Don't Americans have a café culture?

Don't Americans have a café culture?

I just got home from a trip to New York.

I can easily sit at a café for 3-4 hours straight, just minding my own business with a newspaper and such. Here in Europe that's seen as normal, but whenever I did that in New York I noticed how people from the staff looked at me strangely the longer the time went.

it was an awesome trip, and I'm not here to hate. I just wonder if that is seen as strange by Americans.

American cafe culture

american and to a lesser extent canadian food industry culture is "if your not payng /you are finished then get out"

>Don't Americans have a culture?
I fixed that

That's because New Yorkers are shit people. Same with Californians. It's pretty common to hangout at a coffee place alone for hours at a time, so long as you're staying occupied somewhat and buying the occasional coffee.

Food service workers are generally paid very little for their work so the faster they can get the customers out the door and get new ones the more tips they will get.

Why the fuck are you sitting down for 4 hours at a time? Don't you have anything to do? Are you that lazy?

newfag

A family unit with disposable income?

Wow. What a burn you mental midget.

No you're not getting away with this. You're sitting for 4 hours because you're that disposable. You're a piece of shit. inb4 LEL DAT WAS NOT MEE

I see. of course I do order in things from time to time.

I don't always sit around for 4 hours. I think the average is around 1 hour-1 and a half hour. From time to time though it's just cozy to sit down for a long amount of time and read a book and such at a coffee house.

would you prefer a family unit without disposable income?

Only in hipster areas of major cities. None in flyoverstan.

newfag

we work dumfk. no one who has a job can spend four hours in a coffee shop

or are lower class single moms your thing?

>I don't always sit around for 4 hours

Then why say it that way? You're an idiot. Why bring up a premise when you're just going to back away from it? If you're sitting for an hour and half by the way that's still weird. You really have nothing to do? Are you that sad?

No you idiot. Were you really that confused?

He's giving you an idea of what people are thinking OP. 4 hours is a long time to hang around in one place, especially if you're not buying stuff.
But, is right New Yorkers are shit people.

newfaggot

lol

I'd fuck her, but give the kid some nyquil first, I don't want him opening the door when i'm balls deep in her ass.

Because I tend to do that from time to time? it's not the average, but it happens a few times per month. In comparison, I visit cafés like 5-10 times a month. It's honestly not that strange here. That's why I even made this thread, as I wanted to know if the culture around that was difference in American which I've been proven that it is.

In the Southwestern US, no. The most common "cafe" is Starbucks, and their coffee is shit (although I have to admit that their cold brews are nice). There's usually a handful of trendy cafes around, but they're hard to find, ridiculously crowded, extremely overpriced, and usually all of those at once. It is considered rude to hang around in most cafes for longer than an hour, since you're taking up Valuable Commercial Space™ that could be being used by other Paying Customers™.

Welcome to America mother fucker. If you want to sit in one place and drink for 4 hours, go to bar.

>Are you that sad?

Are you that mad?
Or just retarded?

This. Bars in my area usually do coffee too, if they're open in the early afternoon.

The difference is that we have places to fucking be. Time is money to us and if I'm trying to kill 4 hours I'd rather catch up on sleep, drink with friends, fuck my girlfriend or enjoy a hobby.

Why the fuck would I want to spend 4 hours in a cafe? The entire concept of "café culture" is pretentious.

Nah man. Cafes are places where you can hang out with friends and read a book or some shit. It's supposed to be a place to chill out.

It's a shame Americans think this is pretentious when really its just a casual thing.

How can you read when every 2 seconds a new faggot walks in and orders something?

Maybe don't sit next to the counter and find a nice chair outside

Not every cafe is a Starbucks.

But sitting around and drinking coffee is literally what Cafes are made for.

outside theres a street with cars driving by and people walking. isn't that distracting? its like you really just want somebody to come up and ask what you're reading or somebody to say they've read that book also. then you can go suck each other off in the ally behind the cafe. that is very european.

