Need help asap... How hard is it to learn stick shift...

Need help asap... How hard is it to learn stick shift? I applied to a job and got accepted for an interview but the requirement was to know how to drive a stick shift car.

Can I learn in 3 days?

I've been driving automatic for 5 years no problems or accidents

you won't be good in 3 days but you'll be not shitty. practice starting on hills. practice starting without stalling. shifting is easy.

Yes, get a car and just practice taking off from a stop on a flat surface. Once you master that practice starting on an incline. If you can get those two down you'll be all set. Shifting if easy like the other user said. Mastering clutch is the hard part.

Depends. Whats the job?

UPS driver
But I have a job lined up... No time to actually buy a whole car and learn with it... I was thinking a driving school or something and some youtube vids

amerifags. haha. its all about practice. master the clutch and you will master shifting engine!

I learned with a 10 speed semi tractor, and it took me a few days before I was anywhere near comfortable. That said a regular car is WAY easier and assuming you have something showing you how to do it, I'd guess it'll only take a few hours. The concept really isn't that complicated and once you get it, it'll be pretty fun.

Holy shit, why would you take a job as a UPS driver if you can't drive stick? Unless there's someone that's going to train, which it sounds like there won't be, you're fucked

most of the world knows how to drive stick so i guess you could learn it too, it is not rocket surgery after all

Bullshit, you obviously have never driven a stick, driving on the road is the really tricky part, a fucking tractor, like in the middle of a field or on a farm? You're a fucking retard!

You can learn to drive stick in 5 minutes. With 3 days practice you should be passingly good at it. I learned when I worked at a car dealer as a porter. When I said I couldnt drive stick the manager took me in one of the used cars on the lot and made me drive to go get parts.

Maybe 5 minutes, if even, in the parking lot to actually understand it. Then I drove to the parts place 20ish minutes away and 20 minutes back. I stalled out in traffic 3 times going, none on the way back. Ill be honest though, hills still fuck with me and I am not great at rev matching on downshifts, but I also only drive stick once every few months/a year when we visit my brother in law

This.

Don't they actually require you to have a manual licence in the USA? Do they actually teach you automatic and then pass a test in that and give you a licence that allows you to drive a manual "if you feel you can"?

I seriously doubt you'd be competent in 3 days of lessons...just the coordination needed etc. is entirely different. Maybe 3 days if you were driving all day on those 3 days...but not in the typical one hour lessons. You'd be a menace.

See if you can find a rental car that is still. You cant learn the clutch from a video, and trucks generally dont have synchronized gears either which makes them harder to downshift.

>depress clutch to turn on
>hold brake
>let clutch out slowly until you start feeling the engine slow and return the clutch to the floor
>remember this spot (friction zone)
>feather throttle while slowly moving out clutch until you get to the zone and give it a little more if you keep killing it
>if it jumps not enough gas too fast on clutch

Semi trucks are refereed to as tractors...as in tractor trailer.

>Don't they actually require you to have a manual licence in the USA? Do they actually teach you automatic and then pass a test in that and give you a licence that allows you to drive a manual "if you feel you can"?
It's somewhat complicated in that larger vehicles require a Commercial Driver's License (CDL), the training for which includes larger, manual shift vehicles. But not all delivery/courier driving jobs require CDL for whatever reason. I'm rather surprised if UPS doesn't.

Find a patient friend with a manual transmission and beg to practice. This requires you to feel what you and the car are doing and you can't get that from a video.

Driven automatic my entire life, went to another country and was forced to drive stick. Stalled few times, then got the hang of it real quick. I assume video games are to thank for that but it wasnt too hard for me.

How is that hard to believe? You do know there are schools/companies/labor unions that teach people how to drive 10 speeds and other tractor trailers right? And no shit driving a tractor in traffic is harder, but we're talking about a CAR here. What's so hard about driving a regular car in traffic, where you only have to worry about shifting once and nothing attached to it?

they don't. A CDL will specify if you can not drive stick though

If you can find a car to practice with you'll be fine. You'll still a few times, and you'll need to get used to hill starts, but soon it becomes second nature.

I'm with this guy. Give it an hour or two and you're good to go. From there on it will become gradually more automatic. Just remember to always switch back to the second gear when you need to turn left or right (given there's a corner). Also, random tip: driving stick means you can 'brake' by going in a lower gear

There is no such things as an automatic or manual license in the US. Our licenses go by weight, not features. With a standard license (called a class C) you can drive anything up to 9,999Lbs as long as it is under 26 feet long and doesnt have air brakes.

