Foo Fighters Member Reveals What Next Kurt Cobain Needs To Destroy

>“To me, the things I don’t love about EDM and pop music is the lack of human feel. I get sad to think that the human feel of music is going to be gone from the mainstream and it’s all just going to be sort of this clicking and popping of computers with Auto-Tuned vocals. To me, that sounds so depressing,” he says.

>He later said about rock, “These things are always cyclical. I think it will come back. I’d like to think there’s a Kurt Cobain, a Jimi Hendrix or someone in his parents’ basement getting ready to explode it all again. I’d like to think it’s someone with a guitar and bass and drums.”

>“We had our time to be new. Now we’re sort of enjoying our ‘elder statesmen of rock’ status and are happy to teach the kids what it’s like to play the guitar and drums.”

Is based drummer man right, bros? What does the next Kurt Cobain need to destroy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l4MNvl72z6g
youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M
youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/r3zw83/synthesizers-impact-heavy-metal
youtube.com/watch?v=jJUZf0SFDvA
youtube.com/watch?v=_8a47QOp10o
youtube.com/watch?v=c9Z6fzbazJY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can anybody tell me even one thing that Nirvana did that was innovative in the slightest?

Did you just call me bro?

I like his music, but man he is such a douche when he talks about this stuff.

THey popularised grunge music and put an end to the glam rock scene.

Perfected the Seattle sound(Grunge) and made it popular, and killed glamshit and made rock be more about lyrics instead of shredding. Basically brought Rock back down to a level that it used to have, or never had at all.

Can you name me a band from before Nirvana that ACTUALLY sounds like Nirvana (i.e. not an edgy meme response that doesn't sound anything like Nirvana like Pixies, Beat Happening, or Wipers)

>implying rock doesn't lack a human feel these days
h*ck off

shut the fuck up and drum, monkey.

yea, bro.

and even besides that, kurts ability to write hits is pretty much unmatched

How is grunge any different than punk?

The Ramones

I agree with his basic points although he does sound kind of douchebaggy in the way he says them and he's still kind of stuck in the 80s with his hate of synthesizers.

Also

Getting popular =/= innovative

>name a band that sounds like Nirvana
>those other bands that sound like nirvana dont count

>human feel
The same criticism comes in for every type of music. There's no 'human feel' in little black notes. The 'human feel' comes from the human's response to the music. He literally doesn't get it dad, unless he thinks EDM listeners are all robots programmed to not buy Foo Farters CDs.

>innovative
Who cares?

They don't sound like Nirvana though. They were just cited by Kurt as influences.

>they both have guitars and drums?
>then they sound alike
Stop

mudhoney, early soundgarden

come on son read a book

Less poppy, lacked similar vocal style.

Punk is faster and is about cramming in as much angry lyrics as possible inside a relatively short song, Grunge is a bit slower with focus on moody and nihilistic lyrics and lots of distortion.

Punk is pure raw form of rock and roll, while Grunge has some metal ,classic and hardcore influences. Basically, if Punk were to rebel against punk, we'd get Grunge.

Less of a douche, more of retard

Do people really think Grohl said this?

You idiots want any excuse to hate him I suppose

yeah but writing catchy songs is still a rare talent

Why?

Not to mention a completely subjective and arbitrary one

Punk is also just power chords and rarely a solo. Grunge has clearly defined riffs although Cobain always insisted that "alternative" rock wasn't supposed to have solos.

There's some exceptions of course like Black Flag--Rise Above which has riffs and a solo because it was the lead single from the album and needed to be more commercial, but generally speaking, punk=high speed power chords with >3:00 run time.

>80s
>hate of synthesizers

WEW
E
W

Wipers sound a lot like Nirvana, except Greg Sage wasn't quite the vocalist Kurt was and they were not mainstream popular in the slightest. Nirvana was pretty much the first band to sound like that that did get widespread mainstream attention, and that is what is important.

The specific combination of heavy drums, melodic bass, pop hooks, dissonant guitars, Lomax-era bluesman vocals and ambiguous lyrics

>>>Punk is also just power chords and rarely a solo

>hasn't listened to dead kennedys
>hasn't listened to meat puppets
>hasn't listened to bad brains
>hasn't listened to minutemen
>hasn't listened to husker du
>hasn't listened to butthole surfers

buddy where the fuck do you get off

>the vocalists don't sound exactly the same so the bands are completely different
rock fans lol

solos are the cancer that killed rock

If rock is going to have a resurgence, what do you think it will sound like? Will it be aggressive and loud like grunge?

