How to deal with ultranerds/condenscending geeks at card shops...

How to deal with ultranerds/condenscending geeks at card shops? Ive tried to get into magic the gathering casually but have refrained from going to my local card shop because of those type of people. They make me cringe. Is there a way I can play this game without dealing with these neckbeards??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M8WEWKVCfCg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just dab on the haters

So whoever cringes first loses?

So you didn't go but assume they're like that?

Just play it my dude. If you're good you'll have fun. You probably just have a shitty build.

teach your non cringy friends. hopefully some will like it and you can play with them

Ive gone to a couple already and one of them smelled so bad.. had bags of opened packs and doritos everywhere and the kids there werent so welcoming. The other one is 45mins away and had very little interest in mtg. Im also in a facebook group for MTG and so far my experience has been negative (these nerds act like knowitalls)

>Is there a way I can play this game without dealing with these neckbeards??
No.

My own experience was exactly like that. 12 years old, bought some MTG cards, went to a local comic book/gaming shop for a tournament that was advertised, every single one of them were complete assholes.

I had a completely different experience once I joined the military. 50% of my airman neighbors (all around 18-24 years old) all played MTG, and were really awesome.

Are you in HS? College?

They really arent that bad, Just talk with the ones you like and dont talk with the ones you dont? Whats the issue here?

Im only a casual not a tryhard

There's your problem.

Im 25yrs of age and own a welding school. I have free time between 12pm and 6pm and wanted to put in some mtg time in between but i just cant stand the people that go to the game stores. Overheard a convo between some guy and a girl and the girl was a novice player and the dude was like (omg you really are super new that was a really shitty play) wtf??? How are people supposed to want to come and play lmao. I thought he was gonna tip his fedora there if he had one

Haha CHAIRforce

Damn

Today as well there was this dude there who seemed infatuated by the girl working the counter and he wouldnt stop talking about how good he is with his common cards (he called himself mr common) and saying he could beat everyone with a common deck blah blah i could tell the girl was just trying not to be rude but she was super not interested at all.. holy shit..

I mean you're gonna find the ultra-nerds when you go somewhere that casual people normally don't go. I'd suggest trying to get your friends into MTG. That, or maybe find another gaming place, depending on where you live there's always a few.

You don't have to get to know anyone you don't want to. Just let individuals that you can stand gravitate towards you. Retain some level cordial decorum when you ignore the others.

That's pretty good advice for OP.

har har

Get together with your friends and spend 100 bucks on a box and play draft with your buddies. Unless youre a friendless loser this is the best way to have fun/ make competitive decks

You could always play online.
But as for those assheads, they will be at every store. Just try to find a store where they're the outnumbered by normal people.

Eh, MTGO is overrated. I've met more than my fair share of assholes on there, and you'll never end up getting even remotely what you paid in back when you try to cash out.

Its tough. Most of my friends are too normie to ever think of themselves enjoying a "kids" card game. Its like im stuck in between two worlds fuck..

Meh part of the reason why im trying to play the actual game is because i have time to socialize between my classes.

I know that feeling. You're not alone in being alone.

If you don't have friends who want to play with you then you're not really gonna' have a good time playing casually.

Either get good and compete with the geeks, or play something like Eternal or Hearthstone.

I am trying to play commander. I quit hearthstone after realizing spending money on digital cardboard was worse than spending it on cardboard itself.

Gwent's a good option, too; though, not for socializing.

Fuck bro. Sad life

The game in witcher? I actually downloaded witcher and xpacs the other day. Should i play?

CD made a stand alone version. You just need a GoG account. Much improved from the original.

Been through that with hearthstone.

Honestly, if you suffer through some of the shitty people at shops, you'll meet a few people who are chill.

Is it too much to ask for a friend group who want to go backpacking one week, then sit down to a game of D&D the next?

Sorry bro I didnt understand what your question.

