What's the worst album by your favorite artist(s)?

What's the worst album by your favorite artist(s)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lx2fZU5USus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not my favorite artist but still a wtf is this album.

youtube.com/watch?v=lx2fZU5USus

Leonard Cohen - Death Of A Ladies Man
Eric Clapton - August
Jeff Beck - Flash

It's got some nice songs on there but it was clearly rushed

REM Monster. I tried, but I couldn't listen to this without needing an aspirin.

Sting Soul Cages. It's not a bad album but too soft rock for my taste.

Squeeze Cosi Fan Tutti. Good songs, horrible 80s sound.

Still good though

Metallica: Load (go cut your hair, break out the mud-splattered guitars, and decide you're alternative)

Van Halen: Anything after 1984

Bruce Springsteen: Human Touch

Sugarcubes: Here Today, Tomorrow Next Week

Judas Priest: Turbo/Ram It Down

bottomless pit

Christgau was right, live albums are usually shit and a lot of times just profit-taking throwaways. But then again, the entire idea of a live album is virtually obsolete in the Internet age where you can just watch a video of the artist performing on Youtube.

REM Monster is shit and U2 stopped being a good studio band with Pop. The tour for All That You Can't Leave Behind was fantastic and had some amazing, powerful live performances but the album itself felt like it was slapped together in 5 minutes.

Yeh I dunno why Pop got blasted when it came out, it really is their last good album and ATYCLB proved that they had no more ideas left.

Pink Floyd The Final Cut

That's hard to look at

Yeah fuck you. I don't understand why Floyd fans crap on this album when the drivel they released after Roger Waters left is 10x worse. Have you tried listening to AMLOR?

>Bruce Springsteen: Human Touch
Ugh, this truly is his worst.

Individually there are some great songs but all together just bad

Jethro Tull--A. Tull trying to do New Wave just doesn't work. They recovered partially on Broadsword and the Beast, then lost it again on Under Wraps.

Rolling Stones--Some Girls is the only post-Exile release anyone needs. I actually wince when I hear Start Me Up.

AC/DC--Back in Black is ok despite being blatantly commercial, but other than that they never made a single good album after Bon Scott croaked.

King Crimson - Lizard. Just way too trippy for me. In the Court... and In The Wake.... were excellent. Of course, when Lizard was released, Greg Lake was no longer with the band. Things got better with Larks Tongues and Starless. Red was listenable but after that King Crimson fell off the planet with me.

i really enjoy this for some reason

Zooropa and Pop were great albums IMO, All That You Can't Leave Behind was just them trying to remake The Joshua Tree.

Van Halen III. This one is so ghastly that their official website doesn't even list it in their discography.

Forbidden is much worse than Dehumanizer. That's the one Sabbath album that really has no reason at all to exist.

Springsteen's last good album was Tunnel of Love.

If you ask me, BITUSA (and really, The River) was the end.

>inb4 Metal Machine Music
Nah, Lou Reed's worst one is Mistrial. At least he was serious about that one.

Rolling Stones--Dirty Work, Van Morrison--Days Like These, and Bob Dylan--Knocked Out Loaded are the low point in their discographies. Note that each of those albums has at least one good song on it, but a good song =/= a good album, it means a good single.

>Roger Waters: Pros & Cons
What the fuck is this?

The Jefferson Airplane reunion album from 1989 or for that matter anything the various Airplane/Starship incarnations did after 1974 not to mention 80s Chicago and post-1985 Heart.

Director's Cut
TLOP
Endless River

Johnny Cash laid some major turds in the 70s-80s but I would say the worst were "Look At Them Beans" and "The Baron".

Post-Waters Floyd is completely unlistenable. Van Halen III is unlistenable. Aerosmith Just Push Play is horrible to listen to.

David Bowie--Don't Let Me Down (it did)

Metallica--S&M (Metallica with an orchestra? no thanks)

Just Push Play may be the worst album ever made by a band that still had all of its original members present.

Honorable mentions go to Stevie Nicks: Street Angel, Debbie Harry: Debravation, and Cher: Cherished

This truly is one of the worst albums ever made. Christgau was being too generous by giving a C+.

Compass is a good song and Neil Young's guitar is ace, but other than that the thing is shit and at least 20 minutes too long.

Which is Elton John's lowest point? Victim of Love or Leather Jackets? Hard to choose.

>tfw your favorite band's worst album is still a 7/10

I wonder if their inevitable comeback album will suck.

Got them a lot of new fans, totally alienated their old fans. What a shame to sell out this hard for radio play.

Funny how everyone will barbecue these two albums over a spit while ignoring the Lion King soundtrack and everything else he put out during the Clinton years. That was truly nauseating but because the Lion King soundtrack sold like gangbusters, it's easier to shit on VOL and LJ which sold about 20 copies each and IMO neither are as atrocious as Elton's Disney period.

I hate Who Are You, the only good song on there is John Entwistle's "Trick of the Light". Pete Townshend's Gilbert & Sullivan songwriting makes the rest of the album completely nauseating and it was painfully obvious that by this point, The Who were simply there to make money while he saved all of his good material for his solo albums. It was just a complete betrayal of everything they represented as a band up to that point.

I think my Neil Young vote would go to Broken Arrow, in that, while his 80s albums made an impression on me (good or bad), I can't even remember what this one sounds like.

I quite enjoy Broken Arrow. Great extended guitar jams, a very nice overall sound, and in true Neil fashion a bonus track only available on the vinyl release. The last song has awful sound (live recording from a club he played in) and interesting packaging.

