What does Sup Forums think of Cheap Trick?

What does Sup Forums think of Cheap Trick?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E6gYnLtRbO0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Another New Wave-era group that died in the mid-80s and came back as a trash MTV pop rock band. Fuck "Lap of Luxury".

great

my favorite album

Do you even know what New Wave is?
Because Cheap Trick was NEVER "New Wave"!

They always were, and still today remain a high energy rock and roll band with certain power pop sensibilities!

First three studio albums are GOAT as well as Live At Budokon. They're still GOAT but I don't listen to them after Dream Police very much.

They are TRULY a midwest band, and one has to have grown up in the midwest to get the humor behind their image, especially northern Illinois. That's not to say that the world can't enjoy their music on many levels.

Still a great band that makes me proud to admit that I'm from Chicago. (And yes, I know they're from ROCKFORD, so all you Illinois Sup Forumstants, pleas don't bother pointing that out, because the majority of people on Sup Forums couldn't find Rockford on a map)

OP here, also from Chicago area. I have family in Rockford. It's a shitty fucking town.

>Still a great band that makes me proud to admit that I'm from Chicago

At the same time, you have to live with the sorry realization that Billy Corgan is from Illinois.

Billy Corgan is amazing, what are you on about? He's actually a huge Cheap Trick fan too.

Dubs speaks the truth, but one learns to take the bad with the good.

Wesley Willis more than makes up for Billy Corgan. R.I.P. Wesley.

They were contemporaries of Aerosmith and had a similar blue collar sensibility, but went for more of a punk rock kind of sound that happened to click with the rock audience just as Aerosmith were falling out from drug use and their Led Zeppelin boogie riffs were becoming outdated.

>guy who grew up in IL when Cheap Trick were at their peak
>was a huge fan
Stop the presses.

Why are you being a cunt?

*was amazing
for like several years

I'm not the same guy who posted

Yeah, Cheap Trick was really only good from '77-'83

Their MTV comeback belongs in the trash.

That was in '88

I WANT YOU

That they stayed with Epic the whole time is kind of surprising considering Aerosmith, Heart, etc got dropped by their original labels after they fell off during the early 80s.

How many washed-up 70s rockers did Desmond Child resurrect anyway?

The mid to late 80s was such a pathetically bad time for mainstream rock. It floors me how many bands whored themselves out to MTV and sugar-coated power ballads, including a lot of respected industry veterans.

Dunno, but Cheap Trick and Steve Albini had a few chances to work together in the 90s. They could've caught a second wind, but it wasn't to be. None of the stuff from those sessions ever got an official release.

Rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Their hooks are so addictive that they should be a Schedule 1 drug.

TO WANT ME!

The Albini sessions are heavy as fuck. I really hope they see the light of day.

1. They were lazy
2. A lot of those 70s veterans saw it as a quick, easy way to make $$$ with minimal effort
3. In most cases, bands like Aerosmith had already put out their best work years earlier and solidified their legacy (if Steven Tyler had died of an OD in 1980, we'd still have Toys In The Attic and Rocks).
4. These guys were all in their mid to late 30s, they wanted to make money/get radio play while they were still relatively young

I WILL BE THE FLAAAAA!!!!!!

Epic basically threatened to drop them if they didn't revamp their career. Tom Peterson was brought back into the band at the label's insistence and they were "persuaded" to record other peoples' songs.

Aerosmith stood the test of time even into the late 90s, they were commercially successful for mediums even movies

>a mediocre band overrated by people who've read Steve Albini interviews
Cheap Trick sucks desu.

like magical mystery tour

>said the pleb that's never listened to Cheap Trick

In the case of Aerosmith, Dave Geffen picked them up (huge risk signing a bunch of junkies who hadn't made anything good in almost a decade), they recorded "Done With Mirrors" which bombed, and Geffen made them use professional song doctors or else.

Heart got dropped by Epic in 1984, Capitol picked them up, just like Aerosmith their first album with the new label flopped and they were forced to use professional song doctors.

>Everybody ITT saying Cheap Trick sucked in the 80's
Wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=E6gYnLtRbO0

I think everyone is referring to their Lap of Luxury period. One on One and Next Position Please are god tier. I think they're even better albums than Dream Police.

IRC Nancy and Ann Wilson really hated prostituting themselves to MTV, but they really didn't have a choice.

>assumptions that make you feel better about yourself

>their only #1 hit isn't even one of their five most popular songs

What are some other bands like this?

Only one month left for them to release this in time for In Color's 40th anniversary, or else we'll have to wait another 10 years.

They've been playing their newest album on Little Steven's Underground Garage a lot. They've still got it.

I just wasted an hour of my life on this

Saved

MOMMY'S ALRIGHT
DADDY'S ALRIGHT

I bet you thought it was funny while you were doing it

>tfw when you want to look like Robin Zander but actually look like Bun E. Carlos

Off the top of my head: they were an amazing band until like the mid-80's. The production on In Color was comically horrendous - I'm glad I have the Albini version. I hear they still put on a great live show, but I'll be god damned if I'm going to see them now that they're 30 years past their prime and the fucking guitarist's son is drumming for them. I kinda like the public facing Rick Nielsen but I am almost convinced at this point he's secretly a total asshole. In contrast Bun E. seems cool as fuck. Overall they made some great tunes and I love that they had this crazy trajectory of this dinky power pop band that got sorta big then imploded in the 80s when the wheels fell off and they did stupid shit like the Top Gun soundtrack and fought all time with their replacement bassists. It's all kind of weird and feels like a fake rock documentary that came to life.

Oh and while I'm here: has it ever been confirmed that Southern Girls is about prostitutes (south side of Chicago)? This makes so much sense to my dumb brain that I almost don't know why I bothered to ask.

>The lyrics were inspired by women the band met in Canada, north of their Illinois roots; it is actually about girls from Southern Canada.[5] However, using the phrase "Southern Canadian Girls" in the hook didn't sound good to Nielsen, so he just left it as "Southern Girls."[5]

Aerosmith at least kept the original five guys together instead of Cheap Trick's revolving door bassists.

They could still be prostitutes at least. I'm not letting this die.
Wasn't it just 3 guys? Also who cares?

1. Cheap Trick
2. Heaven Tonight
3. All Shook Up
4. In Color
5. Dream Police

Cheap Trick > Heaven Tonight > In Color > One On One > Next Position Please > All Shook Up > Dream Police