/daily/ - bread edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

old bread

Other urls found in this thread:

www24.zippyshare.com/v/f1zntnUG/file.html
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма-казма/пляски-трубадуров/
discogs.com/artist/1095-Andrés
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cease this meme general

Japanese bird cooking spaghetti

doesn't look like spaghetti but it's really cute thanks :)

dogevilage

oh shut up yamir ]:0

john coltrane - live at the dogevillage vanguard

Trim's album was alright and really just that. I've never fashioned myself to be a Grime(s) man so this was understandably average to me. I liked a fair chunk of the beats, especially the weird almost Paper Mario sounding ones, but there's something about vocals in most Grime albums that i can't get over. Also some of the lyrics were either weird or straight up funny which i think was actually a positive overall

so yeah, 6.5

Finally some free time to keep this thing going

>Modest Mouse - Sad Sappy Sucker Chokin on a Mouthful of Lost Thoughts
Short album filled with lots of tracks and a lot are filler but still doesn't matter since it goes by pretty fast although as an EP it would be 10 times better. Charming in its own peculiar way but pretty average overall.
6.5+

>Bathory - The Return.....
Man I don't know, I didn't like the vocals at all, some riffs are neat but also there's like nothing that I will be remembering or makes me go back to it.

>Florian Hecker, Mark Leckey - Hecker Lecky Sound Voice Chimera
>Electroacoustic Glitch
Probably the strangest album on this chart. Broken up into 3 tracks of almost equal length, experimental sound bites are spread out like separate rooms. Primitive analogs endlessly run in circles or through halls, a corpse lies face-first on an electric organ, bird chirps become a quasar, and voices sound like they come from cheap automatons; all of these "experiments" focus on repetition.

Most of the voices you hear are from Leckey's "GreenScreenRefrigeratorAction". I thought the tentativeness fit the music at first, but they get old by the middle of the second track. I did like how they pitched the voices with the patterns heard in the first track, but it wasn't enough to justify the whole album.

6/10

>Lifted - 1
>Ambient Dub, bit o' jazz, "leftfield"
Co La, Motion Graphics, and Gigi Masin are some of the more notable collaborators on this project, their signature sounds obvious on many tracks. Lift is definitely the work of Motion Graphics, with its MIDI piano and New Age synths; meanwhile, bongo samples and scratchy effects on Total Care Zero remind me of Co La. It's an album that flows really easily, maybe better than something like Mono No Aware.

7/10

>Objekt - Flatland
>IDM
"Old-school IDM worship" for sure. But it's also Really Good, like Autechre and Aphex but fresh. Not much else to say about it that couldn't be said about some of those guys, other than there's less sound variety and simpler structures than something like LP6 or any of RDJ's acid techno releases. Better than most

6/10

>Valerio Tricoli - Clonic Earth
>Musique Concrete, Electroacoustic
2 years after Miseri Lares, Tricoli is still very good at creating forboding, stormy landscapes with his tech. This release seems to focus on being less overwhelming, and much more ambient. Tricoli's vocal manipulations are much more effective, and pop songs and . With the amount of different sounds he adds to his work, his focus on a smaller scale gives this album much-needed weight.

7/10

>Helm - Olympic Mess
>Drone, Ambient
One of the most well-known faces of PAN, next to Lee Gamble, Yves Tumor, and M.E.S.H.. While it's not even the most experimental of albums to come from PAN, its loops and notably ambient synths are what works best for it. Things like the sweet string-like ending of Outerzone 2015 balances out the heavier tracks. Kinda reminds me of Replica, overall a very decent ambient album, more colorful than you'd expect.

Stupid fuckin ASMR track though, Strawberry Chapstick isn't nearly as bad as Holly Herndon's, but who actually likes that shit
7+/10

FINAL THREE:
============

trip up:
>Women - Eyesore
Patrick Flegel (and his brother's?) voice here reminded me that, yes, Women is not a bad band, even if their debut has waned on me. Given that this was from Public Strain, they have a poppier sound ala Beach Boys. The two guitars trade off as Flegel's voice hits a peak: "We were sneaking in to the aquarium / gold Leaf in your feet, you left a trail..."

Recc Public Strain for a tournament sometime later.

rodriguez:
>DJ Paypal - Flowers
I was irritated by the Amen break (as I usually am), but it evolves out of that quick into the bubbliness that I enjoy from PC Music. What initially sounds like UK jungle becomes a boppy, head-nodding romp, as the Amen break is turned into a mini kick drum and claps. Not outstanding, but very catchy.

======
CUT:
======

Letov:
>Hartyga project feat. Andrey Bardin - Konguray
I was hoping I'd like this more, but the church organ really takes me out of it. Maybe it's already because the way this song is almost overly cinematic, no thanks to the ritualistic drum. Compared to The Bulgarian Voices where there was was only three parts that traded off, but voices were powerful on first and foremost.

