Steely Dan's Walter Becker dead at 67
cnn.com/2017/09/03/entertainment/walter-becker-obituary/index.html

RIP to one major dude.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5fNVzxq81ns
youtube.com/watch?v=qqt2zXCW2ho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Another pretentious classically trained arse wank bites the dust

And for some reason, you think I should be sad?

You do realise they made rock music to show how easy it was, they are failed classically educated musicians, so they took the advantage of you all for money and you fucking fell for it!

You must be fun to talk to

At least I don't listen to Steely fucking Dan. lol

That's interesting considering their music is superb.

Sticky when

Only a fool would say that.

Should've been Donald Fagen, the wife beater.

I don't listen to Steely Dan records anymore. Their music is dad rock tier, also.

RIP the third best guitar player of Steely Dan.

And you will always remain a poor unknown talentless hack that nobody will care about while millions of Steely Dan fans around the world mourn the passing of a Class A musician. Sucks to be you user!

You don't deserve to listen to Steely Dan!
They're much to advance for you! Go back to your Death Grips or Taylor Swift or whatever you normie plebs on Sup Forums listen to. Leave Steely Dan to the PATRICIANS!

Favorite album/song?

ATTENTION MODS/ADMINISTRATORS OF Sup Forums: YOU'VE GOT YOUR WORK CUT OUT FOR YOU!

Do you think Donald Fagan and his ex went down to the island of Hispanola last winter to get a Haitian Divorce?

Why do people throw around the term "Dad Rock" like it's a bad thing? Good music is good music, no matter what! And Steely Dan were a great band! I'm glad I got to see them ten years ago!

This is indeed sad news for me! All my Steely Dan albums are on vinyl, so I'll have to see if my turntable still works so I can listen to them tonight!

R.I.P Walter Becker! Get along, Kid Charlamaigne!

>Favorite album/song?
Favorite album would either be Can't Buy a Thrill or Katy Lied. Favorite song is Sign in Stranger.

Can't Buy a Thrill is one of their most commercial and accessible albums, but a damn fine debut, nonetheless. Back when it first came out and my mom heard Do It Again, she thought Donald Fagen was black. Must've been the caribbean rhythms. I really don't have a particular favorite since I don't believe that SD ever put out a bad album, but for some strange reason I tend to gravitate towards Aja. (Must be the New Yorker in me) Favorite song would probably be When Josie Comes Home, followed by Deacon Blues, but as I get older and reel in the years, I find myself listening to Hey, 19, and Babylon Sisters.

Holy fucking shit I still cry whenever I hear Dirty Work and the song isn't even that sad...

Nice.

>Jazz pop, soft rock
>Patrician
Come on. I'm perfectly aware that it's a meaningless word at this point, even though they've had some of the most talented musicians in the band over the years.

Dirty Work is a masterpiece quite frankly.

Welcome to Sup Forums where posters like to throw out words like "Pleb", "Patrician", and "Contrarian" without a second thought.

At least we agree about the talented musicians that jammed with Steely Dan, though.

There's really nothing to disagree about, the songwriting talent and technical proficiency of their bands members was obvious.

I know most of Sup Forums doesn't give a shit which is why I feel fit to bump this thread, but Steely Dan is my favorite band of all time, and the passing of Walter Becker deserves a proper send-off. His gravestone need only read "co-writer of Aja" and he has nothing else in his life left to prove. I'm going to give my favorite Steely Dan song in tribute to becker and get hammered tonight by myself listening to his discography in his honor. RIP to this major dude with more than half a heart

youtube.com/watch?v=5fNVzxq81ns

youtube.com/watch?v=qqt2zXCW2ho
rip walter
im so glad my dad introduced me to your music and helped me see you live twice. best shows of my life

Have you ever heard The Minutemen's cover of Dr. Wu?

It was that particular version of the song that got me into Steely Dan in the first place, believe it or not.

Walter Becker: Continue my legacy, my son

Mac DeMarco: Yes Father

Audiophiles everywhere are on suicide watch

The band that i listen to the most by an absolute mile. First it was the catchy hits and royal scam, but then i kept listening and listening and then it all clicked. Their whole discography is amazing. Their live show bootlegs are the best sounding. Even their outtakes are better than most.

For me, it's not just his guitar work, but the bass lines he wrote and played (in collaboration with Chuck Rainey) that stand out. He loosened up Fagen's jazzier side with a little funked up reggae. And of course, after you fall into the groove, you hear the wonderfully subversive, bitingly ironic and ultimately hilarious lyrics.

RIP Walter Becker. No static at all.