Is this the best hip hop album of the decade?

Is this the best hip hop album of the decade?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZnOmDq_e8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's one of them but MBDTF is clearly the best.

yes

/thread

Bedwetter is better

you know it is

Not really, no

The fact that you'd ask that shows how miraculously starved for creativity rap is

Not that I don't like it

It's actually Moonman, seriously.

*blocks your path*

t. 17 year old white girl

"no"

This. contrarions will deny it, but it's true

No really it's just bloated, pretentious crap

Everything about it just bad. Writing is dreadful, flow is terrible and the production is pretentious bull. Then there's just stupidity like The Blacker The Berry.

yeah

bedwetter and oblivion access are shit t b h

It's not bloated, as every track has its own purpose within the general storyline being told. Not to mention that rather than try to act holier than thou/pretentious, it takes a more humble approach with some very interesting perspectives offered as well.

I love the writing because it display's Kendrick's ability to hide various meaning behind very simple words. You, and everyone that took the "TPAB is shitty BLM album" meme seriously two years back, probably taking everything on a surface level may be a testament to that.

There's a very wide variety of flows present on the album thanks to Kendrick's technical ability, which all help portray the various different characters so it's not just technicality for technicality's sake. But yeah one isn't stuck listening to the same flow for the entire album like with a lot of hip hop.

Production wise the album's very sophisticated due to the sheer amount of filters each individual part has. This is particularly innovative for the instrumentals because most of the instrumentals are actual real instruments being played which then individually get a certain set of effects put to them afterward that goes beyond amplified effects and overdubbing. It's almost like an electroacoustic music inspired approach that way. Otherwise there's nothing pretentious about the production. Sure you got busy ass tracks like "u", or a highly polyrhythmic track like Hood Politics, but there's nothing pretentious about those they are being ambitious. They are also backed with relatively simpler approaches like King Kunta and Alright.

The Blacker The Berry is a fantastic track because it's one of the handful of tracks in recent times that also has the balls to call out black people who might get too radical/extreme in their attempt to be some kind of justice supporter (basically talking about why some SJW/BLM types turn into awful people and why it's a bad idea.)

TPAB is for sure a Hip Hop AOTD contender.

Also, if that previous post hasn't made it obvious, this is my pick as well.

Though my favorite track this decade is still Uneven Compromise by Lil Ugly Mane.

>It's not bloated, as every track has its own purpose within the general storyline being told.
I used "bloated" as a synonym for "pretentious"

The songs have a reason for being there. I guess. The reasons being so juvenile and poorly thought out you can barely make out what the message is supposed to be, but I digress.

>I love the writing because it display's Kendrick's ability to hide various meaning behind very simple words.
Yeah there's what you would call "metaphors" there but it's really hamfisted, awkward and stupid. eg. the "yams" thing on King Kunta

>You, and everyone that took the "TPAB is shitty BLM album" meme seriously two years back
It's a shitty BLM album as an aside.

With those opinions aside, it's just pretentious crap. What he's saying is just so idiotic and unfocused you can barely tell what his point is supposed to be. Great thing about being ambiguous though is that you're excempt from saying anything concrete, so nobody can really argue what you're saying.

>Otherwise there's nothing pretentious about the production.
It insists upon itself, Lois.

It tries to shove in your face that the production is the most special thing but it's just tacky garbo. The producers didn't buy what they were doing (maybe because the album is crap) and they know it. Production on the previous 2 albums was in a similar vein and it was sensational.

>it's one of the handful of tracks in recent times that also has the balls to call out black people who might get too radical/extreme
The "profound statement" about black people in that song is that they should stop gangingbanging less because "bad things happen to black people"

If this is a profound cultural statement then society really is in the gutter.

I'm not trying to be a dick because you don't have my opinion but it really does piss me off how bad this album is. Glad that you get enjoyment out of it anyways.

man i hadn't seen so many walls of text on Sup Forums in quite a while

Sorry for having an opinion more verbose than a vacuous meme insult like "t. nu-male", I guess

nigga get on hemingway asap lmaoo

Why don't you actually say WHAT makes it poorly thought out and juvenile? I think some of relationships mentioned on the record imply a great deal of knowledge from Kendrick

What makes it awkward? Everything rhymes and tends to have a much simpler meaning on top of the more in-depth stuff e.g. The Yams.

There's nothing BLM esque on the majority of the album. It's not my fault you can't follow what's pretty easy to follow stuff between themes that are more personal and those about low income areas.

Most of the complexities of the production aren't even in your face though. U and Hood Politics are, but I won't call classical music in your face pretentious either for having polyphony/polymetre. But otherwise a lot of it is filters based as I said.

Blacker The Berry has nothing to do with gangbanging, but to talk about why people shouldn't go down Malcom X's route.

Not only have you not really said much about the album, just calling everything pretentious/bad/juvenile without backing anything for it, but the things you do describe like Blacker The Berry's themes are objectively false. How someone can write so much and say so little...

Bedwetter is garbage but I'll fight you over Oblivion Access

good to see the kendrick drones are logged into the net hijacking threads again with their audiobook album

anyways Mista Thug Isolation is one of the best rap projects of the last 5 years easily. The last 10 years it's top 20 for sure but I'm too lazy to decide what number it'd be.

people who are comparing Mista Thug Isolation to TPAB don't understand albums as a medium -- they are very different rap albums despite both being rap albums. it did so much to preserve southern rap and influenced tons of other releases that followed once it got some shine

also Trick Dice would be up there too if Lyle Ogleman and Nickelus F didn't autistically divide the tracks into "SIDE A" and "SIDE B" but luckily it's consistently good enough that it doesnt matter

Yeah that was some dumb shit
First thing I did was get the split track version. That album's underrated as hell though, definitely AOTY 2015 if nothing else

I like Ugly, but he just doesn't have the variety in flow and delivery that better rappers do. Not only that, Blvcklvnd Rvdiv 66.6 did it before MTI. If you can appreciate the layering of instrumentals on a track like Throw Em Gunz but not do it for a Kendrick track like U just makes you hypocritical.

sorry playa I was being too harsh on TPAB based on the fans ITT. it does have a lot of strong production but it also had a stacked engineering team (including Knx) and an A&R team to recruit them

but MTI was in-house production & did a lot of cool shit that breathed life into that near and dear Memphis sounding bullshit most ppl forgot about w/ three 6, lil noid, tommy wright, etc

if you subtract the smoothbrain "auhhh cultural appropriation! please put my food through a processor so i dont choke to death cause im useless" argument, MTI is even more wild cause it came from a white kid from virginia that just really liked rap music

plus he had no comprehensive rap releases prior to that anywhere near that level, just some screwy beats+rhymes. to not place the ugly man in top 10 of the last few years u must be the very center of a human opinion centipede

Tpab had as many people as the population of China working on that album and the sound of it is forgettable now. To give only Kendrick respect for it is disrespectful to others. LUM did it by himself all of it and hia sounds is still "new"

No, But it's Damn close .

That's valid. It truly is amazing that LUM did almost everything for his records. I definitely do agree that a record like TPAB, or any Kendrick record is definitely not just Kendrick especially considering how much Kendrick asks of his producers. Here's a video actually making fun of that

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZnOmDq_e8

I don't think TPAB production is "forgettable" though. Based on how it's ratings on sites like RYM started below GKMC to now being above it, I don't think it's forgettable for many. But then that's strictly an opinion based thing. At the very least it's still innovative due to its different approach towards syncretism of real instruments and electronic effects.