So I got a job offer for $18 an hour but the problem is that the commute is about 40 min's away and possibly an hour...

So I got a job offer for $18 an hour but the problem is that the commute is about 40 min's away and possibly an hour. Should I take the job Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

cbsnews.com/news/virginia-man-commutes-220-miles-a-day/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends, some people commute longer than that. You'll get used to it. My daily commute is 35-45 mins

What are you making now?

Yes. You can move nearer to work when you have enough money.

>i gotta live in big city xD
>i gotta have my shopping and stores xD

Just move to a better area, newpal.

I have a 45 commute at first it felt so long now it feels quick

How much will the commute cut into the increased wage?

Completely depends on what you make now and if you're willing to do that. I personally would never double my commute for such shit pay.

Factor time, mileage, and gas, and sanity...

I'm unemployed and my parents are making a huge fuss over how far away it is. Should I wait and try and find a better location?

I commute for 1 hour 20minutes take the fucking job god knows I would

I work a bit over 2 hours from my job. Last winter we got a good snow that started in early afternoon. I got on the highway at 5:15 and didnt get home until 9:30. Ended up getting a 3 hour nap and left for work because I knew it would take forever to get there. In short, the drive is the drive. Its not fun, but everyone who has an actual career (not a job) tends to work fairly far from home. If it starts to bother you but the job is solid, start looking for a place closer to work

Wait...you are unemployed, and your parents arent telling you to throw yourself at that job instantly?

The fuck is wrong with parents today? My mother would have beat my ass and told me to either accept the job or have my shit out of her house

It costs money to commute

I'm more worried about spending money on gas, my family said that since the place is far away I will be spending quite a bit on gas. I need to respond to the position by tomorrow.

cbsnews.com/news/virginia-man-commutes-220-miles-a-day/

Unless you work 3 states away, you cant ever complain about a long commute

How many miles is it? Unless you are driving a V10 pick-up truck 100+ miles a day gas isnt going to be all that expensive. Most 4cylinder cars get upper 20's to low 30's MPG. Assuming its about 10-15 miles away (probably closer to 10 miles if you will work during rush hour and it will take 45 minutes) you would be spending less than 2.70 a day in gas

How is it possible to get hired to a position that is 3 states away? Also what is considered to be a decent or good salary? I'm trying to get an entry position for drafting.

Well no shit bro. I have to travel over 2 hours daily for my job. I leave my home at 4am and get to work at 6:40.

Getting home is even worse. I finish at 5pm and don't get home until 8:30 to 9:00pm. I hate trains...

Pretty sure it is fucking me up in many ways. But Jesus, I'd love to travel 45 minutes... I dream of getting to work and getting home within the same fucking hour I started or finished...

I hate commuters they are the reason why there's so much traffic in the Bay Area.
>but muh cheap house
Move close to your fucking job people

The position I think is 18 miles away from where I live.

I'm not paying more for my house just so you can get home earlier.

Just apply to jobs. No one cares where you live.

>Also what is considered to be a decent or good salary?

That would depend on your lifestyle. My best friend has 3 kids and he makes $16 an hour. I personally make a bit under 85k a year and am constantly broke. Its all about lifestyle

>Live an hour away
>2 bedroom house cost something like 200-400 thousand dollars
>Live in the bay area (specially san jose)
>2 bedroom house cost something like 2 million
Yeah, fuck you too.

That ain't bad, I used to do it for 12/hr and I wasn't such a piece of shit that would have actually been really good money.

You can always just browse 4chin or read a book or something equally productive if your in a train. Better than driving your self

Every mom and dad forever will tell you you're going to need to take about $200 a week for gas. Parents always overestimate shit like that.

What kind of money do you make to put up with that shit?

>unemployed
>parent's don't want you to get a job and are actively discouraging you

what the fuck

just go for it and keep searching in the meantime

... you will still spend less than 6 dollars a day in gas even if you are driving a truck. The grocery store I shop at is 16 miles from my house for comparison. There is a big wide world out there outside the suburbs/cities

They do want me to get a job they just want whats best for me in the long run.

