Daily reminder that goth/post-punk is better than punk

Daily reminder that goth/post-punk is better than punk.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-uSVse6DDCg
youtube.com/watch?v=Z3KcJIdprJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=ijxk-fgcg7c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Heggie
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

daily reminder you're a fucking faggot

You are very brave for saying this here OP.

Found the underage punk. Go drink some beer and trash a venue to the same three chords, you angsty fuck.

It's the truth, user.

It's true

no. objectively no.

sorry.

You'll grow up some day.

I have that Eraserhead t shirt

Nah it's irredeemable musically. Doesn't have the intensity/energy of punk rock while also severely restricting its experimental and atmospheric capabilities by being stuck to pop structures.

ad-hominem.

Nigga, Bauhuas alone has both of those things. Bela Lugosi's Dead is atmospheric as fuck, and Double Dare is more intense than any first wave punk song, if we're talking about straight up punk and not hardcore shit.

How many layers of irony is everyone here on?

>this heat
>glenn branca
>nick cave
>chrome
>pere ubu
>public image ltd
>the pop group
>swans
>television
>wire
have you listened to any of these?

More like ad-homoninem

Zero. Goth/Post-Punk are objectively better.

That's clearly the third level though.

like five or six, my dude

>Bela Lugosi's Dead
Does have an atmospheric start, but then proceeds to be pop structure jam band rip off crap. Not overall that atmospheric.
>Double Dare
Has a heavy sounding riff that's not even that heavy, and overall intensity is still much lower than first wave punk since it still has muh shitty melodrama vocals rather than punchy in your face vocals.
Yes. Branca isn't post-punk you fucking retard. His solo non Theoretical Girls stuff isn't even musically no wave.

But This Heat is arguably the stupidest bullshit out there. You got this track like Paper Hats. It's fucking six minutes long and consists of just three phrases each one to two measures long. How fucking boring.

There's Television who played the most boring wank out there due to lack of harmonic knowledge and ability to deliver more creative rhythms.

Or most of those others who attempted to be experimental yet weren't actually that original, often copying from much more experimental krautrock or jazz or electronic musicians that came before them.

Only Swans and Glenn Branca are the good ones there.

There's no way you listened to both songs all the way through. The build up on Double Dare is ridiculous. I bet you clicked away when the dramatic vampire vocals started in the beginning. The vocals are very punchy at the end. He's fucking screaming.
>I DAAAAAAARE YOUUUUU
>IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
>IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
>YOUUUUUUUUU
>YOUUUUUUUUU

Are Joy Division goth, post-punk, or new wave?
All of these terms are confusing to me.

reminder that proto punk is better than post punk

dude i love post-punk. but bauhaus isn't actually good. one of the worst bands that got popular

Joy Division were post-punk.
>post-punk
Punk's mature older brother. He was a punk once, but he's grown up.
>goth
Pretty much post-punk with bigger hair and spookier subject matter. It's a bit more atmospheric.
>new wave
Pretty much post-punk once the mainstream caught a hold of it. A bit poppier, and tends to be more electronic and accessible.

gothic rock is a subgenre of post-punk
new wave is the poppier counterpart of punk rock
joy division are post-punk, not new wave at all but maybe proto-goth

reminder that proto-punk is not a real genre

This. It's so stupid to retroactively attach the word "punk" to a bunch of 60s rock bands just because they broke a few rules.

daily reminder that this garbage is as deep as a cup of chris chan's navy

I can't be the only one who thinks this song sounds like post-punk. I could honestly hear Joy Division covering this.
youtu.be/-uSVse6DDCg

But it's not, it has simple poppy songwriting, no energy, and has even more vain aesthetic focus than pop punk. It's the favorite genre of /fa/ and tumblr for a reason.

reminder that The Cure is literally the best rock band of all time, and that Smith is a much better songwriter than Lennon/McCartney

I don't know OP but you got me hungry for some post-punk now

This

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3KcJIdprJ4
post-punk is the best wave of "alt rock", no ideas had been done to death yet and there were still sonic possibilities yet to be explored with electronic instruments etc.
(the others being 60's psychedelia and garage experiments, (late) 80's-90's american-led college rock and indie rock from 2000s onwards)

Can't argue with that

>tfw most modern post punk bands want to be Joy Division or Nick Cave
>nobody wants to be Pere Ubu or This Heat

>accessible
I think Devo and Talking Heads' first three albums might disagree.

