Why?

Honestly, why does everyone listen to such shit music. I mean to say the general populace. There is so much good music out there and yet they large majority latches on to the absolute worst shit out there. I speak both to most pop music and all the rap that is void of any musicality.

>huurr pop music is garbage let me ignore the rest of threads

What is your point here? From what I can tell Sup Forums is fairly diverse in its music tastes. I mean the people walking around me who just listen to whatever is being advertised at them.

>everything I don't like is baaaaaaaad

Even the cover art for the single is awful.

Maybe I'm being baited now, but aren't you taking this post the wrong way, and overgeneralizing everyone who says pop is shit? I like prog and jazz, mainly, but I'm listening to OkComputer right now because it is so highly acclaimed. It isn't my favorite music, but I can at least recognize the difference between this and whatever is selling right now (not to say that music has to be >10 years old, that's retarded).

nice youtube comment bro this would look really nice under a stairway to heaven music video

Swish Swish exists to keep the Katy/Taylor feud going. The actual content of the song is secondary.

Most people can't recognize good music if they heard it. In fact there's too much good music being made, and all those artists do their best to promote and tour, but it's not going to get any exposure because only those who are still signed to major labels outpay them for ads and streams.

Why would you use Swish Swish as an example when it's literally one of the biggest flops of the year.

It's a fun song tho

idk i can see the appeal to coldplay, 21 pilots, imagine dragons and foo fighters

i quite enjoy them, i wouldn't go out of my way to listen though

Because it's the most recent pop song I've heard. Didn't know it flopped.

>Most people can't recognize good music if they heard it.

Do you know there are 50 year olds who Steve Hoffman Forums who actually defend garbage from the 70s like Kansas and Styx because they listened to it when they were 14?

Pic related is a total commercial flop though

>because it is so highly acclaimed
Cute appeal to authority.

>but I can at least recognize the difference between this and whatever is selling right now
No shit, different music is different. You can argue about technical aspects of creating it too, or the singing, lyrics, whatever. Neither of it is relevant if something is good or bad ... unless you can make an argument that it is of course. Good luck with that though.

What's the point of the autism though? If someone enjoys Swish Swish, it's a great song for the person in question and none of your arguments will lower their enjoyment. At best you can nudge the person to the shit you think is good, just if the person doesn't enjoy it, it's not, for them. So why trying to push your opinion on others?

Transcendental Études is better than 99% of the shit this boards likes going by usual criteria and takes more skill in execution, that all of their favorite artists could muster together, does it mean people should stop liking whatever they like and switch to classical?

It's ok tit perry won't be missed, you can relish in that at least.

There's worse music from that era than buttprog desu

Either music clicks with you or it doesn't, it all depends on your age/subgeneration/gender/race/geographical location/personality type/even the mood you're in at the moment. Some days you can listen to a song on repeat, other times you have no desire to hear it.

I should have been more clear. Musical tastes are completely subjective and I don't look down on someone for whatever music they like (I can see how it sounded like that though). I just mean that it is difficult to talk to anyone about music because I don't like all the popular stuff, and I was saying it astounds me that popular stuff is so popular (I sound like an idiot). I'm not going to try to tell someone my music is objectively better than theirs though, that was me in middle school.

no, MY musical taste is the ONLY musical taste, i simply DONT understand how anyone can like ANYTHIGN different because im ASPERGIC

is that a word?

What people don't like is mindless commercial garbage produced for money that waters down the music made by actually talented artists.

70s buttprog is bad music for that reason, which is why those bands died off in the 80s and were left playing at the county fair circuit to nostalgiafags.

It's not bad, it's just ripping off better dance songs.
I think the old guard of pop songwriters are faultering due to age, that's why pop is going downhill.

Sorry, didn't mean to reply

Honestly "my shooters will make em dance like dubstep" is a pretty hard bar

I've met countless skilled musicians that only like John Mayer, Ed Sheeran, and the Beatles

Ah my, bad then, misunderstood the main point.

It's popular because tons of research went into finding what makes people like stuff. Pop music has A LOT work involved to make it as perfect as possible for the biggest amount of people. It's more a work of science than a work of art in a way, kinda like a mcdonalds burger or coke. The end product might seem simple but making it "just right" takes a lot knowledge.

