youtube.com/watch?v=DpOo7fmI7Po
youtube.com/watch?v=vmy-4KJPlpg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmslKlGwTU
youtube.com/watch?v=e_3k4dVV9lY
youtube.com/watch?v=B-hTS203DIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Uuc2jrUidVk
youtube.com/watch?v=mkNtJ2Txm6I
youtube.com/watch?v=LrMBIH2TBpU
forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/do-you-consider-grunge-a-real-music-genre.439726/
youtube.com/watch?v=SPSoNdWOWpw
youtube.com/watch?v=rGRs6ZwzBcY
youtube.com/watch?v=mSaaCDBYF3M
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDX25HYLAEU
youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9dP55Wmag
youtube.com/watch?v=MWtPjzxcheA
youtube.com/watch?v=scJPiDCk8Uw
youtube.com/watch?v=0vnea7yHEhI
youtube.com/watch?v=rYlWFgeAqHY
youtube.com/watch?v=h0ZYaHh5P1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=OUVWbfo0dEA
youtube.com/watch?v=UFI554_xM-I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

progfags like you are the worst. literally just shitting on anything remotely popular for the sake of seeming patrician. king crimson is better than any shitty obscure prog band you can name.

It's not just because their popular, Crimson is probably just as popular as Gong is in the real world. I honestly just don't like the bands I listed.

Also, just because a prog band didn't originate in England doesn't make it shitty or obscure you absolute faggot

It's funny because none of the albums in OPs pic are obscure either. They're just entry-level Europrog for edgelords who think they're cool for shitting on essential British prog. He probably lowkey enjoys Dream Theater.

I never said any of the albums I posted weren't entry-level Europrog albums. You assuming that they are for edgelords is as stupid as you assuming I enjoy Dream Theater

>obscure prog band you can name
king crimson isnt that bad. but you jsut proved your ignorance. all of those are well known canonical prog albums...

frances the mute

>king crimson isnt that bad
King Crimson started the fucking progressive rock movement you idiot. Not only are they not that bad but they are also worthy of every prog fans respect.
>all of those are well known canonical prog albums
I'll give you Camembert Electrique and Per un Amico

pink floyd 1st album, bowie station to station, i hear another world.

Crimson is extremely overrated

>Crimson is probably just as popular as Gong is in the real world
Have you been in the real world?
>just because a prog band didn't originate in England doesn't make it shitty or obscure you absolute faggot
well duh moron. but you're so transparent that it's obvious you just wanted to brag about how you like some less popular prog instead of the big names. I know the artists in your pic, don't go getting an even bigger head.

show me one point at which I was bragging you dork. I just genuinely do not like bands like Genesis or Crimson and was looking for more bands along the prog vein I posted.
>Have you been in the real world?
I mean outside of Sup Forums dude. Go asking around, you'll probably find the one person who does know who Crimson is probably knows who Gong is as well, or Soft Machine at the very very least

>Yes
>gay shit

ignorant retard, Yes is fundational to the genre, they were the first to shift from psychedelia to prog rock proper.

Their sound may song dated but you have no right to shit talk them.

>you have no right
shit on my dick fattie

Ive always enjoyed the Nice

HAHA, TIME FOR ARGENTINA

youtube.com/watch?v=hdnFHvVlAdI

>show me one point at which I was bragging you dork
your entire post was made so you can feel important and superior
>you'll probably find the one person who does know who Crimson is probably knows who Gong is as well, or Soft Machine at the very very least
simply incorrect. while King Crimson never gained the popularity of some of their prog contemporaries, they are still more popular than Gong and Soft Machine. hell, they were referenced in an episode of Malcolm in the Middle

No me separen de mi, nunca mas.

No me transmitan sus odios
que todo esta bien aqui, yo tengo libertad.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dny5H7rUMFI

t. pleb

>your entire post was made so you can feel important and superior
so you can't show me a point where I was bragging, good to know. Why exactly is it so hard for people here to except the fact that someone doesn't enjoy Crimson?
As to the second point while I see where you're coming from but I don't think Crimson ever crossed the line where they became mainstream in popularity, due to this I would say while they may technically be more popular than other prog bands, these other prog bands will still be known by the same people who were interested enough in prog to listen to Crimson in the first place. Genesis is a better example of what you were describing imo

better than TAAB tbqhwylad

only countries that have invented their own prog genres can post in this thread

youtube.com/watch?v=7oxvmNgBjTE

Fuck you

fuck you too you pube chewing faggot

Sorry kiddo, Arco Iris got there first

youtube.com/watch?v=5_yaj0WiuZA

>so you can't show me a point where I was bragging, good to know
people like you don't go around yelling about how awesome their taste is. you try (and fail) to make it more subtle
>due to this I would say while they may technically be more popular than other prog bands
so you're admitting I'm right, good to know.