Wow, you clearly know nothing about rock fans back then. Those guys hated the piss out of synthesizers, Queen even had disclaimers on their albums "No synths were used in the making of this record". Bands like Depeche Mode were made out to be Lucifer by rockists.

KISS's Animalize album was so-called because Paul Stanley said "Too much music these days is made with computers. I wanted to make a point about how making music by pressing buttons is no fun."

don't fucking post Matt LeBlanc here

no its going to be like this youtube.com/watch?v=l4MNvl72z6g
or this youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M

mark my words.

youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM

>Less poppy,
mudhoney was hella poppy what are you talking about

> lacked similar vocal style
well yeah they weren't EXACTLY nirvana come on dude

i'm sure that rock purists even today feel the same way.

[spoiler]you're not a rocker huney[/spoiler]

>mudhoney was hella poppy what are you talking about
*after* Nirvana, sure.
>well yeah they weren't EXACTLY nirvana come on dude
There you go. What's the problem?

you literally posted the most poppy sounding classic rock. congrats for proving his point
hello newfag

I'd be fine with this, I won't even be mad.

>cherry pick one song designed for maximum commerciality
>when DLR got into arguments over their direction at the time because he wanted to do straight rawk with only guitars and drums

>subgenres are defined based only on lyrical content
rock fans lol

>name some bands that sound like Nirvana
>except these bands that sound like Nirvana

>hasn't listened to dead kennedys
I've heard California Uber Alles, I'm well aware it had riffs because it was the lead single and had to be more commercial.

>congrats for proving his point
I guess you didn't hear the synthesizers
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/r3zw83/synthesizers-impact-heavy-metal
Please learn about music before discussing it

>subgenres are defined by BPMs
kek

Taylor Hawkins (drummer) said this

it's already having a resurgence.
punk's the best it's been in years, the diy international scene is really revving up (especially considering how in bandcamp any asshole can post their shit)

psychedelic rock and acid rock is MASSIVE todays, and a lot of it is composed in ways that is pretty different from the "blues jam with surrealist lyrics" formula of the 60s

noise rock, garage rock, kids slamming guitars is in vogue again. post-punk is integrating a lot of noise creating a more modern animal.

i mean shit, rock is doing much better than it was in the 2000s, where for every half-way decent rock album you had to wade through a mile of oh-so-pretty effete indie pop/baroque pop

personally i think rock has enormously benefited from not being in the spotlight this last decade

i do what a want

Felt is a great band and Dick Dale is a great artist. This would be pretty great.

same
felt is underrated imho
youtube.com/watch?v=jJUZf0SFDvA

Wasn't it standard practice for New Wave bands to have synths?

With a pic of Grohl in OP

Ooh good one
>subgenres are defined by BPMs
rock fans lol

For that reason, they should be shunned

For a long time I had this theory: the impossibility of a female Kurt Cobain. What he represents, leaning against the system and yet supported by consumers, there was no woman in the world that could command the masses so utterly. The music industry wouldn't let her. This thing I've been stewing about since I saw Grimes play to 20 people in 2011, and started reading her Tumblr, and then really starting feeling when "Oblivion" came out, is that Claire is the closest thing we have to a female Kurt Cobain, smart enough to understand the system but righteous enough to wall-jump away from it. But also, interestingly, what an inversion her approach is to Kurt's. His pose was anti-establishment, her pose is post-structural. He was rigorous, she is always looking outward, game for genre-experimentation and hilarity. I feel like even if I don't like her music, and I do so far, I will always feel like she's several steps ahead of me, several books ahead of me, and that makes me feel really fucking good. Anyone who gives her grief about anything can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not disputing that there's no good bands out there, problem is major record labels ain't signing 'em. When and if they'll start signing rock groups again is anyone's guess.

nigga you trollin or something how about you pop open one of their fuckin albums and then let me know come on man you dumb or just pretending to be

>>subgenres are defined by BPMs
>rock fans lol
Not really. Lots of rock bands that work in one subgenre will have songs in varying BPMs. Nirvana, for instance, did.

