ITT: We discuss ways we can get into space through homemade means. Only ways to simply get into space

ITT: We discuss ways we can get into space through homemade means. Only ways to simply get into space

A friend has one of those in his backyard he got off of Craigslist. It looks like it came in a kit, but we have yet to find who makes it

If its not air tight, then its a problem

That's what a tube of caulk is for, idiot!

Ok smart man, how would you get it off the ground and up into orbit?

>tube of caulk
vs
>near-perfect vacuum

Duct tape about 350 Roman candles to each leg. This is what star trek calls 'impulse power's. Have friend light fuses and get away.
10,000,000 tubes vs 100,000 vacuums, Dyson sphere does not have chance

fart like hell - that will be enough

Tie it to a huge ass weather baloon. Why need to go to orbit? I tought we only needed to get to space.

Have a friend....thats for another thread.

why would a cigarette take you into space

How would one achieve an air tight seal? And could weather ballons take the craft up enough to where a rudimentary rocket could finish the job?

because marijuana

Guys, I just remember it need flight computer otherwise we may crash into the sun. Can someone take task for it?

I got this senpai.
Made by Sun Microsystems, so you it's to the task.

maybe if its really small, but there must be a reason for why profesionals not use balloons

The sun is a different problem, we are just trying to get a make shift craft into space

Where do we put the shitter?

Probably because they are sending shuttles that arent small

Plastic bag, easy.

Literally bare bones. No navigation, no sustainability, no engine. Just building and getting a craft that will hold air into space

get enough air bollons, tie it to a inclosed metal space. Also bring a abunch of air tanks and a paratute for when you get to high or come crashing down you can survive.

I take it you don't want to enter orbit, because to do so you would need an enormous amount of thrust. Can't be done by any homemade means unless you are really rich. If you just want to go as high as you can balloons would do it, but there is a lot more to consider then just air. Look up the guy who has the record for the highest skydive.

This may sound stupid but what about controlled explosions for thrust?

You need to move 7 miles/sec to escape earth's gravity and maintain orbit. Any less and the earth pulls you right back down.

enjoy your solar radiation shitface

Congratulations you have learned what rocket exhaust is

>t. guy who doesn't know the meaning of escape velocity

escape velocity is the instantaneous velocity you need when leaving a body in a vacuum to get infinitely far away from it.

If you have were on a big homogeneous ball in an infinite vacuum and you wanted to get infinitely far away from it you would need to jump off it at the escape velocity

So with that, if we knew how far a weather ballon could take you we could find the distance needed to travel that 7 miles a second. In turn we would know the burn time needed

we are in space you retard.

I trust this man. I didnt know Bill Nye the science guy is on Sup Forums

Off the top of my head:

Conventional weather balloons may be able to get you to around ~31km altitude; however from there, you would still need a very large amount of thrust (Delta V) in order to achieve orbit. If you somehow overcame this problem, you would need to very carefully calibrate the impulse so that it doesn't destroy your vehicle through structural stresses / vibrations. Max Q will still be an issue, even at such a low atmospheric pressure, so your craft will need to be lightweight, airtight, but also strong enough to withstand the stresses. Not an easy task without proper tools and materials.

Around 80km altitude is considered a decaying orbit, so if you planned to stay up there, you would need to achieve an altitude greater than this. Other factors to consider: direction of orbit; orbital eccentricity; radiation protection for passage through the radiation bands & space; some form of heat pump to prevent your vehicle from overheating; carbon scrubbers to keep the air clean; a functioning airlock to remove waste & weight if necessary; solar panels and batteries for power; a heat shield and drogue chute for re-entry (if you don't plan on dying); antenna and an earth based telemetry system (GPS/GLONAS wont function at the altitudes and speeds required in this experiment) for guidance / heads up for space debris; some form of maneuvering thrusters to move the craft in case of emergency; the list goes on...

tl;dr its very difficult, even if you plan on dying.

to elaborate: the heat pump is not related to any engine / thruster component; Space is very cold but its also very insulating. A warm human body inside a vehicle the volume of the one in OPs picture would very quickly heat the interior of the craft to uncomfortable, even deadly levels without proper heat exchange.

yo I got a dyson ball, it's a good vacuum.

Thank you user, your insight is very tasty to say the least. I know that since this has intrigued me more, that im not grasping the depth of these problems. Im not detoured from exploring this idea.

Well the picture was just to show what would be intended, a one man vehicle, built purely for exploration, and may not .

So you're saying its possible.

> java
OH God

Well doesn't it take 100k mph to get into orbit then close to 300k mph to leave the earth orbit? No caulk can handle that

This is a really concise description of the most important stuff I can think of
You're pretty good.
Especially the space debris shit, it's absurd how damaging that stuff can be and there's a lot of it. Thankfully "orbit" is quite a large volume we're talking about so you're pretty safe for the most part, but any crashes with debris will cause more debris to break off.

Apparently someone solved some pretty ropey differential equation for debris generation and found that there was an instability after which debris will catastrophically generate more debris in orbit until it becomes impossible for any ship to escape earth.
Kessler syndrome or something

>acquire a few weather balloons online
>acquire helium
>tie self to weather balloons
>float to 130,000 feet
>congrats, you're pretty much in space

yes, but not very efficient. The use of balloons to gain altitude is almost worthless, as the most important part is achieving a large enough velocity.

If you look at the equation for orbital velocity, the distance (from the centre of the earth) that the orbital velocity is calculated with (r) wouldn't change significantly from ground level to ~30km.

If you feel like wasting time, try calculating the delta v required to achieve an 80km elliptical orbit from ground level vs 30km altitude. Not much of a saving for the added weight and complexity of the balloon system.

Its a frightening concept based on constructive wave interference, but luckily for us, simply moving in the direction of the debris is enough to negate the danger.

forgot to include image

>implying it's difficult to wrap oneself in tin foil

All you need is a trash can and a circuit board, newfag

get 20 boxes of fireworks and tape them around you on several belts

stand up straight, apply one fuse to the lot and light it

Op did not state survivability as a requirement.

Therefore my choice is pic related.