Just breathe air until the demons are gone
Just drink water until the demons are gone
Just dig earth until the demons are gone
Then we can burn fire forever
For the demons will have found their home

I wasn't ready boys arent supposed to do that it bled so much plungers arent dildos
Children's lives are sacred
Nah blah back sheep

>Resistance isn't futile
Never gonna give you up
Don't mutilate genitals
>This is not good. I hope you realize masturbating and fetishes are stifling to your overall health when indulged like this.
I am drinking dragonfruit mega c
>Celebrating women's form accepted
>Modifying body to resemble women's for superficial reasons unacceptable
I would fuck her right in the pussy
>This is depiction of children having sex
>i have fapped to worse
This is clearly an attack on our womens self esteem and privacy. I like it
> no way whiteboi
Jist use your fist
Poor penis enlargement victims
Wow r34 gets me hards
>i love roleplaying
Whatever's healthy
>get help suicides never am option
Get help we love you
I support trump
Love
Trust
The bad guys cant beat us with those things
I need help
>Love. That's all you care about. What about weapons? What about domination of the enemy?
You guys clearly backed the wrong conceptual horse
>no room is safe from the turbulent power of turbulent juice
What are the kitties to do
>I can't believe our tax dollars paid for this
Scientifically, traditions are an idiot thing.
>at least the devil has a job
Is there a company hiring teenagers that isn't evil?
>I want to help you
You wanted to be safe from the government so you became a stupid government
>maybe we should go home and stockpile weapons like that show doomsday preppers
This guys entire planet was destroyed, have some perspective

Say the condescending geek ultranerd.

>You probably just have a shitty build.
Found the neckbeard

Id agree with this

Join the army.

Best years if my life, and most were into D&D or Dark Heresy.

Haha no thanks man.

There is MTGO, pretty shit interface. But it works once you learn it. Other then that, you can always try to find groups of people in your area who aren't like that

I play mtg with my group of friends and never go to card shops.

The sad nature of geekery I'm afraid.
I only knew a few girls in my local mtg circles and all quit due to the same bullshit.
The girl working at my local store quit mtg after awhile due to the constant nerd-sperging.
My buddy's gf stuck to casual after being creeped the fuck out at her first and only tournament, and another buddy's gf stopped playing altogether (she only played kitchen table) when buddy invited one of the store regulars (a waac faggot) to play in our gaming nights.

Lol yep

hey guys i saw this is a magic thread, my brother left me his cards when he joined the army and i found this...i think its worth over 100 bucks right?

Old and out of print. Pretty worthless tbh.

I know you're baiting, but that's honestly the worst "fake" I've ever seen.

Dag ol' neckbeards ruining magic the fucking gathering again. You ARE a neckbeard faggot.

Been playing magic for 8 years and never once went into a card shop.

Deruims card shop life shows what day to day life in a card shop life is like. Check it out

youtube.com/watch?v=M8WEWKVCfCg

>Is there a way I can play this game without dealing with these neckbeards??
Go to a different shop. Play online. Find some friends to have a casual play group with.

i fucking miss csl

its damage throw it out

just tilt them. take a muligan? dont scry after. they will lose their fucking minds. shuffle and drop your cards like a fool. bridge shuffle your cards. and when you win just say. oh damn thats tough man.

I didnt understand a word you just said

Unfortunately local gaming stores are kinda like Sup Forums in the sense that they are safe havens for nerds/autists/socially challenged individuals. The obvious difference is that there's no blanket of anonymity, so the threat of body odor, obese buttcracks, cringe, etc is very real.

The heirarchy of players at these stores is also an issue, as good players rise to the top, create cliques, and then can be douchey to new players. Ironic bc they were all bullied in hs themselves.

Not entirely true. You just have to teach it to friends you already have. I've taught a few people including my fiancee. We play every once in a while. I have a billion cards so everyone just used my cards to make their favorite decks until they decide to go out and buy their own on the internet or whatever to improve the decks I loan/give them. Buddy has a werewolf deck that I let him have and he's upgraded it since I let him make it. Teach your non-neckbeard buddies when you're bored and looking for something to do together.

