Give me some albums that explore mental illness, loneliness, mortality, and death to an obsessive degree...

Give me some albums that explore mental illness, loneliness, mortality, and death to an obsessive degree, like albums where you're genuinely worried for the songwriter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PMBKPr1YG9I
youtube.com/watch?v=J5Z8qaFfagU
youtube.com/watch?v=BQR6tGNwzzE
youtube.com/watch?v=wFfqT5nYnTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Brand New

Guy is always talking about drowning and getting hit by trains and getting set on fire

That new mount eerie album

How sad can one man be

Probably not what you're looking for but Faces by Mac Miller goes into his drug use and degeneracy.

I mean, if you haven't listened to this already, this is like perfectly what you're describing.

The Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers

songwriter literally an hero'd too (most likely) so you know its real

pink moon

>literally
>most likely

Obvious choices yeah but both of joy division's albums

10/10 album amazing

In Utero

this
youtube.com/watch?v=PMBKPr1YG9I

Billy's ego is the only thing that stopped him from killing himself imo desu

The Plot In You - Happiness In Self Destruction

Deals with Drug Abuse for the most part. Other parts are about depression.

This album is exactly what you're looking for. It's a concept album where a depressed/tortured writer explores his mental illness and pain through short stories.

One of the best Post-hardcore albums of the 2010s

>Edward Benz, 27 Times

Christ.

Giles Corey - Giles Corey
Best album about death ever written
Also Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness,
Both are Written by the same dude

Also Flying Lotus - You're Dead is great

I See Everything is my favorite from this album.

"JANUARY NINETEENTH - WE BURIED OUR SON TODAY" that like is such a punch in the gut.

Not like this is about mental illness, but it's a really neurotic and obsessive and esoteric album, and it's something you'd like probably

Check out some of Scaruffi's 8+ albums if you like neurotic music, obviously not all of them are like this but a good handful of them are deranged in a really great way

i second this very good album

the harrowing sound of one man on the brink

Right?
>I sit in my apartment
>I'm getting no answers
>I'm finding no peace, no release from the anger
>I leave it at arm's length, I'm keeping my distance
>From hotels and Jesus, and blood on the carpet
>I'm stomaching nothing
>I'm reaching for no one
>I'm leaving this city and headed for nowhere
>I carry your image, your grandfather's coffin
>And Ed if you hear me, I think of you often
>That's all I can offer
>That's all that I know how to give.

I like Safer in the Forest. The way he paints this decaying city is just so perfect. Or The Most Beautiful and Bitter Fruit. Some of their finest lyrics.

The whole album is exactly what OP is looking for, in every sense of the word. I hope he listens to it.

it kinda fluctuates for me, but I also tend to go for the cliche answer of King Park

maybe there's something impressive to me about how they managed to make lyrics that could be some of the most insincere, cringiest shit sound profoundly sincere and powerful within their context

Ah come on. The climax to King Park is fucking amazing.

The only La Dispute material I cringe at is their work BEFORE wildlife.

youtube.com/watch?v=J5Z8qaFfagU

oh, I'm not saying it is, but a line like "Can I still get into heaven if I kill myself?" by it itself could be pretty bad

the song is amazing and the climax is the most powerful part of the album, at least for intensity

as an alcoholic i can confirm these two, moreso the fragile

Without context, yeah. But the context is given by default. Even if we strip away the story behind those lines, it's still the fictional narrator/author of the album genuinely contemplating killing himself. The short stories in Wildlife are part narrative/prose, and part catharsis for the writer. And I'm not talking about Jordan Dreyer/La Dispute.

I'm genuinely worried

My go-to mental illness album

Now that you mention that, what are some good albums that very graphically ruminate upon alcoholism?

youtube.com/watch?v=BQR6tGNwzzE

almost jumped when this was my favorite album

was too drunk to remember but have a pic of me standing on the edge that scared me straight

I'm so scared and I'm there still

A lot of Fiona Apple's early and much newer stuff is concerning. She has a very similar sound to Marina. Her tone is much less vapid than Lana, too.

seconded. really love this album and it got me through some shit a while back.

this so much

Mac's verse on Guild by Earl is dope af. thats all ive heard from him. whats the best place to start with him if i like that?

regardless of where he was at before his drowning... great fucking album... haunting.

youtube.com/watch?v=wFfqT5nYnTM

Man I saw him like yesterday it still says 4real on his arm he was at the local swimming poo doing some laps

I think this belongs, I've always had a feeling he killed himself. The title track is the most damning imo. Though it could just be a coincidence. But it shows you where his mind was at, just a few years before his death.

TON's darkest by far, written during a pretty difficult time in frontman Peter Steele's life after losing several family members. Lyrics are mainly about death, as well as tangential topics like drug addiction. IIRC the band didn't like playing the songs off this album live. Fucking great album though.

A different vein but I can't help worry about Danny :(

this is nowhere near his best album and I'm not just choosing it because it was released after his suicide. There's such a sense of bitterness and disregard for his usual subtlety and approach to songwriting. The imagery is sparse and the lyrics even come off as self important like he wasn't before. He had been through a four year dark period without releases and suffered from paranoia and heroin addiction. He clearly hated himself and was a different person. It also showed him experimenting with noise and writing more discordant stuff.

also oddly I feel an Oasis influence? this album is a lot more riff based than I feel his other albums were.

Was gonna post this.
Amazing album