Still willing to hear the album, but I think it's the middle ground when it comes to foreign music that I'm not completely content with.
-------------

RESTRICTIONS for Rodriguez and Trip:

Same as last round. No more than 10 minutes, any genre.

Do you mean LP5 or EP7 lmao

>I was irritated by the Amen break (as I usually am)

FIshmans - 宇宙 日本 世田谷 (Uchu Nippon Setagaya)
>dream pop, trip hop

I liked this a lot more than Long Season! I feel like most of my criticisms of LS are nonexistent on this album, as the song-oriented structure (as opposed to one long composition) allows for the band to explore more ideas, and the songs become a lot more immediate and varied as a result. However, it doesn’t lose the dreamy repetitive style that made the better parts of Long Season so enjoyable; the longer tracks on here like Weather Report (which seems to have SAW 87-92 vibes) and Walking In The Rhythm have a lot of space to let the jams breathe, and the violin playing on the latter track is a real treat.

3.5+

what next hmm?

anarchists pls go

reminder that RYM generals BTFO these threads

thanks for the reminder user

borden, gastr del sol

>I was irritated by the Amen break
literally impossible

>(as I usually am)
wth

idk whatever autechre LP that was slightly above mediocre
am i allowed to not like something I've heard hundreds of times

"no"

good ambeint

anarchists are just libs in disguise so have fun in the gulag tbqh..

this

""no""

you've heard it literally hundreds of times yet you still don't like it?

reminder that he has a portrait of stalin on his wall

This Marxist-Leninst Destroys Liberals While Being The Sexiest Man On Earth

Here is how I think my opinion will change

old s c hool

correct

breddy gud

ree

the correct term is actually apex öpö

>Rocketship - A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness
Cute, comfy, whatever. The pervasive organ is obviously the most striking element on

this album; it's way too loud on most of the tracks and probably overused, but I don't

mind. There's enough slow tracks on here that I definitely feel like listening to this

again.

>Sadistik - The Balancing Act
The only reason why I listened to this album in the first place was because Emancipator

did a lot of the production, and I liked his style of downtempo at the time. I can't

say the same for Sadistik's rapping though; for a hip-hop album that's trying to be

personal and emotional, it doesn't feel like much of either. The lyricism and vocal

delivery are very dramatic, almost to the point of cheesiness, and only one song

(November) manages to come off as sincere. At least the production is pretty alright.
2.5+

>Mr. Gnome - Heave Yer Skeleton
This is really bland. It reminds me of that Ume album I had on a previous chart, since it's just indie rock with female vocals, and little else to make it stand out.

>Dunian - Dunian
Some Latvian dude released this 11 minute long EP of adequately chill wonky stuff and

then pretty much disappeared. Well, Discogs claims that he's now the dude behind

Domenique Dumont, but I can't find a source for that.
3.0-

>Slaraffenland - Private Cinema
Danish post-rock with vocals and the occasional jazz freakout(?), decent stuff. The

sole fact that the non-guitar instrumentation is mostly brass and woodwind as opposed

to strings and piano is more than enough to keep me ineterested.
3.5-

>Korallreven - An Album By Korallreven
Adding baelaric beat elements to already vapid "chillwave" (read: generic synth heavy indie pop with reverb) isn't a great idea. It's the musical equivalent of those indoor ski resorts in Dubai: a soullessly manufactured waste of effort, all just to appear tacky and forced.
2.0+

öpööööö

pictured: polar bear rushing to join the plug

That's the last time I use Notepad to save my reviews, jesus christ.

>Rocketship - A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness
Cute, comfy, whatever. The pervasive organ is obviously the most striking element on this album; it's way too loud on most of the tracks and probably overused, but I don't mind. There's enough slow tracks on here that I definitely feel like listening to this again.

>Sadistik - The Balancing Act
The only reason why I listened to this album in the first place was because Emancipator did a lot of the production, and I liked his style of downtempo at the time. I can't say the same for Sadistik's rapping though; for a hip-hop album that's trying to be personal and emotional, it doesn't feel like much of either. The lyricism and vocal delivery are very dramatic, almost to the point of cheesiness, and only one song (November) manages to come off as sincere. At least the production is pretty alright.
2.5+

>Mr. Gnome - Heave Yer Skeleton
This is really bland. It reminds me of that Ume album I had on a previous chart, since it's just indie rock with female vocals, and little else to make it stand out.