regardless, as an observer who has never heard either of these bands, this shit is good, thanks for posting user

This kinda sucks but I like it anyway. Reminds me of Tactics Ogre and PS1 RPG's
youtube.com/watch?v=CiuzyizY61o

yeah you were partly right, that's why I admitted it lol. I assume you didn't read the rest of the post though.
Let's ignore the fact that you think I'm bragging for a second though and look at all the music that has been posted. Only a couple of tens of minutes into the thread and we already have more diverse prog than any of the prog threads that have Crimson's Red as the thumbnail image. Regardless of what you think, I am enjoying this thread and I didn't just make it to brag

>that's why I admitted it lol
you tried as hard as you possibly could to pretend you still had any sort of point instead of actually admitting I was right.
>partly right
still doing it
>Only a couple of tens of minutes into the thread and we already have more diverse prog than any of the prog threads that have Crimson's Red as the thumbnail image
Really not seeing a difference. Sup Forums prog threads are usually pretty quality when they appear, regardless of how much of an insufferable moron the OP is.

Did you read my post with the point about genesis? I said you were partly right and then showed what would be a better example of the situation you posed. Reread it and then fuck off out of this thread and go shitpost about Moonchild

Can I come too?
youtube.com/watch?v=YPAXLQNDS1M

>a better example of the situation you posed
This literally started from you saying that King Crimson and Gong are as popular as each other. How would Genesis be relevant in that debate you fucking retard?

for the third time, reread the post.

Santaolalla se la come, Tokatlian se la da

If we wanna get technical, Andean Prog is a direct successor of the folk Chilean reinassaince from the late 60s. Congresa was one of the first to adopt prog with Los Jaivas and it was already a thing in '69, while in the same year a Manal, Los Gatos and Almendra concert could hardly fill a 200 people venue

ex (not really a great album imho): congreso at it's full folk prog phase -
1975 - youtube.com/watch?v=DpOo7fmI7Po

Also Inti-Raymi is so ridiculously underrated it didn't even get reissued.

The vast majority of prog diversity is because prog is of the few genres that simultaneously develop a scene is most western countries.

there's a lot of foreign masterpieces that are outright famous in their home country but otherwise unknown to anglo audiences.

You are making no sense. Are you just typing dumb shit because you are backed into a corner?

no it's because you still haven't read the post

I have read everything you posted. Maybe you are just a total moron? I'll go with that.

You seem to know your shit, got any recc's for something close to Tamarugo; more leaning towards jazz rock/fusion?
youtube.com/watch?v=vmy-4KJPlpg

HERE COMES CHILE

Easily the best produced LP Arco Iris released and among the best Andean Prog recordings form Argentina

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmslKlGwTU

holy shit, this is great. If you didn't tell me this was from 1977 II would have think it's modern

he's using a shitposting-based technique to generate interest in the thread

it will probably get him banned, but well, I guess it worked.

Cardiacs, Tipographica, Koenjihyakkei, Henry Cow, Sajjanu, Make a Rising, Yowie, the list goes on...

>King Crimson started the fucking progressive rock movement you idiot.
Wrong. It was The Nice with The Moody Blues, or arguably Hansson Karlsson.
Progressive Rock was already a thing for a few years before King Crimson stepped in.

>I'll give you Camembert Electrique and Per un Amico
And the two most popular RIO bands after Henry Cow, Samla Mammas Manna and Univers Zero.

>they were the first to shift from psychedelia to prog rock proper
holy shit, listen to more prog rock

>Blops
I can already think of 5 better Chilean prog rock bands.

They didn't.

>avant "gorillaz made the best progressive rock song of the 21st century" math god comes in to ruin another thread with bickering about genres

op here, are you admitting I actually made a good thread or were you one of the people who were giving me shit and are now butthurt that this guy proved everyone wrong?

>avant "gorillaz made one of the best krautrock songs of the 21st century" math god comes in to improve the thread
There, fixed this for you.
Also, I'm not bickering about any genre definition right now, so get fucked.

???

>I can already think of 5 better Chilean prog rock bands.
Oh really? Well tell me......I need stuff to listen to.

Los Jaivas
Akineton Retard
MediaBanda
Congreso
Fulano

thanks senpai!