$18 isn't bad but driving in traffic sucks

>if your in a train. Better than driving your self

I would prefer to not be robbed and or sit in a puddle of homeless guy piss thank you very much. People who use public transportation are some of the lowest forms of life on the planet

Curious as to what you spend your money on?

I only make 55k and I have $70k in cash just sitting. Still having a 'whatever I want within personal reason' lifestyle. Two cars. One costs 7k (project ) and daily car at $15k

That's how far my job is, I spend around 35 bucks a week on gas.

Having zero experience in your field versus having a long commute you have to deal with temporarily sounds like you have fucking failures of parents.

How is your project car still a project if you have 70k laying around? Isn't a car usually a project car from lack of funds?

No, they want to keep you in their protective bubble while pretending to give you advice that is in your best interest. If you find another job in 3 weeks that pays better and is closer to home, take it and quit your current job.

Whats "best long term" is not to turn down income when you currently have none. There is no telling how long it will be before "something better" comes along. Thats how you end up being a cashier at Costco

Or reasonable and responsible parents. A first job an hour away is potentially not worth.

depending on location that's a very livable wage user, you could just do it for a bit and get yourself settled in then move closer?

Depends where you live. Are you close to a big city with lots of opportunity? If so then wait for something better. If you're commuting because it's hard to find work close to home then you should probably take it.

I have a few addictions. Mostly bars and clothes. I drive a car people making 3x my salary wince at, and because I dont cook, I buy premade meals (Factor 75) and eat out a lot... which gets expensive in the long run. I dont "blow" my money, but I also dont live a lifestyle befitting my real income

If you think an hour away is "far" you either live in a major city or you are insane.

An eating out habit can truly break the bank.

nope. have your mum support you

This sounds a lot like my parents, everytime I get a new job they look up reviews and only show me negative ones and get me to think it's gonna be horrible. Just like when I applied to Amazon, it was an hour away from the house, they wanted me to find something else...I was like fuck that. I'm making like 3 extra dollars an hour doing this...I'm doing it. Go for it OP!

I make 140k a year and have a commute of 1.5 hours... it sucks cause I’m still broke most of the time. I don’t even have any kids, but I do live in Washington DC

Not far, but kinda unreasonable for a first job commute.

I plan on using my money for college maybe, I want to make more money to sustain a family. I live in a big city in the northwest. I like playing and collecting video games which is pretty expensive, but I can lay off it to focus on making more money possibly. The position that was offered pays for overtime also.

I'm a pipefitters apprentice in Boston. My commute is an hour long with zero traffic on the way there and an hour and a half on the way back on average. If I leave work at rush hour it can take me 2 1/2 hours to get home. 45 minutes isn't bad, I wish I had that commute.

Or he lives in a smaller country than the US. 2 hour drive to get to my mum's house from mine and I'm going through 2 major cities to get there, that's what id consider a long commute but for other people that's barely 1% of their country

look up the medium income of your area, in rural areas 50k a year is more than enough for a 2 family household in the city thats enough to get you a card board box next to a one eyed homeless people. its all about location. is the job worth it are you investing in your self for the right direction? could you take this experience from this job and get a better job closer?

I'm in Australia where minimum wage is $18 an hour (about 15usd), but our cost of living is almost that of New York in my city. I commute 1.5 hours to work every single day. I wake up at 5:30, leave at 6 and get to work at 7:30. I leave work at 5:00 and get home around 6:45 every night (more traffic at night), am late for dinner with my wife, so eat in silence in front of the TV on my own.

Your life could always be much worse user.

I live rural US. Kinda the same thing.

That kind of shit doesn't happen here in Germany. Only in bigger cities like Hamburg or Berlin. But even then it is rare. I had my wallet on my seat next to me and fell asleep for an hour on a train during rush hour and not one person stole a thing. Was woken by a ticket inspector asking me to put my wallet away.

Currently earning about 48,000 euro per year after tax. Annual train ticket is just over 1,500 for the year. And I have to buy two as I have to travel through multiple regions.

I regularly read all kinds of books on the train. Sometimes I just nap for a while. Never once had anything go missing.

My parents are great and I love them a lot. The issue is that I am freaking tired of sitting at home doing nothing all day and I really want to start working right now. I've been looking for a job for about 4 months.

