Explain to me why this album is praised so highly

Explain to me why this album is praised so highly.

It doesn't sound that interesting - you don't get much more out of it on the 5th listen compared to the 1st

The singer is legit bad. His voice is too fucking goofy to try to pull of the more serious sound they're going for, he'd be better off in a new wave band

I also don't give a shit how "influential" it was. The unforgivably shit rock and indie rock that spawned from this is not a fucking plus

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OULLiXkwVck
youtube.com/watch?v=GNkWac-Nm0A
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ht5RZpzPqw
youtube.com/watch?v=YmAnzLxI-cA
youtube.com/watch?v=uHv5ggS3Kew
youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0
youtu.be/o3yXzRe5CfI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The unforgivably shit rock and indie rock that spawned from this is not a fucking plus
well there's you're problem op. you're retarded

If you're not a guitarist, you literally cannot fully "get" this album.

Snotty nosed art kids generally create the best rock, some of the most catchy yet intricate guitar work you'll hear in rock

listen to little johnny jewel
this band is more for people who like high pitched stuff -- the sound is very thin. the lyrics are imaginative and the music is original and rhythmically catchy. but for most people this album is a "grower". you might need more than five listens

Because it's one of the best double guitar albums of all time. They work together in a way that guitars simply hadn't, or at least very rarely did, before this album. It wasn't "this guitar's rhythm, this one's lead" the play complex bits around each other.

Not OP.
But I am and I dont like it at all.

Why don’t you read the praise. Then you’ll see.

These

also, if you can't appreciate the incredible songwriting on the title track literally stop listening to music. the extended break in the middle of that song is one of the greatest achievements in rock music. the way that after it reaches its ecstatic peak, Tom coming back in with a passionate "I REMEMMBEEEERRRRR" is incredibly thrilling.

>Television's innovativepost-punkinstrumentation onMarquee Moonstrongly influenced theindie rockandnew wavemovements of the 1980s, as well as rock guitarists such asJohn Frusciante,Will Sergeant, andThe Edge.
>the Edge

Yeah thanks so much for u2 guys

i honestly don't understand how anybody could listen to this song from 77 and not appreciate it.
youtube.com/watch?v=OULLiXkwVck
maybe you just have shit taste..

Are all rock fans like this?

>guitar music
>good
Pick only one.

>waaaah his voice is weird

someone clearly doesn't know shit about post-punk or anything related

GOD DAMN IT TELEVISION IS PUNK NOT POST PUNK STOP REWRITING HISTORY YOU MILLENIAL FUCKING SHITS

It's art punk you flaming faggot

this is making me sad. what kind of music do you like?/to what extent do you understand music theory?

do you not like the guitar solos on it?

all punk is art you cocksmoking leather lover

Rock is dead.

does anyone have any advice on telling which guitar is Verlaine and which is Lloyd? wikipedia lists who plays the solos on each song, but what about the rest?

>being so deep in the "U2 has always sucked" meme that you shit in everything involving them

I swear to God this board has gone braindead. Yeah, U2 pretty much sucks nowadays, but from War (arguably from Boy onwards) to Zooropa they were actually quite innovative, especially The Edge and how he basically revolutionized mainstream guitar, what with using guitar as texture and not soloing, which was unheard of in a band as famous as U2.

we're talking about an album from 1977 user.

also, it's not dead. it just went underground again which is for the better anyways.

god that title track is good
OP just needs to keep listening to that and then the rest will click

>much music theory
It's just fucking rock you pretentious dickwad.

>u2 are good
Even more reason to write off Telivishit

I am, and the singer ruins the album for me.

>It's just fucking rock
>generalizing THIS much
that's like dismissing the works of michelangelo because it's just fucking art. educate yourself before you go saying stupid shit like this.

also good job dodging my questions. i bet you listen to strictly shit hop and you know nothing about theory

>it just went underground again
The Velvet Underground

th-that's n-not possible
Sup Forums told me it was good

>dismissing the works of michelangelo because it's just fucking art
That's not analogous to what he said.