>Dunian - Dunian
Some Latvian dude released this 11 minute long EP of adequately chill wonky stuff and then pretty much disappeared. Well, Discogs claims that he's now the dude behind Domenique Dumont, but I can't find a source for that.
3.0-

>Slaraffenland - Private Cinema
Danish post-rock with vocals and the occasional jazz freakout(?), decent stuff. The sole fact that the non-guitar instrumentation is mostly brass and woodwind as opposed to strings and piano is more than enough to keep me ineterested.
3.5-

>Korallreven - An Album By Korallreven
Adding baelaric beat elements to already vapid "chillwave" (read: generic synth heavy indie pop with reverb) isn't a great idea. It's the musical equivalent of those indoor ski resorts in Dubai: a soullessly manufactured waste of effort, all just to appear tacky and forced.
2.0+

дщд

is this eisbaer

silly, that's obviously a woggle

red house painters - katy song

>not Women or Duster
what meme is this

World Cup - Jump Scene

as opposed to women or duster songs, katy song is actually better out of context

ask for thoughts! summer classes are over. don't expect them to be quality tho, I suck at reviewing albums

also I'm DLing your recs now

uhhh what're the 8s

David Borden - The Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Parts 1-4+8
>minimalism, electronic baroque

Some undeniably interesting sounds on here. If I had to describe it, I’d probably make myself look like an absolute pleb when it comes to Classical Music and say its a lot like if you took Steve Reich and Bach and ran it through a midi controller. Textures and synth sounds change from part to part (introducing some pretty cool vocals in parts 3 & 4 that remind me of the deconstructive choir experiments Tim Hecker was working with on his latest album), but for the most part the album sticks to its eternal braid of interlocking, nonstop counterpoint harmony. Part 8 introduced what sounds like a guitar into the mix, adding some much needed viscerality to the track and making it probably my favourite track on here.

Sadly, the album mostly falls into the same problems that keeps me from fully enjoying a lot of baroque era counterpoint-focused classical music (or a lot of math rock, for that matter): it’s in*sane*ly complex and impressive from a theory perspective, but without deep knowledge of whats really going on in these compositions, it sometimes just goes over my head without making much of an emotional impact on me.

3.0+

next is Gastr Del Sol

I agree with your 4.5 on Tyranny, but did you have any thoughts on the track Human Sadness?

stop...disliking...tyranny

in order

>Artur Rubenstien - The Nocturnes
>Kyle Gann - Custer and Sitting Bull

Human Sadness is by far the best track on the album. The best things about it are the melancholic bass riff and how the vocals effortlessly move about it's scale on the hook.

It does suffer from the same vice of rest of the album, which is that of an ugly, cluttered, and unfocused production/instrumentation.

I wish I could like it more. The brilliance of Sometimes and Reptillia is buried deep within indistinct and distracting noise.

*Someday

shows how much I know about The Strokes lol

Glad you liked it more than the rest of the album. It was released as a lead single and I was insanely hyped for the album but it ended up just being so disappointing in comparison

K A Z M A
A
Z
M
A

listening rn, I actually downloaded it from you on soulseek

Is the sound quality supposed to be shitty?

Probably not, the only copy that has ever been ripped is a bootleg

I endorse this message

that's a shame. I'm no stranger to lo-fi shit but I feel like the album would benefit from a higher quality recording

Surely there's some group that did moody city jazz that's more interesting than this

that Noir soundtrack by le Miles

summoning blapp to share this, to think that i was actually gonna buy this just to listen haha

DJ Yo-Yo Dieting - Undone Faces Withering (2007)
>chopped and screwed, plunderphonics
>hopefully as fun as dormant mirrors

link: www24.zippyshare.com/v/f1zntnUG/file.html

This is exactly what I wanted, thanks very much

ooo bb u summoned me
imma screenshot this so i can download it once i finally get a computer in two weeks

idk if zippy links last that long, but you know how to reach me if it doesn't work by then

nice, glad you dig the lyrics too, he's got a kind of funny-how? kind of thing going on

i met a girl that said her aunt was very good friends with elliott smith and that she's personally friends with pinegrove and honestly these scenarios are too obscure that i'm choosing to believe her

so yeah THAT'S cool

also i start classes tomorrow wish me luck

Paul Simon - Paul Simon (1972)
>singer/songwriter, folk rock

About ten times better than Graceland, that's for sure, but it's lacking the intimate, delicate nature of Simon & Garfunkel's works that makes them so special. Simon's a lovely singer on his own right, and his songwriting is always great, yet without Garfunkel some of his songs seem a bit hollow, especially the blues and reggae songs. He doesn't do any sort of great disservice to these genres, his takes are just naturally very flaccid and undercooked. Simon's brand of folk rock here is great, though. "Run That Body Down" and "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" are obvious classics and this whole thing just has a really nice feel and sound to it, laid back and chill but not lethargic. Cool record. Not great, but pretty cool.