>Because I tend to do that from time to time?

That's not an answer in the least. Learn English.

>as I wanted to know if the culture around that was difference

How stupid are you? Learn the language if you want to type it out.

>not wanting the kids to watch while you're balls deep in their mom

Nigga you gay?

Dude, that seriously looks like my godson. But that doesn't look like his mom.

Americans need to spend their time working 80 hours a week to afford health insurance, three cars and overprized wooden shacks. The rest of the time is spent worrying about losing health insurance, their cars or the crappy wooden shack.
There's no time for what Euros call life and the pursuit of happiness.
There's also nothing nice or interesting to look at when you're sitting in a Cafe, unlike in Europe. It's better to consume and keep consuming so other people are able to pay for their health insurance, three cars and wooden crap shack. You have to understand this, when you first come to the cradle of freedom.

slightly too much of an exaggeration. i only have to work 70 hours, and i only have 0.75 of a car

Time is money to us we have places to be
>posting on 4 chins

Why the fuck would I want to spend 4 hours in a cafe?
>spends 4 days in his room lurking Sup Forums

Eh, I will happily sit in a bar for 3 or 4 hours reading and whatnot but I assume people do it at cafes too. Nobody seems to give a shit.

You couldn't announce in a better way that you're american. I bet you don't have friends and that your family tolerate you because of same blood

You take up a seat and spend 5 bucks over 4 hrs? Are fucking serious. I would kick your ass out if you were just taking up space.

We have teens at Dennys who do what you fucking do. Everyone hates them too.

This.

Needless to say it, but you should enjoy stuff where same stuff was born.
If I'm sitting in a cafè in Europe and a waiter comes with me with a scowl, I'll fucking ask him to apologize or I'll have a talk with a manager and possibly fuck his shitty job only to stay 3 or 4 hours more after he/she gets fired.

Also no tips or shit like that, because waiters in Eu actually get paid, so no need to come asking anything to me if I already paid at the counter.

>he looks at that picture and sees nothing but a family,with disposable income
Fuck dude, I'm an american myself and I can see why that shit makes people uncomfortable

>TIME IS MONEY MAYN, ALL I DO IS WORK AND FUCK, WHATRE YOU GAY OR SOMETHING?
What a disgusting way to live your life

a bunch of mac fags. fuck off

In the US you stick to friends and family, the public is evil, poor and after your money.
You will also get attacked and harrassed if you don't look like you belong somewhere.
This is the effect of late stage capitalism combined with a frontier village mentality.
Just look at it like a free open-air museum, traveller.

He was, apparently, visiting New York in the hope of experiencing "American culture".

After four hours, he moved on:

..... having failed to observe anything remotely similar to "cultured" behaviour or sophistication.

na, here in america we pay waiters and waitresses next to nothing so they rely on tips. gotta get the people in and out to make room for the next one.

That*s not all I did. Walking around Manhattan and Brooklyn for 6 hours straight is quite tiresome, though. So it was a nice break.

I would never even think for a second to go to a European version of Sup Forums to talk shit about Europe, or anywhere for that matter.

What compels you to do such a thing? I have an idea, but I'll keep it to myself.

What? I specifically said that I didn't post it to talk shit about USA. I just wanted to know if the mentality differed. That's all.

no, americans hate public goods

probably because some euro trash with no home came into their cafe and stayed for 3-4 hours without buying anything

idk, fags hang out in starbucks, i think

you could do that

its seen as strange in the US. Americans have a sort of mentality they should always be doing something and sitting around a coffee shop is odd unless your in a deeply liberal city

oh unless this is just an anti-america post in which case LELJIJTOPKEKM8!!!!!ONE!!

>t.proud slave in denial

user, mon frere, zees neegair gets it

sure you wouldn't. I've seen the comments sections on European anglophone boards.

what this guy said. Puritanism is brain damage.