>Can I learn in 3 days?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHA

>lbs
>feet
Use the metric system like all non-idiots in the world, faggot.

Its hilarious how most Amerifats can’t actually drive a motor vehicle

Signed,
Everyone on Earth

> driving on the road is the really tricky par
No it isn't, shithead. OP will never get the handle of stopping at red lights or intersections.
And forget trying to drive stopped on a hill. Fuck you.

We have the best racing on the planet, Eurofag. Enjoy talking in a funny accent.

I learned in 1 hour when I was 13 your good my boi don't listen to these europoors.

Yeah you can learn it in a few hours.

metric is only useful for growing and selling weed

it's shit for everything else

You are thinking of a Class A CDL license which is what you need to drive semi trucks over 50,000Lbs. You can get a Class C CDL by going to the DMV and taking a written test if you already have a normal license. A Class C license means you can drive anything with air brakes as long as your loaded weight doesnt exceed 49,999 Lbs

FFS...I've heard the test was a piece of piss...round the block and park up without hitting anything and you're good...that's laughable enough, but to then let you loose on a manual on that basis esp. if it requires rev matching, is just lunacy.

Dude, hillclimb acceleration or whatever it's called in english, isn't hard at all.

Enlighten me as to this best racing on the planet.
Nascar? Driving in a circle 700 times.

Not a Eurofag btw

It's stupid easy OP

This is a JOB where you DRIVE STICK the whole time. They want experienced people. I wouldn't want some faggot on the job who might fuck everything up because he can't drive a vehicle.

Says the guy writing in English...

bullshit
it's hard enough as an experienced driver, especially in traffic. Fuck you, faggot.
Fuck all of you trying to make this shit sound easy for someone who's never done it.

nvm didn't see you don't have a car to practice w/ you're boned

The only people who use the metric system are drug dealers

Oh really? What shit-tier country do you come from?

Op is a liar. Ups requires 2+ years in the watehouse before you are eligible for deliveries

What? I sound like some guy from Hollywood. You sound like someone pitifully asking for directions.

off-grid hermit detected

how manny time you have to learn each day?

Yet the united states still has more power and influence than anyone

You can learn in 3 hours.
The concepts is pretty simple.
If you live in a very hilly area, it may become more difficult.

Do you have access to a stick drive car now? Getting a feel for the biting point, and stall, and when to change gears, and how the car reacts if you're in the wrong gear, will be hugely beneficial.

I am not shitting you. Seriously, what's so hard about it? You push your fucking gas pedal, let your clutch pedal slowly in the airand BAM, you're rolling. You're telling me you can't even manage that? You can even do it with your fucking handbrake, which makes it even easier. Jesus

>a UPS truck
Actually, add on the job stress and you have a recipe for disaster.

protip: do what this user said, you need real practise

My driving test when I was 16 included pulling out of a parking space in a large parking lot, making 4 right turns onto side streets, backing up into the same parking spot, making a 3 point turn in the row, and pulling into the parking spot again.

In the US you actually have to try and find a manual.

It's a lot trickier than you're letting on. You've had years of experience. OP doesn't understand that subtle shit like the handbrake.

Average viewing figures for NASCAR 8million

Average viewing figures for F1 400million

Maybe stop talking?

it's no t something you learn in 2 or 3 days, its with practice like automatic it needs practice.
Also I know people ho has years shifting and they suck at it.

So what you are saying is the metric system was designed for children and retards to understand?

Fair enough, but it's part of the exam in my country. Everybody can do it.

Weinstein Detected

What transmission do UPS trucks even use? I mean it can't be THAT hard, right?

>Formula One (also Formula 1 or F1 and officially the FIA Formula One World Championship) is the highest class of single-seat auto racing that is sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)
>Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile

that sounds gay

Since America is like 80% retard, I'd say yes

hahahahahaha, for fucking 50 years and those 50 years you have russia in the same weight.
So you can talk about total power since 1990 to nowdays, its the same time all the world are fucked by your country.
REAL empires like roman or british empire ruled the world more than 100 years, you only have an atomic bomb.