2.5+

Holy shit guys this is so cool

Bill Wells and Maher Shalal Hash Baz - GOK (2009)
>experimental big band

A colorful, kaleidoscopic take on big band. There's a really amateurish charm to this that I enjoy a lot, it's completely distinct from any other in this style of heard and it's lovely. This charm can lead to some less-than-stellar moments, however, especially when it gets more child-like. It's pretty loose, which is occasionally a fault, more often something positive, as it adds to the singularity of this whole album. In any other tourney ricebeansandegg would've sinched it, but Letov really pulled the trump card here.

3.0+

Letov moves on.

gotta relisten to that

abscence is fucking dope, that didn't really grab me tho

Damn that's crazy. Sounds like a cool chick t b h. Good luck with all that man, first day of classes can be a little stressful

Funny, I didn't get much out of Absence, I found it kind of grating. But this has noise/drone elements just floating around in the background that are fucking blowing me away for whatever reason.

It's one of the coolest experimental hip-hop albums I've heard so far, really hitting the sweet spot rn. It sounds like they threw sitar or something in the background of a lot of these tracks and I love it.

buncha nerds already having classes.

thanks, i'm pretty hyped tho

and i guess i should def revisit filthy tongues

my dad's a huge dalek fan and that's his fav too

Panasonic - Vakio (1995)
>glitch, minimal techno

Slightly too minimal and spare for me to get into. Panasonic's failings come with their general lack of a diverse sonic pallette. They make great headphone music, their various sounds coming off more like headphone glitches than actual musical sounds (in the best way possible), and do little more than pull off some cool sound design. The techno-influenced tracks generally bang, the glitch is a lot more obtuse and unenjoyable.

2.5+

Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Orchestra - Out to Lunch (2005)
>experimental big band

A very cool interpretation of one of the best jazz albums ever. Yoshihide stays true to a lot of the original album's motifs, and completely disregards every other aspect of it. He brings in onkyo, Naked City-esque punk, and mostly straight-jazz, and pulls them all off very well. The onkyo that takes over the closing track is entirely unnecessary and pretty weak, but everything else is great.

3.0+

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run (1973)
>pop rock

Much weaker than RAM; a half-baked pop album that dabbles poorly in prog. The title track is killer, as is the driving "Jet", the rest lacks the melodic capabiliy so prominent in most of McCartney's work, often devolving into unstructured, awkward prog.

2.0+

London Sinfonietta / David Zinman / Dawn Upshaw - Symphony No. 3 (1992)
>symphony, modern classical

Overblown movie soundtrack mush. The first movement has it's moments of beauty, but even that is squandered by a complete lack of a grasp on dynamics and decent structure. Far too soft segments clash into loud moments with no hint of subtlety or warning, and nothing interesting is posed with this dichotomy. Clean, synthetic production saps the life and emotion out of the performances save for Upshaw's, the strings especially. Like I said, the first movement is fairly beautiful, the rest entirely underwhelming.

2.0+

jet is so good
makes me happy

monkey_peeing_in_his_own_mouth.webm

rsaver

im the fuckin cloob master

>just a 4.5 for Tyranny
>just a 5.5 for TDS

Disregard music, ok what are you watching next?

delel this

u fuckin ImbeCILES- liking MUSIC? I give music q -1/10 before u were BORN

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма-казма/пляски-трубадуров/

if you need a pic

how many groovy tracks can one fat detroit man make?
his first 5 singles/EPs on discogs are all great, this is seriously the chillest and coolest house I've heard.

discogs.com/artist/1095-Andrés

H A I
A
I

K A Z M A
A
Z
M
A

desu

hey guys im not dead just busy at work, probably going to be away a little longer, until October basically. keep up the good work though, you're good dudes.

and good luck in college, too. don't skip class, it's like paying for a hotel then sleeping in the gutter.

been a while, stupid stuff. just got ~50% done with making my backlog chart. that's about as easy as having listened to half, right?
thx! starting again on monday after being out of uni for a year or two so kinda nervous.

Still need a tiebreaker song from 2017 from NoveltyCondom and a rec for the final round from Dogwander.

In other news, Coin Coin Chapter One is pretty great, should've listened to it earlier but the spoken word tag on rym threw me off a bit. Now I realize the spoken word parts are probably the best thing about the album.

guys i think i'm going to mexico

tenho um poster do tupac no meu quarto

você fala português?

that's not even the amen tho, it's a dif break

we been over this an bro.
tu és brasileiro certo? já tinhamos tido descoberto isto há uns anos

manda mais recs de breakbeat hardcore já agora camarada

I have terrible short memory. And yeah I'm br.

I bet you're the same trip I keep bumping into on /lit/. Maybe not, he's even oldfag than me iirc.

Pra já camarada
>Zomby - Where Were U in 92
(really wish Zomby would go back to those roots)
>V/A - Sub Base for Your Face Comp

dont fucking post off topic shit on mu