Hey Sup Forumsros. I'm sad. Girl issues. I don't really want to talk about it...

Hey Sup Forumsros. I'm sad. Girl issues. I don't really want to talk about it, but I'm sitting here and I feel the depression creeping in. Having a hobby wouldn't help, cause depression just makes you want to not do anything. Even bought a new game, and it doesn't help.

So I just wanna have a casual feels thread and talk. What's on your mind? I'll care as long as the thread lasts, so tell me all about it.

Favorite book, go.

>Having a hobby wouldn't help, cause depression just makes you want to not do anything.

Lol. Isn't that the worst part?

What game did you buy?

I don't read many books. I liked The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, have yet to finish it though. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas has always been a great read for me. Just tonight actually, my sister let me borrow this book "Just Kids" by Patti Smith, know it?

I bought 7 Days To Die

I do not. I'm all over the place with books, from self-improvement to fantasy novels. So far, "Inner Game of Tennis" (it's about teaching) and "Wizard of Earthsea" are among my favorites.

What can you tell me about "Just Kids"?

"It was the summer Contrane died, the summer of love and riots, and the summer when a chance encounter in Brooklyn led two young people on a path of art, devotion, and initiation. Patti Smith would evolve as a poet and performer, and Robert Mapplethorpe would direct his highly provocative style toward photography. 'Just Kids' begins as a love story and ends as an elegy. It serves as a salute to New York City during the late sixties and seventies and to its rich and poor, its hustlers and hellions. A true fable, it is a portrait of two young artists' ascent, a prelude to fame."
What my sister told me, its about Patti and late 60s/70s in NYC, and she gets aids from drug use and all this other shit. Sounds good, I'm a fan of the 60s and 70s.

You gotta find a group you belong to. It will make you feel better. Do you have a job op?

What about the 60's and 70's, exactly? Change in social tones, or just the changes in the arts/political scenes?

I do. I work at a call center for a Medicaid company. I only recently started, almost done withe the training. Great place it seems, career opportunity, but I don't honestly think I'll stay for a long time. I'm 19, still have a lot of dreams I want to accomplish. Everyone else there is like, 30+ at least, so I feel way out of place.

The music scene and acid culture. Everyone just seemed a little different, a bit better than most people these days. There was a good reason behind their politics and ideas, these days it's all just a bunch of dumb shit.

I can get behind the music scene in a big way. I presume you listen to a lot of that still? If so, list a few.

Fuck

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Joni Mitchell (my favorite), The Mamas & The Papas, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, the usual stuff.

Good list. Understanding your reticence towards a hobby, did you ever give the guitar or piano a go? Or is that a route you've pursued already?

I play guitar, was getting back into lately until this girl had to go and get me all depressed. And I have gone over the idea recently on buying a piano, and I do plan to, just waiting to save up a few paychecks so that i can get a good one.

Being a musicfag myself, I adamantly believe it's the cure to all ails of the soul. Good on you for playing. So what's your career?

I have no career. Refer to I hope though to learn coding and just get a decent job as a web dev.

Ahh, my fault.

Well, good on being gainfully employed, anyway. Buys time and pays the bills. Have you started studying for your certificates for the web bit? Only ask as I've let a number of opportunities slip away; hate to see others do same.

Thats cool and all, but consider this:

"Having a hobby wouldn't help, cause depression just makes you want to not do anything. "

If you can't even motivate yourself to play a game, imagine motivating yourself to learn a brand new musical instrument.

Just food for thought from someone who's currently staring at the $800 piano he never touches.

I had started courses online, but quit to focus on my job (it was when i was hired on). I'm waiting until I'm done with training, then gonna complete as many courses as possible, and go somewhere else and do it all again so that I can be sure I get different ideas and perceptions on each language. I want to assure I am good, before I go on to try and make it my career.

How does this webm make you feel as of right now?

girl I went on 2 dates with this week flaked on me twice despite making out with me and it fucking sucks, it's totally her fault and making me super mad

strangely uncomfortable

why don't you play it?

man, I've had girls talk to me for a while as though everything was gonna be super good, then out of fucking nowhere they blocked me on everything and never communicated with me again. Girls are strange and ignorant.

Okay, how about this one?

obviously happy

Don't do it all over again to gain new perspectives...

As a programmer this is a fools errand and will get you no where.

Learn a core language that suits your needes and wants. Then learn a few more after. Practice them.

To gain new perspectives READ CODE! Literally read it like you would a book. Follow it like a story. Use Git and find interesting projects. Read, practice and read some more.

trips and dubs

if I get quads I'll cheat on her

>why don't you play it?

Lack of motivation to really learn.

That was kind of my point. If you fond youraelf with a lack of motivation, learning piano is like learning a new skill and a new language simultaniously. It takes... Effort. And I just don't care enough about anything to put effort into anything anymore.

Thanks for the advice. If i were to finish the online courses, which involve a lot of languages and tests over them, good content, how long do you think it'd take me to get a decent job with the knowledge?

So why not sell it? Then spend the money on a small vacation. I thought about taking $300 and driving from Texas to California solo, just for a few days, just to get away from it all here. I missed the ocean. Didn't do it though, still have some time so i guess i could, but now because of the depression, just don't want to do anything.

I'm not 100% sure. I wish I could give you an answer to that.

I do know getting a programming job depends on location, portfolio, skill, knowledge depth, communication skills etc.

If I were you I'd be constantly looking for jobs while reading code and being active on a relivent Git project all the while working on your very own Portfolio.

Show your future employer that you're capable of working with others through Git and that you're able to jump in on projects to get work done. Get a solid history going that you can provide a proof.

Do your own portfolio to prove that you can produce original ideas base on your personality. It will also show that you can properly execute a project from just your brain into something more tangable.

I guess selling it would be admitting defeat. Haha.

I do really want to be an adept pianist. And I know I am capable of doing so.

But... I also want a girlfriend and a better job. And god knows I'm not looking for those.

But, hell, that's depression. Eventually, you stop caring about ever making yourself happy again. I slipped into my depression when I was nine. I've long since given up escaping it.

Smoke some weed user, it helps

Admitting defete and moving on is very therapeutic.

I've decided to throw away a lot of my past in order to try to move on. I feel better in doing so in my case.

What about the ones in my graveyard?

Smoking weed doesn't help you at all, I been depressed for 6 years smoking weed every single day, no friends no gf no social life, I'm having suicide thoughts, plus my neighbors always talking shit because I don't go outside

Lolol. All I do is smoke weed. Far too much of it. It absolutely helps the depression, but only exacerbates the lack of motivation. Which, in turn, exacerbates the depression. So, really, it doesn't help me. At least not anymore.

That's very fair. But even that requires some bit of motivation. Motivation to better your life.

I have none of that left. But hey, I'm not looking to hijack OP's thread here lol. Again, I've already given up. OP hasn't. So our time is better spent contemplating his shit haha.