UK has more soft influence than the US.
A better come back would be, how long does it take your car to get from 0-60.
You know. Miles per hour, as in miles since every car uses MPH.

/thread

Only if you are union. UPS and FedEx have been using non-union sub contractors as delivery drivers for years. If you ever ask a FedEx driver to see his ID 99% of the time it will say FedEx, his name, and under it "vendor" With UPS its a 50/50 shot as they still use a lot of their own drivers and trucks

3 what? hours each day?

Everyone can do it, but not right before working a new job with a bigass truck where you have to drive stick.

lol faggot

3 manny time

heheh Jessica
c'mere ya got really nice apples

true

>being this retarded

Yeah? What size engine has your car got?

Stick. It's a big fucking truck. You have to know what the fuck you're doing. You could slide down a fucking hill if it's snowing.

Typical driving course in majority of european countries lasts 20-30 hours.

That gives 20-30 hours of practice to get you from "don't know what steering wheel is" to "can safely drive a car on a street in a city". With manual gear box.

Why the hell would you need more than few hours just to get used to the stick?

>Its hilarious how most Amerifats can’t actually drive a motor vehicle
I mean, do you realize how dumb you sound? A higher percentage of Americans own and drive cars than any other country.

Its easy, but you're gonna have to practice.

can you try and get your hands on a hire car tha's manual for a day and spend that day in a car park destroying someone elses clutch?

Because if you've told your new employer you can drive manual, prepare to look like a bit of a fucking retard in front of them.

He asked how hard is it to learn to drive stick.
> Driving stick can be taught pretty well pretty quickly.
> Book a 3 hour lesson from a driving instructor and you're set
He didn't ask me to comment on his shit choice of job or wellness levels.
Here USP trucks don't even have A/C because they pay Mercedes $1,000 per truck to take it out to jew the driver into not wasting fuel by not being a sweaty ape when he arrives to drop off a parcel.
to answer the point.
> You can learn in 3 hours.

Your face sounds gay

F1 is relegated to random channels at 3am in the US. NASCAR is the most watched sport in the US and regularly sells 100,000 seats at races every other Sunday.

America hates F1 so much we made a shitty clone called Indy Car which no one watches either

automatic is for pussies
that shit wears out and you're fucked

I did UPS seasonal temp delivery last holiday season - even "The Moose", the largest brown delivery truck, is under 26,000lbs gvwr, so no CDL required.
Don't expect to have a job when January rolls around, no matter what the recruiter or supervisor says.

...if you are going to insult someone, you should at least not look like a retard in the process. Reread the posts. Your comment makes no sense

>You can learn in 3 hours.

You couldn't do the job, faggot. You'd probably get struck in traffic because you're fucking around with the gears.

I know they're rare over there...bunch of videos on YouTube of valets on dashcams not having a clue or carjackers being foiled by one.

My favourite story was a guy who was unloading his car in several trips, and left the keys in the ignition and came out to see some 16 year old kid trying to steal it. Went back indoors to call the police and they arrived 10 minutes later and the car was still there and he'd had the wipers on and indicators (blinkers) and never moved an inch. He clearly had no idea what a manual even was...

Or anothet video of a teen kid at a car dealership who assures his boss he can drive manual and comes up with ridiculous excuses as to why he's not going anywhere e.g. "ah...it's a dynamic sport manual, that's why". (It was a Ford Fiesta ST)

Where is le automobile-ack ackack
I need to drink mah perrieh
faggot you need some good fried food and a Bud to watch that shit

I bought a stick and learned it well enough to work my delivery job right after I got it, just calm down and drive it you have more than enough time op

>clone
>Indy Car
lol

Anyway, how does america relegating F1 to random channels and it not being popular there make it not the best racing sport? You're the same dip shits that have a "world series" composed of teams from America.

Oh excuse me for not wanting to move my leg and arm every fucking 2 seconds. I'd rather just lay back and relax

>buy a whole car
How much of a car can you buy for now?

Yeah I know it's stick, I mean is it 10sp, 7sp, 5sp, etc

8 years in warehouse here last time i checked

The thrust and force are part of driving, much like other things in life.
And once you're out on the highway, you don't have to shift.

>I'd rather just lay back and relax
Exactly. You're a pussy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to take the easy and lazy option, it's the American way.

You haven’t a clue what’s involved have you?
Maybe the exercise would be beneficial.