Afraid I know little about Fusion in Spanish. I'm an argentine music collector / historian who often dabbles in SA music in general. As far as I'm aware, the fusion movement wasn't very popular in my country (and the continent, as far as I know) The closest to Jazz Fusion I know of is Spinetta, and he can hardly be called fusion. Most Jazz artists where rather orthodox in Argentina and the few that experimented where mainly part of the Nuevo Tango movement.

WIth that said, that particular (excellent) brand of folky jazz reminds me strongly of Jaime Roos, one of the greats of uruguayan folk rock:

youtube.com/watch?v=e_3k4dVV9lY

>baldozas, baldozas partidas hace años
>recuerdos que me hicieron daño, en la calle convención
>y un dia, un dia te vere contento, el dia que te lleve el viento
>de durazno y convención
>tfw

That song also reminds me of Argentine andean prog bands like Aucán and Anacrusa, but they are purely rock

I can give you this however: Tango master and Piazolla disciple Rodolfo Mederos does one of the most underrated Nuevo Tango (70s tango fusion closely tied to jazz fusion) albums there ever was.

youtube.com/watch?v=B-hTS203DIM

>They didn't.
Chile, Argentina and Peru created Andean Prog, an andean folk (quechua, aymara and mapuche folk) and prog rock fusion. Listen to more prog.

>Andean Prog
Just because it's a fusion of two genres doesn't mean it's a new genre. By that logic every combination of two genres would be a new genre and that's stupid.
But even if we did consider it a genre, Jaivas were not the first, it was Arco Iris from Argentina.

Great post, thanks friend. Really liking both (Rodolfo especially), will check out the albums

Academia folk masters decided to try their hand at prog rock. this delirium is the result

youtube.com/watch?v=Uuc2jrUidVk

You are just repreating things said this thread, half of which where me memeing. You are too ignorant of cono sur culture to understand that Chilean and Argentinian music scenes often see each other as interchangeable. The Nueva Canción folk movement was adopted by all of Chile's neighbors and each developed their own takes on them. Andean Prog and Folk Rock (ie leon gieco as the greatest argentine folk rock exponent)

If you just listen to the music and don't read their context, you will never understand.

I'm definitely checking out Tamarugo. That sound was just sweet. Most Fusion bands I heard tend towards virtuoso demonstrations with little substance, this was a breath of fresh air.

Recc me the craziest shit u kno

STÜLDT

HAJT

youtube.com/watch?v=mkNtJ2Txm6I

>You are just repreating things said this thread
Regardless of what has been said, what I said was correct.

>You are too ignorant of cono sur culture to understand that Chilean and Argentinian music scenes often see each other as interchangeable
I'm Chilean, bitch.

>The Nueva Canción folk movement was adopted by all of Chile's neighbors and each developed their own takes on them.
Did I ever say otherwise?

>If you just listen to the music and don't read their context, you will never understand
And this quote is relevant because.. ? I never dismissed the context, I just told you that:
1) Andean Prog is not a genre
2) If it were, the firsts would have been Arco Iris instead of Los Jaivas.
Stop being so dense.

Yowie. There isn't anything crazier than them.

I can't even read Finnish but I knew exactly what part you were talking about and I haven't listened to that album in forever

>1) Andean Prog is not a genre

there's around 20 bands, perhaps more, that played andean prog back in the 70s and comprised roughly 1/4th of the entire cono sur scene. They never named themselves that way, but neither did other prog subgenres. So tell me, how is that different from symphonic prog or space rock?

Also
>Chilean and Argentinian music scenes often see each other as interchangeable
No. Funny that you talk about context, when the two countries had almost no similar contexts. You have the Communist inspired Chilean rock greatly influenced by Andean Folk until Pinochet stepped after which musical output was very low, meanwhile Argentina had no particularly strong Communist nor Andean Folk influences (there were, just not many, because the context was very different from Chile's, on top of both being divided by a mountain range at first and a potential war at last).

>20 bands alone make a genre
holy shit lol

>how is that different from symphonic prog or space rock?
Starting by the fact that Symphonic Prog nor Space Rock were just a mesh of two genres into one (and no, Symphonic Prog was not a combination of Rock with "Classical").

>An entire thread of proglets
>No Rushtricians
>mfw

>Rush

>Rush

>Rush

vwhen the two countries had almost no similar contexts
>nor Andean Folk influences

stopped reading there.

go listen to anacrusa, aucan, eternidad, Alas, arco iris, melimelum (well the last two is debatable).

furthermore, you forget that many bands in the prog scene where left leaning and anti system, and completely ignore the sociopolitical context of argentina. almost every post-almendra rock band prior the '76 dictatorship had political lyrics. They had much in common

>20 bands alone make a genre

On a scarcely populated, heavily centralizid region of 4 countries where 70s prog rock groups don't reach a 3 digit number? And hell, I don't think they make it past 60.