>that idiot ITT claiming you need to know music theory to understand a punk album

>putting this and Michelangelo in the same sentence
Rocktards are so delusional

cringe

You guys really haven't disproved him.

If anything all this thread is doing is proving how good it is

Tom's voice is an excellent pleb filter and its working like a charm

you're completely missing point. i'm not comparing the two artists you simpletons. i'm comparing the mediums. here is an enormous spectrum of quality and variety within the umbrella term of "rock". same as the umbrella term of "art"

you can call both of these "rock" music but they're lightyears apart in terms of quality and sound
youtube.com/watch?v=GNkWac-Nm0A
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ht5RZpzPqw

same goes for art. duchamp's urinal and michelangelo's sistine chapel are both art, but there's obviously a huge difference between the two.

>a punk album
>generalizing again

you guys need to stop being so categorically black and white.

Art would be equivalent to music as a whole. You're comparing a style of one to the entirety of the other.

It's only proving how retarded rock fans and how they over-inflate the quality of proto-U2 rock

Rock is just popular music for entertainment.

Wow, I never realized how hopelessly plebeian this board is. You kids should go back to listening to young thug and lil peep. Leave the discussion of actually good music to those who are old enough to post here.

fuck off samefag

>not knowing that The Edge was one of the first who popularized the use of guitar to create textures

They're all in /classical/, not talking about rock lmao

He should know his limits

David Byrne is a great vocalist but if he tried to do crooner shit like Frank Sinatra he'd be fucking awful

>he's still thinking in strictly black and white terms.
sure that's what rock music started out as. and sure that's what popular rock music continues to be, but how are you just gonna ignore the thousands if not hundreds of thousands of rock artists who make experimental music that obviously isn't aiming for popular appeal?

>for entertainment
that's the main reason why anyone listens to any music you dunce

fine. compare music to sculpture then. or painting. or literature. that doesn't make any difference. my point still stands

The album is so good, that even music snobs like Christgau and Scaruffi say it's god-tier

Personally, I don't trust people who don't like this album

What's experimental music for to with this thread? They're punk rock. Stop trying to pretend your favourite band are anything more than.

I don't trust samefags yet here you are trying.

If I could upvote comments here I'd upvote this!

this is the most useless pseudo argument to make in place of a real one, not everyone that disagrees with you is the same person
you can't even prove it, youre given proof and you go "lol nice inspect element"

Given proof of what? Where?

Christgau loves punk/post-punk, etc. so this is right up his alley. Now Scaruffi is a true snob contrarian so I'm surprised he likes it

whenever someone accuses somebody of samefagging and the accused posts a screenshot showing otherwise, all anyone wants to do is just assume they used inspect element, it's pointless and doesn't do anything for discussion

He's shitposting, just give up.

>They're punk rock.
i can't believe you still don't understand what i'm trying to say.
all of these are called "punk rock." do they sound even remotely similar to you?
youtube.com/watch?v=YmAnzLxI-cA
youtube.com/watch?v=uHv5ggS3Kew
youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0

Sure Television isn't the most avant garde band, but their sound was extremely unique for the time and if you think they were just some sell-outs making radio music then you should seriously re-evaluate your categorization of music.

also, they're definitely not my favorite band.

>I've got no argument, I'll just call it bait
lol

wow you sure are retarded.

what even is your argument user? aside from calling everyone who disagrees with you (the majority of music consumers) the same person

Still all punk rock.

It's so pathetic classical and jazz can have massive rec threads for literally that but rocktards have to call every band a different sub, sub, sub, sub, subgenre label.

how does this legitimately make anyone that's been here for more than a week upset

That wasn't me.