Are you kidding? They're literally pop records. You need to listen to more music.

>Nobody wants to be Bauhaus

>this is what Curefags actually believe

or Josef K or Gang of Four
it's weird how post-punk basically equals proto-goth nowadays

This Heat can't really exist outside their era, they were a product of the seemingly imminent death in nuclear fire
An Ubu-esque band could work though, their themes of madness associated with isolation and alienation would fit in fine with how lonely social media makes some people

Nah, it's weak baby stuff. Catchy pop music trying to be spooky.

i think there was a conscious tongue in cheek element in some and especially in early goth wasnt bela lugosi is dead basically a joke record or something?

>tfw I live in Texas
>tfw drinking black coffee and listening to The Cure in the middle of a hurricane

(you)

The Cure's 25 best songs are better than the Memeles 25 best songs

This is sarcasm, correct? CLT/Scaruffi/patrician-memeing basically made a good chunk of this board believe that you can't have good taste unless you primarily listen to krautrock, post-punk, and experimental rock.

That really isn't a controversial statement on this board

just like heaven

>implying this is wrong

Really digging the Goth and Proto-Goth stuff as well as all the Punk elements in it.

Already dived deep into Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Type O Negative, The Mission, Gene Loves Jezebel, The Cult, Christian Death, Ministry, Peter Murphy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and The Cure.

What else should I explore Sup Forums

I prefer proto punk and post punk to punk by a pretty vast margin.

Reminder that hardcore punk and emocore are better than goth/post-punk

You might like fad gadget - fireside favorites

What modern postpunk bands does Sup Forums like/recommend? I'm really into Parquet Courts, Ought, Preoccupations and Sleaford Mods.

soviet soviet, iceage, buerak

Chain of Flowers

Yes and it's true. Post-punk is undeniably better than puınk.

You might enjoy french coldwave. Asylum Party and Martin Dupont especially.

found the numale faggot

I've been listening to Belgrado a lot lately, they are pretty good.

Modern post-punk is a vapid atrocity and the idea of doing a nostalgic, watered down retread of a genre that was all about innovation and doing away with the constraints of pop music history during its heyday is an offensive idea to me. You'd be better off just listening to the albums that Wire and The Fall put out this year than listening to Iceage or Parquet Courts or any of that other dogshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=ijxk-fgcg7c
Name a better song.

This.

how would you guys label The Stooges then?

>complains about the simplicity of (one) this heat track and poor metric and harmonic knowledge of television
>prefers swans

Dude I like Swans, but they are as minimalistic as they come. They often stretch out rudimentary riffs for minutes on end.

(very) hard rock

Yes, but early Swans plays a style of music that is far more abrasive, heavy, and hard hitting than post-punk (probably why that earlier stuff had a bigger influence on hardcore and metal than anything else). Using simplicity, repetition, and mostly very percussive timbres with one abrasive one usually to create a sense of endlessly being beat down is fantastic. Sure certain forms of post-punk whether its more industrial inspired This Heat or the noise rock of Brainbombs attempts to do this as well, but they don't even get close to being as intense.

Jesus and Mary Chain
The Normal
early Human League(pre-Dare)
John Foxx

Fields of the Nephilim

Dead Can Dance
Cocteau Twins
Clan of Xymox

Cocteau Twins were only dreary in their first album Garlands and some songs in their second album Head Over Heels. Anything since Treasure is more dream pop than post-punk or goth. Lowlife has their ex-bassist Will Heggie in all their albums and sound more goth than any Cocteau Twins song without him.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Heggie

Punk rock.

Zolo

Daily reminder that Grunge is better than anything punk.

got any recommendations?

Daily reminder that both are over-saturated with try-hard faggots that care more about image than anything else.

If you liked Type O Negative you might like other early/formative goth metal acts from the early/mid 90s like Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and early Anathema. Katatonia's also pretty good but their status is weirdly contested considering they've openly admitted to drawing influence from bands like The Cure and Slowdive in their early albums. For my money Dance of December Souls is a genre classic.

holy shit Katatonia is hard

thanks for the recommendation

Fuckk off, Tumblr.

i like pop punk

Kill yourself

ouch!