MERZBOW

What are some notable merzbow albums? He has such an extensive catalog so which ones are essential or stand out? Also, if you don't like merzbow, just don't post in this thread, dickhead, it's so easy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w_2sbeZqAFU
youtube.com/watch?v=FgOg6aYqASY
paperbark.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Flare gun is a short, fun little burst of noise

Green Wheels and Tauromachine I remember being pretty enjoyable noise.

If you want brutal, Pulse Demon, Venereology, and Akasha Gulva are probably some of the better ones. Akasha Gulva is the most brutal, but Pulse Demon is the one I find most enjoyable.

All of the "remix" albums have really intricate layering. Hybrid Noisebloom and Space Metalizer are the ones I like. They're both pretty exhausting though desu.

Zara is cool
Really short n sweet
And its not only made up of static which is BORING

Thanks, I am listening to pulse demon right now(was when I made the thread) and will check out the ones you mentioned that I wasn't already familiar with. I'm not new to merzbow but have only really own/spent a lot of time with 5-10 of his albums. A few I own on cd, a few digitally. It sucks that pulse demon is out of print on cd, like you, I enjoy it a lot.

>Space Metalizer
Oh yeah that's ones cool too

Oh cool
Which ones are your favorites?

I like them all in some way. I own:
1930, Amlux and Hatobana(2 disc edition) on cd
and
Pulse Demon, Venereology and Merzbeat digitally
I enjoy them all in some way, just depends on the mood, Merzbeat was good as an intro to merzbow but it's the one I listen to the least nowadays because it lacks harshness. Amlux is cool if you want to see merzbow tackle synth drone. 1930 and Pulse Demon are both similar to my ears, with Pulse Demon being harsher, I think. The first track on Venereology is probably the harshest merzbow track I've heard.

oh, I forgot to mention Hatobana. It's a newer release in 2 or 3 discs depending on which set you bought. I have the 2 disc one and it' basically analog noise with some tracks that use drums(not a drum kit but like japanese drums) and a string instrument of some sort. The album isn't on youtube but a 1 minute preview is, so check it out:
youtube.com/watch?v=w_2sbeZqAFU

Merzbox

Does anyone know how to distinguish good and bad noise "music"? I'm trying to dabble in making noise, but I don't know if it's good or not??

good harsh noise is really harsh (so a HNW album can still be good as long as it's powerful), shit harsh noise is either boring or dull in sound.

Amlux was what got me into Merzbow after years of thinking his entire discography was identical to Pulse Demon. I've started enjoying his more Musique Concrete style albums like Antimonument and Batztoutai with Memorial Gadgets.

Okay, so distortion/volume = good? There has to be something more complex than that.

I usually only give noise a second listen if it has an interesting timbre or character to it. I can put up with and enjoy harsh soundscapes but I generally listen for the personality of it. If you can make something that pleases your ear it will probably please another noise music listener.

Good noise: noise as a seconday genre
Bad noise: pure noise
Harsh noise idiots >>>/tumblr/

I like this a lot. Although it's just like a Burzum remix.
youtube.com/watch?v=FgOg6aYqASY

That's reasonable, I myself like noise elements in other genres (ambient, drone, industrial, techno) that's structured and not pure wall of noise. Any good stuff you guys listened to recently?

I'm the same way, I prefer noise when incorporated into other genres (mostly ambient) but I still explore the genre regardless.

On recommendations, I recently found this dude, his synths and overall composition sounds kinda organic or woody. Try giving him a listen:

paperbark.bandcamp.com/

huge sounds, love the distorted reverb ambience with hip hop lyric samples

Favorite Merzbow collab? Mine is Merzbow/PanSonic and Merzbow/XiuXiu

kinda didn't like the xiu xiu one
wasn't really into that metallic reverb going on for a lot of it
shame cause i was pretty exited for it

Venereology //10/Sounds like a whirlpool of brain melting lightning pounding my skull helping me ascend to a higher plane/Coser almost resembles music/ Ananga-Ranga

Fantail //9.8/Clouds hold onto you like a friend would grab you before you fall off of a cliff/Waterfall delves into the pyche of a tortured artist/loop based

Amlux //9.5/It has a different kind of tension rarely seen in Noise Music/Lengthy loops work in its favor/Looping Jane

Merzbear //9.4/Actually has a sense of progression/His most accessible album, without losing any of his unorthodox charm/ Lasers are a nice touch/part 1

Merzbeat //9.1/Sounds like Merzbow with drums/Great ammount of variety(no joke) with those electric guitars/Transition from tp into LJ is pure emotion itself/ SB

Keio Line //9.0/ a huge departure from his usual sound, seems like deep ambient noise and it's very refreshing/ Tokyo Electric Guerilla

Pinkream //8.9/Opens to walls of sound slowly crumbling like the Structure in Berlin/Clear Dr.Dre influences/16o63 feels like a space battle/Tuku Tuku

Flying Basket//8.6/His collaborators bring out a new side of his music and it's thoroughly enjoyable

Space Metalizer//8.5/Very clear conceptual vision,simulates the sound of the human body slowly turning into metal,while your loved ones watch,then turn back into person/part 2

Nezumimochi //8.3/Computer music is the new dad-rock and Mrz takes a self referential look at whether pushing his music in a more techy sound might actually be a step backwards

Merzbird //8.1/Great textures/ Meanders around the beat/ loops are strong but not overly distracting/ Mandarin Duck

Pulse Demon //8.0/Definitely his most overrated work but still noteworthy/ UMB resemble trap beat/WPE still one of his most challenging songs/ Spiral Blast

These are the best Merzbow albums.