I thought it was funny, user.
>bridging rare cards
I can feel the eyes widening.

and iam sick of thought broadcasting and i cant survive and iam sad and get tortured of the thought broadcasting and not able to provide myself and not able to enjoy life and i get this mystery pains that hurt me from thought broadcasting and the meds for this illness is painful to take too iam sad and iam not able to save money cause of the thought broadcasting

Google search "Magic The Gathering Online". Community is pretty friendly, though its got a lot of competitive people there! Have fun!

is it wrong that i was way more interested in trying to read the cards then a mediocre pale nerd tit?

I play magic a decent bit, and ny friend group and I avoid those people heavily. They exist every where, and the best way to get into it and enjoy the physical card game is to have friends to play with and then you can laugh at the ultranerds. Other wise just play yhe online version, you get to play matches and cut out all the annoying fucks

I tought my friends and my gf how to play to avoid the card shops. I don't get to play as much but it's alright.
Most people at your local game store are friendly but I know some of them are insufferable.

this man is correct. build a good deck that wins and get gud with it and act like a retard 'bro'. They hate that shit

Show a little aggression. Be a little mean.
They'll default to cowardice and try to be nice so that you'll be nice.

Your friends sound like faggots if they think they're too cool for anything

You're describing my friends, so no.

I saw elvish visionary, green sun zenith and llanowar elves and thought this was an actual legacy elf deck... But immaculate magistrate?

My 27 year old, severely autistic brother that plays magic every Friday at our local card shop. I played for a couple of years and he would always try out his new decks on me. Sure I'd lose sometimes, but whenever i won he'd get extremely pissed.

I stopped playing and sold all my magic cards to my buddy. I told him about my brother, and my friend says "really, that's your brother?" "He's never beaten me once at the tournaments. He always gets really pissy about it and leaves early."

Now after hearing said news i obviously go back and make fun of my brother about it. He got so upset over me mentioning my friend that he starts screaming, yelling, and crying. Now his name alone sends him into an autistic rage.

I know he's my oldest brother and all, but damn... that's just too much.

nice tits, and that fucking tap +1/+1 counter add for each elf sounds sexy

I have like, lemme check, but like a starter deck box/thing or two but I didnt buy any boosters, I suck ass at deckbuilding tbh, like playing 2012-14 on xbox360 and duels on steam

3 of them, but around like 2013-2014

I got into mtg from my roomate loaning me a big green deck. He would kick my ass with cards like severed legion which I still think is one of the most badass cards ever.

I love M:tG and have been playing/collecting since 94. Used to go to tournies as a kid and didn't know any better that the people were horrible. I was just happy to play and win occasionally.

Was too busy late high school and college to play much so I just collected and played sparingly.

When I started working I was making lots of money and had tons of time, so I put together a bunch of nice decks and went to the local card stores. One store was clearly just laundering magic online, another was utterly gross and had the biggest asshole as owner, last store was clean and had by far the most people. I had just moved to the area for work, so didn't know anyone let alone anyone that played. Went to Legacy tournies for a couple of months. Most people were decent enough, but all had their cliques. Only guy that was friendly worked at the shop and kept trying to get me to sell all my shit to the shop for nothing. Eventually I decided I'd rather just collect and do other stuff with my time.

Nowadays I just play various formats with my brothers and a friend every month or 2. Pretty happy with that.

There are a lot of annoying types of people there
>smelly
>fat
>messy
>dumb
>asshole
>creepy
>acoustic

In my experience, the worst are the loud ones that think saying normal stuff at 4 times the normal volume makes it funny.

I have a decent EDH Elves deck. Would be fine with it in there.

Could also be Modern, but I know nothing about Modern really.

>whenever i won he'd get extremely pissed.
That may be the worst. I have played enough of them. They'll talk down to anyone that brews or is new and doesn't have the perfect netdeck. Everytime they do something good they rub it in your face. Everything you do good is just luck and they should have beat you. Any misplay and they will laugh at you, despite them fucking up time and time again.