Scotland, for reference. Half an hour and I'm through the other end of my city and far away, is consider 45 minutes a fairly long commute, especially if driving not public transport

Sorry dude but searching for 4 months and you're not sure you want to take the position. Stop mooching and work... Gotta earn your pension somehow dude.

What kind of 3rd-world country do you live in? Public transport is generally pretty good, just more expensive than driving. If you live in a big city it is far quicker, though

if you are not going to school then you should be working, Don't want to scare you but social security will be gone by the time you retire. People over look the skills they learn in their jobs, try to get a job in something you like let the company waste money training you and then get a better paying job staying at home doing nothing isn't going to take you anywhere. plus once you have enough for your own place you can invite girls over work on getting a steady gf. parents want you to stay little forever but they are just looking out for you.

Only looking for 4 months... You lucky bastard

Yes it can. Dinner and a drink or 3 can very easily be $100+ dollars a day

How fucking much do you eat and where...????

18 is nothing

>I had my wallet on my seat next to me and fell asleep for an hour on a train during rush hour and not one person stole a thing. Was woken by a ticket inspector asking me to put my wallet away.

In a major US city you would have been woken up by the guy who stole your wallet so he could demand your cell phone

not by yourself but when the wife and I go out, no matter where you go the bill is easily 80-150 dollars

The US. Only major cities have public transportation. The rest of the country drives. Pubic transportation is never quicker than driving in any circumstance. Its a lot cheaper though

>Public transport is generally pretty good,
Not in America
>just more expensive than driving.
Not in America
>If you live in a big city it is far quicker, though
Absolutely not in America

why doesnt your wife wait to eat with you?
Me and my wife always try to have dinner together no matter how hectic the rest of the day may be, mate.
Its a way to catch up and vent about your day, if necessary.

That's annoying. And sad. I have never had an issue here in Germany. Surprising but then again not. I've seen some odd behaviour everywhere I've traveled. Germany is my favourite place. Little to no crime here.

Ah okay, I get that. When I go out with the wife we end up spending about 80 euro or so. I have no issue to eat wherever. But she always wants this bio and eco friendly stuff. But, sometimes it is nice for a change.

Any decent non-chain sit down restaurant is going to be pretty close to $50 a person for dinner itself. A drink depending on what it is will be 10-15 each. Tax + tip and yea very easily over $100 and thats not even ordering anything expensive

try it out for 3 months. quit if you can't handle the commute after that.

I think my last bill was for a three course meal excluding a dessert (not sure if I spelled that correctly) was 81.90 plus a tip of 10 euro on top. But this was for two people. Food quality was very good, so was happy with that. 80 plus is always high in my view. 50 mark or so is okay for a lunch or so but a meal depends on the place.

Our kids are 9 months old and 3. They have gotten into the habit of eating at 5:30-6, and my 3 year old doesn't like to wait. I only started this job last year, so too late to change things.

That's fucking crazy. In Europe, public transportation, especially trains, run everywhere and are high quality. In cities, you take the metro or the tube or whatever.

Just never trust trains in Britain, they're alright quality I guess, but a train from Glasgow to London will cost you more than a train from Hamburg to Madrid, and more than a flight from Glasgow to anywhere in europe

oh wait a minute now I know you are full of shit, you tipped and over 10% wtf??

... do other countries not have transportation benefits? I basically get paid to drive to work

40 mins isn't bad, take the jerb

Trains in Britain are awful. Primarily the underground. I travel sometimes from Germany to London via Paris Nord and using the eurostar is absolutely shit. But the underground network is in serious need of an update...

Overground services are a little better through and through. But again, pricing is a little high. Haven't used a UK train for long distance other than London to Paris and sometimes back.

Try going from Germany to Austria or Belgium via train and you'll see a much better experience in quality. And pricing isn't bad.

When I go out with the missus we try not to spend more than £50 on food and drinks unless it's a birthday or anniversary,in which case we bump the price up a fair amount. But we never eat out, we prefer to stay in and cook for ourselves, far cheaper

You would be lucky to escape a TGIF (a shitty chain restaurant that sells frozen and microwave warmed food) with a bill of $80 for 2 people in a major US city. If you want something "good" in a major US city most foods come a la carte (which means each thing on a plate is charged separately) A steak ($120+) a vegetable ($12) and a potato ($9) plus a few drinks, tip (15% check total) and tax (10.75% not including any "entertainment tax") Things are just very very different between the US and Europe.