Beach Boys--15 Big Ones. When this came out, Reprise had a huge amount of "Hey everybody, Brian's back!" advertising to promote the thing. What they didn't tell you was "Hey, remember that beautiful falsetto voice Brian used to have? Yeah, about that..."

his notorious sellout album

Load is actually quite decent, it's just not metal.
Reload and especially St.Anger were worse.

>Reload
I almost fell asleep listening to The Fixxxer.

If you're gonna do 8 minute tracks, at least have enough material for them. Or at least don't bury the vocals in the back of the mix.

I liked it

Metallica - St. Anger
Megadeth - Risk

Really? This one? I'd have posted Forbidden, Dehumanizer's pretty good.

This album is pretty bad and the background and recording of it are a comedy of errors.

>Sammy Hagar leaves
>they're unable to work things out with DLR and get him back into the band
>so they hire Gary Cherone, a veteran soft rock frontman
>well, this didn't go over well with fans at all
>the songs are largely crap despite Eddie's usual guitar pyrotechnics
>to top it off, Eddie himself does lead vocals for the first time ever on the closing track, a Rogers & Hammerstein-esque piano number
>the album bombed as far as sales and the tour was mostly also a flop

It's funny because Tony Iommi thinks Dehumanizer is the worst thing he ever recorded and that Forbidden's songwriting was ok, but the mix came out all wrong.

The album sounds like Michael Anthony was't even on it. It just sounded thin and weak to me.

That P4K review was pure garbage.

From what I read somewhere, Michael Anthony claimed that Eddie played all the bass lines on VH3 himself.

Anything Depeche Mode put out after Faith and Devotion

Sadly it's still better than 81,8% of the music out there.

Whoever played them, you can't hear the bass at all. The songs on the album were directionless and the mixing was horrible. However, the tour to promote VH3 was great, my cousin saw them on it.

Gary Cherone just lacked good material. Limp riffs and boring songwriting.

Uggh, this. VH3 had literally _no_ melodies anywhere on it. It was just Cherone screaming over a wall of noise.

Not counting their comeback albums

To be fair, the lack of good melodies had been a problem on the Hagar albums which is ironic since he was a much better vocalist than DLR.

VH3 reminds me a lot of Motley Crue S/T with John Corabi replacing Vince Neil at vocals. VH3 has its moments and (just like the Crue release) had it been released under a different band name it may have been given its proper due. Van Halen survived the shift to Hagar and even flourished, partly because their music shifted into a different style. When VH3 came around it was just confused and lost sounding, no matter what talent lay beneath the surface.

Pinkerton

Gary Cherone is wrongly blamed for the failure of VH3. Actually he's a great singer and songwriter, and the 98-99 tour was one of their best, plus Gary was a total bro to the fans. He also selected the live setlists and it was the only tour where both Roth and Hagar songs were performed live (unlike how those two manchildren would absolutely refuse to do the other guy's songs in concert). The lyrics showed a lot of depth and maturity that were 2deep4 Van Halen's dumb buttrocker fanbase, and it lacked Michael Anthony's backing vocals and hooks because he got into an argument with Eddie who essentially excised him from the album.

It isn't a bad record at all, it's just not what Van Halen fans wanted.

Agreed honestly. Seeing them live in a couple weeks actually

Forbidden has a slick 80s hair metal production which doesn't fit Black Sabbath at all, and why the fuck would you still mix an album like that in 1995?

Once I suggested "Van That Guy From Extreme" as a band name to my band as kind of a play on Van Halen - Van Hagar.

They kicked me out a week later.

True story.

>>so they hire Gary Cherone, a veteran soft rock frontman

Yeah, Extreme wasn't...extreme like their namesake suggested, but there was way, way more to them than than fuckin' More Than Words.

Check out their third album "III Sides to Every Story" sometime. Its really good and the furthest thing from "soft rock".

That Mötley Crüe album with John Corabi fuckin' rocks, though.

Hooligan's Holiday and Misunderstood are legitimately great tunes.

Extreme did funk rock kind of like RHCP, whom they were contemporaries of, but a bit more metal-tinged.

do people actually like Aerosmith?

Every 80s band pretty much cited them as an influence. But only for their mid-70s output, not Permanent Vacation.

Trompe le Monde is worse, this has at least 3 good tracks

let's be honest, everything after this was trash also, and even before it was just edgy meme rap

That isnt Technical Ecstasy

wtf I love this album, it's pretty underrated
never say die, technical ecstasy, forbidden and the eternal idol are way worse

>King Crimson
>Lizard

Please, please, PLEASE kill yourself

Dehumanizer has some great tracks, its just that the rest is a bit bland
Certainly not the worst sabbath by a long way

Absolutely stinker of an album, not a memorable track among them.

Who knows? They had stated that their next album will be like Shinola; just a compilation of unreleased tracks. Might be just as good.

The tour was good, but the album was inexcusably bad. Unfortunately, while a bad live performance is soon forgotten, a bad album will haunt you forever.

I actually think Trompe le Monde is better, it's far more exciting in my opinion

Most bands I like are my favorites because they're consistent and don't put out too much bad material. That being said my two favorite artists are Unwound and Deftones and id day their weakest are Challenge for a Civilised Society and Gore respectively. Not bad albums but definitely not as solid songwriting and less memorable than the rest.

HAHA still an 8/10

>not losing your shit to level 5 on the power to believe

Thought that was an image of that cloak bloke from star wars electrocuting Asuka. Congratulations by the way

Call of ktulu on s/m is ebin tho and far superior to reload, st anger, and lulu

You have no soul. The songs they played from that album were amazing live