Me is the best rock album opener in years though. Dat intro.

What the fuck is up with the hate for Hideaway!? I thought it was one of better songs here. That main melody is infectious.

I liked it.

QOTSA hasn't been the same since they fired Nick. Rated R is amazing and Songs, very good.

ST is the best album and LC is EV2. Which is to say it sucks.

Fortress stinks and has lyrics that are cringe as fuck. Hideaway is pretty catchy

I think its an Ok album, their worst for sure. Favourite track is probably the first, and least favourite is the fotress one. 7/10 all said and done.

do people still not use deezeloader?

He's way more technical than either of those guys...

Pretty sure he didn't have much input on these drum parts or at the very least stuck to the simple dancey style homme and ronson wanted.

I've never liked any Queens record on a first listen and this was no different. I'm gonna give it a few more listen before I form an opinion.

Band turned to shit when Hommes vocals became the focal point.

uninspired lazy garbage.

It's way too simple and goes nowhere.