To compare however last year when I filed my taxes I made right around 87k for the year and paid a combined tax (Fed and State) of 21%

Europeans don't tip based on percentage. I usually leave a tip of about 5 to 10 euro depending on whatever I have in my wallet. I don't usually like leaving a 5 as it feels wrong. And a 10 is okay for this. Especially if the service is good.

I had a job that made me drive 2 hours each way for 18 an hour here in Los Angeles.

I was desperate for getting my foot in the door into the tech industry. It was worth it at first. After about 2 years, I left though.

the biggest challange to me was the fact that I was losing 20 hours a week and didnt have a life.

its up to you.

I didn't realize that Europeans tipped, I mean don't the waiters make a living wage?

Just to compare, a train ticket from Chicago to Springfield (300ish miles, 4 hour drive time) costs $4.75 round trip. Public transportation in the US is dirt cheap, but only goes to very specific places, is often late/canceled if there arent enough people, and is generally filled with criminals, homeless looking to get out of the weather, and people who you would never want to be next to

Yes, tips are supposed to be 15%, and most higher end restaurants will automatically add a 17% tip if your bill hits a certain dollar amount

The tube technically sucks, but considering it's sheer size it's incredible it's as okay it is. Eurostar is always shit, not updated since built in the ?90s?.
Barely ever go to London, but take trains around the country. You pay for what you get, but paying over £100 for a 3 hour train journey between 2 major cities on a train that can't go too much faster than a car because they use the same rails as during the war

Seems like London in England. If you want a nice meal you pay through the anus with it. When I lived in Islington, my colleagues and friends insisted on eating in those non-casual places. Made me rage a little inside when someone would order a fucking huge platter of shit and I'd have something small and then that one asshole shouts "let's split the bill"

I think the most expensive meal I had was in Abu Dhabi, was with a few colleagues and we decided to for a meal after work and ended with a 340 euro bill. Luckily, my boss paid for this so I wasn't out of cash. I must find the receipt as I kept it for shits and giggles.

depends on the commute. 45-1hr in traffic is bullshit. 45 minutes- 1 hour of comfy back roads is all good.

Yeah, so you only leave it for an exceptionally good job, if you feel like they earned it. You know, like a reward

ok wait a minute, just a fucking minute here are you trying to say 15% is the norm? When I do a good job at my work no one tips me, well maybe this one guy gave me a bag of potato chips this one time. but you are trying to say not only should I tip, but I should tip 5 % more to compensate for your shitty life choices to be a waiter?

Tipping in the US is "mandatory" Tipping in the EU is "the right thing to do". Its a subtle difference but there IS a difference. In the US a tip is "here, I hope you dont starve tonight" in the EU a tip is "thank you for your great service, take this as a token of my appreciation"

They do earn a wage yes. But it's optional to tip. The tip usually goes into a pot that the owner will divvy up for all workers as it's a team based thing. I guess to boost morale?

Also, I tip only because I worked in a bar before as a black worker and basically survived on it. Luckily now I am in a proper employment so I have no issues now.

You should take it. Tons of people commute longer for way less than that.

That would take around 7 hours in Britain, and cost £100-150, more for getting a specific return train.

We arent having this conversation... go post another thread about it

Difference us, in EU, or at least in Britain, most people don't too. Just not the done thing unless they did an amazing job

get long shifts if possible
other than that
audible has a gajillion books

im sorry to hear that.
The kids come first I guess.
Best of luck with all that. I just feel that sharing a meal can do so much good to just about everyone. Just my two cents.

FYI, you can rent a car for a day in the US for less than half that price. Absolutely no one would take public transportation in the US if prices were like that. They want to raise the fare for buses in Chicago by $0.15 a day, and people are going into rage fits over it

Thing is there's a lot of people that cant/don't drive, whether they can't afford a car, can't afford lessons, or are just city-folk, so trains are almost a necessity. Also, we're a country with very little space, so if everyone wanted to park near where they work, half the city would be carpark, so trains are nessicary for millions of people's average lives