Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums,
taking apart my old pre-built from early 2000s, I'm not too tech savvy with parts, can somebody tell me what this is? I haven't seen it before.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's cpu leak. happened back then

thats the control module your ISP uses to spy on you - good job on removing it

sddd

Lick it, see what happens.

Thanks mate.

Well... It's fucked.

Nice one :^)
- OP

North Bridge chipset.

The big intel chip to the bottom right is the Southbridge

Follow this tuto Sup Forumsro

OP here, you guys seem to be treating me like I don't know how to build computers. I know how to build ones with newer parts, I had just never seen this before.

I've stripped down some old computers it's pretty much pointless though since they keep changing the connectors.
The one that annoys me the most is ram, they just moved the cut out in the middle slightly. I've got about 6 sticks of completely useless DDR2.

you've never seen a northbridge?

You dont know anything about computers.

... youve never seen a heatsink before?

No shit, was referring to the part underneath.

..... and what do heatsinks like that usually sit on?

I don't have an extensive knowledge of heatsinks like knowing different ones, but I knew it was a heatsink. They sit on top of something that produces heat, thats a given.

Yeah... not sure what's going on with the other responses. I guess I'm autistically a normie, so...

The big black chip is the CPU. 2000? Maybe a Pentium. The white creamy stuff is thermal conductor. It enables more efficient transfer of heat from the CPU to the heat sink, the big aluminum block you've upended. Not sure what the black square on the CPU is - thermally conductive padding to buffer pressure between the heat sink and the CPU?

So this stuff doesn't exist in today's PCs?

Can confirm wasn't the Pentium, already removed it, along with the stock cooler. I'm aware of thermal paste and padding.

basically all pre Intel Core motherboards came with a North and southbridge.

Ha ha ha...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

So something else that processes - built-in video would be the next big processor.

So then why did you circle half the motherboard?

What the fuck are you actually asking?

Pretty sure this is whats going on...

Have you tried looking up the manual in the Internetz?

Thought it was pretty straightforward what he was asking..

Whatever it is, it needs some thermal paste!

Guys be nice, user is just asking for help...

Op, they are just fucking around. That's the flux capacitor and sometimes a plasma build up like that happens. Some fine grade sandpaper will take it right off.