At which age is it too late to learn how to play an instrument decently?

at which age is it too late to learn how to play an instrument decently?

If you weren't on that shit by the time you were about 11, it's probably too late to reach shred-master-tier, but it's never too late to become a solid accompanist or composer/arranger.

i played viola since i was 7 and stopped when i was around 13. i dont remember shit though

i'd disagree, I think if you put in the work you can become really proficient at anything honestly.
OP if you're contemplating learning an instrument just do it my man.

too late for what? you want to go mainstream? lmao

55 when you start becoming weak handed, but after 25 you look pathetic anyways so dont even both.

too late to not be shit at playing an instrument

N E V E R

T O O

L A T E

in that case 65 probably

>I think if you put in the work you can become really proficient at anything honestly.
I'm going to rape your dog.

>play an instrument decently

if you're going to die in 10 minutes from now it's gonna be hard to learn enough music to claim that your music is important, other than that you should be good.

Older musicians pick up new instruments all the time. It's a good way to challenge yourself. Just do it and if you get good than it's a bonus.

Technique and instruments themselves are just a tool to communicate with others. The worst players are the ones with technical competence but no restraint or taste. Too many people get caught up in having the most beautiful toolbox with the shiniest toys rather than thinking about what they are constructing and who they are constructing it with.

So just have fun user it's never too late to try something new.

Past the age of 17 you're fucked for life bro.

I love this post.

>The worst players are the ones with technical competence but no restraint or taste.

That's because they lack empathy. Eventually they'll have some life-changing experience when they realize their technical proficiency isn't worth anything by itself, and then they'll find their family of other dorks who also spent all their time practicing. (I come from exactly the opposite background.)

From the research I've done on countless artists in my time, I'd say 19-20 is the range where it's no longer heard of, as far as when an artist got their start. And that's just saying that I've never heard of an artist picking up an instrument past age 18, so it shouldn't stop you. Hendrix didn't even start playing the guitar until he was 16. Science today states that the brain doesn't reach full maturity until age 25, so there's also that. How old are you, OP? and what instrument are you trying to learn? If you're really old, I'd say piano would be your best bet.

Depends on the instrument
Doesn't mean being bad at the instrument you play is a good thing

Proficiency isn't master level. Reliability plus proficiency is fine for club dates, musical theater, church and weddings and things of that nature, but rarely will someone picking it up into their teenage years become concert soloist or mainstream artist quality stuff.

The way children learn makes it so that they can absorb a lot more technical vocabulary and idioms through actual musical material. Adult students have to woodshed on abstract technical ideas in order to apply them to real pieces and ideas. Having an adult brain makes learning more tedious and you cover less ground in more time but the individual might have more discipline than they did when they were 7. Just the way things are...

18, would like to maybe try electronic keyboard (and piano maybe) aand bass. ive had some experience with piano, i was in a music school for 6 years and the last one i was introduced to it a bit

>I'm going to rape your dog.
please don't.

You're never going to be good at something the first time you try it and you're never going to look cool learning something. If that's your attitude than you might as well quit life.

I agree with this post too, and I just wanna tack on to that

If you truly pick up an instrument and do it for YOURSELF, and no one else,
I believe that you (or anyone) can write something good. It's too easy to get
wrapped up in outside factors (does this sound good? are people gonna
like this? am i playing proficiently?). The sound of a single note being hit
in of itself is beautiful. Learn how to play music that you and only you will
enjoy, and then start writing, and like I said, I guarantee you'll come up with
something good.

??? Reading comprehension nigga

Being that fag who just do sweeppicking at guitar center all day is annoying but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to be good at guitar. There's nothing wrong with being able to do all those technical shit when the time calls. Are you a grungefag by any chance?

Hey OP, you're fine! You're so young, you can probably become really proficient at just about any instrument you want to. I can't think of any examples right now, but I know I've heard of artists picking up their instruments at age 18 before. I'm 22, and I've been playing guitar since I was about 12, but there are people I know that have started 2, 4 years after me that are just as good if not better than I am. Take a look at this post, I wrote it just now for you to read.

thanks, thats encouraging. i still dont plan to learn though, dont have money and im currently living with flatmates that i know wont be grateful about me playing loud instruments....

this
but also this

not true at all, ive been playing since 17 and can shred decently, my friend whos been playing since 16 can sweep and do other meme techniques, its all about practice

I started learning guitar at 18. It's been a year and I'm doing well. Several people have complimented my fast learning. It's never too late.

I know people can move their fingers fast. Can you play those same meme techniques with any kind of articulation and dynamics at any click on the metronome at will, and nail it at least 95 times in 100?

That's when you're approaching master level. Listen to the great classical soloists. Shit's scary if you know what to look for, to be quite honest.

Well you should try to learn, it'd be worth it. An acoustic guitar or a keyboard wouldn't be that loud.

i dont know much about guitars yet, if i were to learn how to play an acoustic guitar would it be easy to later on learn how to play bass?

Just get into synths desu.

Providing low frequency is a very different mindset than leads and countermelodies and such. If you want to be a bass player, learn about bass.

It's never really too late to learn piano. String instruments might not fair so well with softer skin if you're 60+.
Woodwind might interest you, brass would be more difficult than that.
Percussion, may not be the best choice, but also not the worst.