>subgenres are defined by how much distortion is used
rock fans lol

>i do what a want

why you little ...

>Kurt Cobain changed glam shit into authentic rock music
>next Kurt Cobain needs to change EDM into authentic rock music

How about the next Kurt Cobain changes EDM into authentic electronic music instead?

Yeah, OP is being clickbait

>authentic electronic music

Lol no shit, that's my whole point

Tell it to this guy

Different audience and they were always more poppy to begin with. When I say "rock", I meant meathead rock like AC/DC, Judas Priest, and Van Halen, and all of their fans back in the day loathed synthesizers.

Wow, this is actually pretty good news.

who gives a shit about major labels major labels have done nothing but ruin bands since the 70s

the whole point of the second half of rock's history (80s onwards) was to move away from the major labels

hell you get picked up by a major label you end up sounding like arctic monkeys or royal blood or some other overproduced teen girl in a leather jacket bullshit outfit

if you're talking about exposure, sure rock isn't as big as it used to be (although you'll always have one or two indie kingpins, like tame impala or mac demarco, or to a lesser extent bands like iceage were in their hayday) but it's basically like it was in the 80s: the mainstage stuff is pretty fuckin bland and you have to go to put in the effort of tracking down good music to see the scene.

and the scene is fucking thriving.

never
its too expensive atm and most likely will never gain them a profit.

RIP Rock n Roll

Dee Snider said there's lots of great young bands out there if you know where to look and he called out Gene Simmons for being a faggot and claiming rock is dead.

>who gives a shit about major labels major labels have done nothing but ruin bands since the 70s

>problem is major record labels ain't signing 'em
I always wondered it, why is that? Is there some strict rule that the person needs to strictly do pop/hiphop music and be a one person band to be signed on? Does the band need to have an already enormous following(which is almost impossible nowadays)?

This guy knows whats up

Too risky. Labels only care about money and aren't going to waste money and time on an artist with questionable success.

1. less marketable
2. easier to create/manufacture
3. thus easier to control

I'm not sure how much economics has to do with anything because it can't be cheap to set up Ariana Grande's stage shows.

Then you can charge more with ticket prices

Uh, yeah
Nirvana

youtube.com/watch?v=_8a47QOp10o

haha ok

both of u guys should watch this video of how major labels fuck ppl over
youtube.com/watch?v=c9Z6fzbazJY
they only want profit from their bands.

with hip hop/pop. you only need the artist and you can buy beats from producers. rest goes to the audio engineers.
edm is even easier.
with rock you need to pay 4-5 guys, hire a producer and sometimes even songwriter because the label might not be confident in them to make a hit.

There are some times when you have to question record label decisions, for example Ke$ha is a pretty good guitarist but they wouldn't let her play guitar on Animal because they claimed nobody wants guitar music anymore--it was given a purely pop production. But she played guitar on the album tour and it was fine, nobody cared one way or another.

Yeah but sometimes he does have a point...sometimes

for the same reason major labels stopped signing jazz bands in the 60s

it went out of style and something else took its place

Jazz stopped being poppy and danceable in the 50s-60s, something else had to replace it.

squirrel bait

There's lots of guitar bands out there, just not on big labels.

I know funk died out for economic reasons, it's why you don't see those big 9 piece bands like EW&F anymore.

WHEN I WAS AN ALIEN

CULTURES WEREN'T OPINIONS

I want to believe.

>authentic electronic music
>authentic
>electronic

CRANBERRY SAUCE

This is kinda what I heard as well. Artist nowadays get more money by modelling and shilling for some product instead of making their own music now.

In other words they paved the way for alternative bands to become billboard top 20 bands effectively destroying the niche music scene they were apart of. Then Kurt Cobain killed himself.

also a big reason why lots of rock bands haven't broken thru is a lack of personality that normies can't role model off.

if you're not being uber nice and have some taste of fashion like mac demarco you can forget it.
rock fans wouldn't handle somebody like a burial who just released music and doesn't do any interviews or live shows.

with rock your politics better be left wing and if any bad shit happens like the transgender ban. your band better start donating any funds to it or your fans might accuse you of being a bigot. similar to what car seat headrest does

So...like if some second wave industrial group of Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly gets big?

...okay.