All my argument was "its just rock" and user went on autism spastic fit about sub, sub, sub, sub, subgenres lls

I didn't call it bait, and what argument shall I have to respond to masterpieces such as:
>much music theory
>It's just fucking rock you pretentious dickwad.
>It's only proving how retarded rock fans and how they over-inflate the quality of proto-U2 rock
>Rock is just popular music for entertainment.
But hey, someone did bite and you've received your (You)s.

10/10 thread

>lls
hey /bleep/

>he'd be better off in a new wave band
is this bait?

Alright, you've confirmed it. Just leave this thread people. What are serialism, modern classical, baroque, free jazz, avant-garde jazz, etc.?

I mean, the interplay thing was a huge thing in jazz, but in the context of rock or poo music, it was definitely unheard of.

All those are correct, what's the problem?

Music theory isn't relevant here
It is just rock
user was overinflating this album
Rock IS just popular music for entertainment

Way to ignore the point.

>entertainment
again, that's the main reason why anyone listens to any music
holding popular music to the standard of art music is dumb as shit
>inb4 that's what he was doing
he's wrong too

>it's just "specific genre"
>wow why are you being so autistic about categorizing genres?
you're contradicting yourself user. i don't give a fuck what you call it. my whole point is that you can't just pigeonhole a bunch of artists into one specific category by dismissing it as simply (insert genre here)

there will always be an enormous spectrum of variation within any artistic genre or medium or movement. stop generalizing and critique each artist individually for once.

you may say that television and the germs are the same because they're both punk music but in reality they sound NOTHING alike. not because they belong to different sub-genres but because the music that they're playing sounds different.

idk why this is so difficult for you.

You're doing it again. Get help.

>You're doing it again. Get help.
idk wht you're talking about but i feel like you're just trolling at this point

Just like you're doing now? I've provided examples. Art music has subgenres and movements too.

Scaruffi still likes punk, like Fugazi and Husker Du and post-punk like This Heat, so why shouldn't he like this?

it's a well done album, and very original which is what pretty much what Scaruffi bases a huge chunk of his ratings on

r/gatekeeping is that way

The fact that art music used to be and to some extent still is considered notated music (classical music and jazz) doesn't make other genres of "popular music" not art or worthless. A perfect example would be Pierre Boulez conducting Zappa's orchestral work. Oh, and by the way, his music is still performed by orchestras to this day. Just one example:
youtu.be/o3yXzRe5CfI

his first post was I truly don't know what you expected

>start thread asking for jazz
>always get recs

>start thread asking for classical
>always get recs or linked to their 2000 years of music downloads

>start thread asking for rock
>YOU STUPID FUCKING UNDERAGE RAP FAN THAT GUY HAS A *RED* PEDAL SO IT'S A DIFFERENT FUCKING SUB, SUB, SUB, SUB, SUB, SUBGENRE YOU RETARDED CUNT HOLY SHIT

Prove I'm wrong. Prove guitar music is objectively good.

(You)

>>start thread asking for classical
>>always get recs or linked to their 2000 years of music downloads
Good joke

what is this thread

>Prove guitar music is objectively good.
the burden of proof lies on the party making the claim. prove it's objectively bad or fuck off.

a retard who hates rock music for no reason and a classical elitist trying to shit on a classic album.

I can't, you can't prove otherwise so there is nothing wrong with my first post

*a shit rock album

What does it being a rock album have to do with anything?

>I can't prove that I'm right but you can't prove that I'm wrong
classic

It's not that bad, listen to Talking Heads or Pixies, these are way fucking worse and still considered as masterpieces and influential bands

What's wrong with guitar music, I don't understand. Have you been beaten up with a strato by your dad when you were little? Even Paco De Lucia plays a guitar. Isn't that good?

Sorry this meant for this

anyone know? not even music theory snob?

I made my point, not my fault you're too stupid to grasp it.

>if I close my eyes hard enough the burden of proof will go away

long live rock

>talking heads
>bad

Bad opinion

*a shit post desu

>how a babby reacts to losing an argument