A more simple side is the branding and identity of the artist, which usually boils down to an ideal version of what the audience wants to be (or at least one side of them), like your average movie protagonist.

I've been made aware of the effort that goes into making a pop song before: if it were easy I would be doing it. I suppose I just wish it was also capable of getting people more invested in it. I don't want to say "It needs to be more complex", but even if I try to talk to someone about their favorite pop album, they usually can't talk to much other than how it "made them feel".

>A more simple side is the branding and identity of the artist, which usually boils down to an ideal version of what the audience wants to be (or at least one side of them), like your average movie protagonist.

If you have an established "brand" as an artist, you'll be set for the rest of your life ala the Rolling Stones. The problem with Katy Perry is that she doesn't have a clear "brand" or identity like Kanye or something does.

Dave Grohl seems to be completely ignorant of anything outside entry level classic rock.

I try to tell myself most of the demand for this stuff has been carefully engineered by (((them))) and forced upon young, impressionable people but maybe most people just don't want to put any effort into finding good artists and consume what's readily available.

>There is so much good music out there and yet they large majority latches on to the absolute worst shit out there.
blame record labels

I saw the Foo Fighters once; they came off as just tired, boring dadrock with arena rock cliches and every member of the band doing extended length solos.

Well, as another user posted, most people don't really care about music beyond getting some feelz out of it. Only people involved in making it (or at least interest in art) analyze it further. Same with other mediums too, people will tell you they love book X and show Y but rarely can give an in-depth answer for the "why".

That's why she's on a downward spiral, her gimmick-ness is running out and she couldn't successfully find something else. Doubt we'll hear much from her in the next five years.

>That's why she's on a downward spiral, her gimmick-ness is running out and she couldn't successfully find something else

I mean, hey, Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj ran out of ideas in a hurry. The former managed two albums, the latter just one.

Katy Perry is as we've discussed before a singles artist, she is not an album artist like Taylor or Kanye or even Rihanna. I'm inclined to think Christgau was right when he said trendsetters and smart people don't buy singles.

Say, what exactly was Katy Perry's "gimmick" to begin with? Christian girl goes wild or something to that effect?

That's how I perceived her at least as someone who doesn't give a damn about pop. Afterwards there were weird outfits, and now I know her as some chick with ugly hair who has beef with Tay-tay.

Gaga was always fine since she's actually talented compared to her peers, she knows how to perform and put on a show. Pretty sure she's playing stadiums right now for her current tour.

Katy wishes she was having ARTPOP level success right now desu

Lady Gaga is an album artist though, which gives her more credibility. Singles and singles artists are for casuals who don't really care about music and just want something vaguely catchy that plays over the sound system while they're shopping for slacks at the mall.

>getting receipts

Katy BTFO

teenage dream was actually a GOAT pop album but fuck katy perry

Like most things, because the general populations are stupid, herd mentality to feel safe, and maybe don't know any better than the ones that become mainstream enough

- They believe what the politicians / public leaders promise even though said leaders is full of shit
- They believe that certain behaviors (lifestyles) and things (nice things) will make them worth more as a human
- They don't want to feel left out because they don't follow popular media, as time goes because most people listen to it or it's being played countless times literally everywhere, then it must be good

Not that my tastes are superior, not that I hate nice things, or I completely shit or don't enjoy any popular things but still

>- They believe that certain behaviors (lifestyles) will make them worth more as a human
Which is true. Someone focusing on self improvement is worth more than some NEET switching between vidya, jerking off and sleeping.

>What people don't like is mindless commercial garbage produced for money that waters down the music made by actually talented artists.
but that's literally what they like

swift we know its you. up the ante or gtfo, op is closing 30 with no husband. kek

it;s the same reason people love the fast and furious movies. most people are plebeians.

no. it wasn't.

>getting married
>at any age

They don't listen. Music has been the 'cool' interest to have since the Beatles blew up around the time that subcultures became a thing. Wearing shitty headphones and saying you listen to what is considered cool are like doing beetles rolling shit.

What commercial pop music does is give boring people who don't understand anything with any depth something to talk about to each other. It also is like a warning that someone is sort of stupid. It's a great tool.

>fuck katy perry
yes please