How many bands you think the norwegian black metal scene had? Or how many grunge bands pre-nirvana seattle scene had?

>Jealousy
Name another prog band where each member has individually been considered the greatest in the world at their instrument at some point

>stopped reading there
Yeah, congratulations on being a retard. Read the rest of the sentence now.

The point is Chile and Argentina had very different context, and both were separated from each other so that influences among the two countries was uncommon.

>norwegian black metal scene
Not a genre.

>grunge
Not a genre.

>Name another prog band where each member has individually been considered the greatest in the world at their instrument at some point
Yeah, by shit "critics".

Dude, the only one that applies to is Neil Peart. The other two are good, but no where near as other guitarists, bassists, and singers, even in other genres

>rush BTFO
youtube.com/watch?v=LrMBIH2TBpU

>norwegian black metal scene
Not a genre.

>grunge
Not a genre.

you went past hot opinions all the way into retarded.

Not gonna bother talking to you anymore.

yo guys let's get this thread back on track. i freaking love genesis, king crimson, yes, and all the other "well known" prog giants but i wanna hear some obscure shit as well. stick to posting that please

>Not gonna bother talking to you anymore.
That's what everybody says when they don't have arguments to justify their assertions. Congratulations, you just demonstrated, once again, that you are a retard.

>i wanna hear some obscure shit as well
See

>grunge
>not a genre
Into the filter you go

Greatest prog album to come out of the 2010s, but I guess that's not saying much

It's not an unpopular opinion, retards.
forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/do-you-consider-grunge-a-real-music-genre.439726/
Even the most popular Grunge bands disagree with the label.

I think you meant to post this

youtube.com/watch?v=SPSoNdWOWpw
youtube.com/watch?v=rGRs6ZwzBcY
youtube.com/watch?v=mSaaCDBYF3M
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDX25HYLAEU
youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9dP55Wmag
youtube.com/watch?v=MWtPjzxcheA
youtube.com/watch?v=scJPiDCk8Uw
youtube.com/watch?v=0vnea7yHEhI

oi thanks for recs guys, listening to some of this now and will save the rest for later

Alas, Crucis and Ave Rock form the "trinity" of late 70s prog rock in Argentina, standing out from all the arg prog scene (all... 10 other bands) in terms of composition and skill and having lots of common elements. All three where "second wave" post-1974 projects, borne during a lowkey civil war and a dictatorship. All three of them started out as 20 something performers heavily inspired by english pros - Crucis with Camel and King Crimson, Alas with EMP, Ave Rock with Pink Floyd and Deep Purple - that where clearly noticeable in their first album and all three quickly evolved into their own concepts by their second album - generally considered a masterpiece of the genre each, and where finally were forced to shut down out of fear of being kidnapped by the government.

Ave Rock is the one of the three that I think the first album is better than the second, but perhaps symphonic prog is just not for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=rYlWFgeAqHY

100% homegrown argie prog. Well above most rock produced in the era.

Spinetta was something else, sometimes I just can't believe basic ideas like Babasonicos and (the very respectable) Soda Stereo became world famous while Spinetta has been relegated to local obscurity.

youtube.com/watch?v=h0ZYaHh5P1Q

>Spinetta has been relegated to local obscurity
He's relatively well-known here in Chile, at least by people who are slightly into music.

this may be seirously the comfiest prog album I ever heard.

youtube.com/watch?v=OUVWbfo0dEA

>Cardiacs, Tipographica, Koenjihyakkei, Henry Cow, Sajjanu, Make a Rising, Yowie
None of that is good apart from Cardiacs actually I'd say its pretty mediocre stuff

wew, terrible taste
not even Henry Cow? Come on, that's just lame

Didn't see HC
but yah most of that stuff there is nothing you couldnt be found on bandcamp ten times over

>he doesn't unironically enjoy early DT

Tipographica and Yowie are also pretty essential.
Koenjihyakkei are pretty creative, as is Make a Rising (who are also great for being a synthesis of almost everything prog related + other experimental musics). Sajjanu is great too, but I agree not as essential as Yowie and Tipographica,

Yes

youtube.com/watch?v=UFI554_xM-I

What's progressive rock, guys? Can't understand wiki.