Those people I'd ban from my store over the smelly but semi-friendly others.

I like the flavor of that card, though its not very remarkable to play with.

Although I would like to make an EDH deck with my favorite flavor texts and storylines.

Just go and deal with the neckbeards. You will eventually run into someone who is decent to talk to/play with. Hopefully you play the same format.
Look into playing commander instead/in addition to standard.

The funniest part is my brother basically does swarm decks. If not swarm then +1/+1 counters. So his obvious favorite deck is his slivers.

mtgo OP

Tabletop Simulator on Steam.

Is it the shit sliver decks that are 5 colors and have 1 of each sliver ever printed?

Ran into a guy at a Legacy tournament years ago that had a deck like that. It was awful and he got totally destroyed by everyone. Even the rich but bad players finally got a win.

>loaned you a big stompy deck
>just so he could crush you with his zombies
good friend

Nah, he actually put work into it. In fact he tries to act all cool and use it as his "last resort" deck. I've only beat it once or twice. However, my friend can still dominate him two times over. Even more so now that he has all of my old cards.

Mtg is probably the least nerdy when in comparison to Yu-Gi-Oh and shit

I too love the flavor: a bunch of severed limbs knocking on doors after dark. I wonder if wizards would still have the balls to print it today. I stopped playing lorwyn though, so can't speak much for today.

>with my favorite flavor texts and storylines
gouger is pretty good.

I love Magic the Gathering but I cannot stand those pricks at cards shops some times. That being said, they aren't all like that I guarantee you. Since even 90 year old grandmas play MTG, there's literally a group of people for everyone to play with, and you aren't looking hard enough, either that or you just want a reason to make a post and complain about something.

Also play 100 card commander, that is the absolute best way to play. It's generally associated with the Legacy format and thus nearly every card since the inception of the game is legal to play.

Man, when i went to highschool there was a shit ton of people playing it. Football Jocks playing with band nerds, goths playing with cheerleaders, pot heads with the sluts.

No one was really hard core into it, except maybe a few of the nerds, but people played the fuck out of it.

the new mtg game that looks like hearthstone is coming out in closed beta in nov. just sign up for the beta and wait. then if you still want to play IRL, try to find people and get them interested in the game and just make rules like

>$5 total value max from tcgplayer, everyone has to bring the order invoice of deck

and then just play games like that with people you know

the stores and events are full of fat retards that a normal person wouldnt associate with

>wotc digital release
>good
>has multiplayer

pick only one my dude, can't allow those precious shekels to be stolen from mtgo

I know how you feel.
I play casually and you always have those ultra nerds who breath over your neck or try to talk down to ya.
Just ignore them for the most part try to find the group of other chill people.

Oh god why make the Air Force look worse? We don't discuss the cringey neckbeards who play MTG in the dorms blocking out all light.

I was actually about to say this, EDH is the very best format, assuming its fun you want. If you want to play the game competitively, MTGO is your best option, the interface will make you want to kill yourself, but at least you wont have to deal with cunts.

Those fuckers are why I stopped playing DnD at shops as soon as I purchased my own house.

>The store and events are full of fat retards.

I mean that's just a biased opinion which would hold no merit if you actually visited the damn store. The real fat fucks and condescending pricks are those who play Warhammer and build the sets. I constantly frequent two different comic shops that are big on Magic, one in a small town and another in a city just 30 minutes away, and yes there are going to be fat neck beards there playing magic or just generally hanging around the store, but only because this game has such a wide audience and is a card game, that it's bound to have those types drawn to it, but in both stores, and especially during events, I see people from nearly every walk of life.

Man come to my house and play I just order cards from Rudy and horde them because I have no one to play with. I know what you mean with the people at local shop..one near me the owner is cool but there are always a ton of ultra-neckbeards hanging around