The death of 95.5 WBRU

In about an hour and fifty minutes one of the last bastions of not shit music in southern new england will die. It will be replaced by one of the biggest memes of all musical formats: Christian Rock.

If you're in range of the signal I invite you to join me in sending it off.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sflifd_jaK0
youtube.com/watch?v=uimqclgwDls
youtube.com/watch?v=0WIkaN5UPe0
wbru.com/playlist/
youtube.com/watch?v=Xlx7V-BMRVI
youtube.com/watch?v=bNIeIbuKZZc
youtube.com/watch?v=PMY6f3Ku77A
youtube.com/watch?v=QyovM-S91sI
youtube.com/watch?v=K87MK1Fh43Y
youtube.com/watch?v=MEOlNRbL7kg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>not shit music
maybe if we're talking like 5 years ago. this has been long overdue.

Mourn the death of what it was, not the death of what it is.

>95.5 is becoming Christian
Shit man that happened like seven years ago

Why the fuck would a christ rock station even WANT to broadcast in new england. This isn't the bible belt, we don't care about Jesus.

>used to work here when I went to Brown
>have nothing but bad memories
>this still makes me feel old and sad
feelsbadman.jpg

Supposedly one of the reasons they sold the signal was that they literally could not find students willing to work there. That's impressively terrible.

>fake animal tails, bring that back.

Burn it all to the ground

I don't doubt it. It was an absolute shitshow, the only reason my friends and I ever got involved was the opportunity to get into big shows for free. It didn't help that there was (and still is, I believe) an online radio on campus where you could play whatever you want without restrictions. That will ALWAYS be more appealing to young kids who have a legitimate interest invested in music, 10 times out of 10, no questions asked. Sure, BRU could have been better run, that goes without question. But ultimately, there was very little chance of it surviving regardless of how effectively it did or did not appeal to the younger folks it so desperately needed to survive. I've heard rumors that they may be moving to a station with lesser range - this would be a MASSIVE mistake, waste of time and resources. The kids are online. Follow them. It's not that hard.

well they are doing that, they're going to run a stream of music pretty much the second they lose their signal at midnight, but most of the paid staff is getting sacked so the running theory is it will be little more than a corpse.

Also can't stop restating: Why the fuck christian rock

Oh I'm in the bible belt I forgot that it's not the same radio station everywhere

New England is mostly top 40 trashlists, with the occasional weird country niche channel. Anything else is a dying breed. Jesus is not welcome here.

>Why the fuck christian rock
you know the answer to this question. starts with an M.

>Christian Rock.
youtube.com/watch?v=Sflifd_jaK0
youtube.com/watch?v=uimqclgwDls
youtube.com/watch?v=0WIkaN5UPe0

I'm moving to New England then I'm sick of goddamned christians I just wanna be a satanist in peace

Lived up and down the CT shoreline my whole life, new york fuckers live here in the summer and they're all closet elephanthumpers who host and attend galas to feel better about themselves.

Churches pretty much control the inner cities/garbageheaps too.

>New Yorkers are New Englanders

How good was it actually? No self respecting radio station like Resonance FM or WFMU would allow something like this.

the spin is "internet streams is the future!" which is true, but the real narative is that they're dead broke and sold out to Christfags for money.

WBRU was definitely more of a 90's/early 00's fixture, bit it's still bittersweet to see this happen.

Anything more specific? Genres they used to play, or artists?

Alt rock, a nebulous term. As time marched on they kinda got a 90's/00's prog rock throwback thing going, but they also liked to highlight bizzare local talent that tended in weird directions like folk rock. It's hard to explain.

Also they went 100% black on sundays for the last decade or so, for better or worse.

Yeah, I just saw the artists they used to play. Complete shit. Nothing of value was lost.

you have to understand, we have no other options here.

Boston please upgrade your towers, it's not enough.

wbru.com/playlist/

keep in mind they're kinda shitposting at this point

>christian rock
youtube.com/watch?v=Xlx7V-BMRVI
youtube.com/watch?v=bNIeIbuKZZc
youtube.com/watch?v=PMY6f3Ku77A

10 minutes boys

final song: Smashing Pumpkins - 1979

>one of the hosts drops the F-Bomb
"WBRU your alternative to FCC regulations"

FUCKING KEK

oh nevermind they shoved in some white stripes at the end. Ah well. Rev up those Fs

It's 11:58, It's been real boys. I'm saving this whole post so if you want to be in the screencap hurry the fuck up.

Also, last song with smashing pumpkins was great.

You will be missed 95.5 WBRU

RRRRREEEEXXXXXXXXX

F

IT WENT STRAIGHT TO STATICCCC!!!???

Jesus got the signal at midnight but I guess they couldn't be arsed to actually have anything ready.

Rex was a nice touch, it was technically Friday after all.

youtube.com/watch?v=QyovM-S91sI
youtube.com/watch?v=K87MK1Fh43Y
youtube.com/watch?v=MEOlNRbL7kg

Fuck God Rock desu muh senpai

>95.5 will go off the air and be replaced by Christian rock.

This
Literally this
95.5 WBRU will be missed

NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST
WBRU PLAYED SHIT MUSIC, FURTHER EVIDENCED BY THEIR CHOSE FOR THEIR LAST SONG

No it was a rare Merzbow cut

>Why the fuck would a christ rock station even WANT to broadcast in new england. This isn't the bible belt, we don't care about Jesus.

New England was the center of hardcore Christianity before the Bible Belt existed, man. That's where the fucking Puritans lived.