What is it about Radiohead that just blows people away?

>RYM says they're the greatest of all time
>Number one on p4k's people's list
>Fantano worships them
>Every single Sup Forumstant has them in their chart

I don't understand. I have their albums, and I've given them several listens over the years. But they're just ok. They're not the greatest music group of all time, they're mediocre even when compared to the rest of the music the Sup Forums essentials chart gives, as there are artists who do far more interesting things with music even on there.

Please explain to me in length why they are so highly venerated, and what is it about them that makes you love them so. And don't say it's an ironic meme because Radiohead fans get legitamitely butthurt whenever I say these things about their band. Help me understand what it is about Radiohead that makes them so good, Sup Forums, I'm losing my sanity over this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_a8f24UJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Marketing

greatest band of all time desu senpai

So it works just like Apple, nice

You either get them or you don't

You just don't get it.

They're the U2 of our generation

because steew is heavieh than feathels

So music is a riddle?

Toms use of vocals as an instrument and ther production is amazing

but steel is heavier than feathers

You don't like a thing a lot of people like. Your taste isn't objective

I remember coming to this board a lot in 2013 and if you guys weren’t talking about Yeezus getting a 9.5 you were all circle jerking over Kid A, what the fuck happened

There's still circle jerking over Kid A and Radiohead in general, threads like these are an exception

The only reason I have for this is that listeners must have had some amazing experience while listening to their music. I don't get it either OP.

I honestly didn't like music until I heard Everything in Its Right Place. Their music is hauntingly beautiful in a unique way. Don't know what else to say.

It's funny how noobody brings up how fucking autistic the band it lol.
Listen to their lyrics or the way the act up on stage.
Tom acts like a total mong in interviews, but people defend him by saying that he "does it on purpose", Nah he's just fukin tistic. Apperently only two of the members are not autistic.

That wasn't the question. The question was why the band are so popular and if somebody could explain, he never said that his opinion is impeccable

So?

If they have gathered such critical acclaim from every single place and person maybe YOU are the one who are supposed to tell us why they are just okay?

"That wasn't the question.." was directed to you.

this lol

It's ust funny that everbody bums an autistic band because they think they're "unique and different"

>think they're pretty good but not mind blowing

I'm starting to think i need to smoke weed or something to "get" how ~~~hardcore~~~ they are
More like pink Floyd

>listeners must have had some amazing experience while listening to their music

I think this is why a lot of albums get overrated here in general, people can't separate their personal memories from the music itself.

The band is popular because a lot of people like them. I know he never said that he was objectively right but the amount that he enjoys Radiohead isn't the same as other people. I don't like Joy Division, but I don't have a problem with other people liking them.

>>RYM says they're the greatest of all time
it's actually most rated

Yes. Very funny.
Stop posting please

they're actually a really good band now that i think about it

Thom Yorke looks over 400 years old and he's only like 48

Nostalgia, I listend to the Bends a lot as a kid, and now even though I know it isn't even that good. It just manages to whisk me away to that 7 year old feel everytime I listen to it, or any othet shit I was listening to at the time.

my greatest ever music listening experience was listening to bjork - debut for the first time and that's one of my least favourite bjork albums desu

>band is very popular, have gathered critical acclaim and hundered of thousands of sentences describing exactly why that is have been written
>user starts thread where he asks WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE BAND?

if you feel like you're the odd one out, maybe the burden of explaining is upon your own shoulders?

It is the very picture of generic. Their music isn't very memorable, I forget what I just heard five minutes after hearing it. The guitar and drum work is functional, and Thom has a nice voice, but perhaps the main selling point, the electronic fusion is the highlight of the music.

However, many artists have done this as well, and have done it better. Animal Collective, Ratatat, Strange Talk, Breton, Low Roar, Can, Gorillaz, Windir and Porcupine Trees to name a few.

They're outclassed at every turn, and yet people flock to them instead of better artists, and so far I have not received an answer as to why beyond "iz gud yo"

But I remember their music user

>Their music isn't very memorable
but it is memorable
i have very fond memories of their music

because they made it into the mainstream while most other Sup Forumscore artists have not

Radiohead is the Christopher Nolan of music. It's popular because it makes dumb people feel like they're smart.

Very true, lol

buy a guitar and try to play any OKC song properly. then come back here

Because knowing how to play a guitar totally changes how the music sounds...

Holy fuck user you're right

You should learn how to play guitar and sing your replies, then you'd be the Radiohead of mu

Once again, doesn't define my taste in music...

they do several simple things all at once that amounts to something pretty interesting. No other pop or normie artist does music like this. Its the perfect bridge between accessible and experimental. Its the perfect door opener for people just discovering Sup Forums or a broad scope of music. And a lot of the time people really connect with their albums because it was the first thing of substance they heard. I personally love them because of how consistent and devoted to the music they are.They are making music they like to make and since gaining mainstream success on the internet, aren't afraid to try something or commit, which makes new artists stuff suck most of the time while they're trying to build their fan base

It would make you be less of a faggot though.....

I've never met a Radiohead fan

maybe it's not so obvious but if you are into any instrument/prod you become less ignorant

i know some people in real life and noone heard about Radiohead (one man knows Creep). They aren't very popular in my cunt desu

they're ok. i think Kid A is their only good album. they're definitely extremely overrated

what is popular in your cunt?

boring music for boring people

this. ppl who think OKC or In Rainbows are masterpieces are basically in their first week of music. The Bends is probably the most overrated album in the world

They're constantly evolving. Every couple years they have new versions and remixes. Most bands just play the same set live while Radiohead tries out new things. They have been consistently since the early '90s

They're also very professional.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_a8f24UJI

To me it's about how they convey emotion. Especially on OKC, Kid A and Amnesiac Thom's sad as fuck singing voice and lyrics together with the beautiful yet ominous music create an atmosphere that is so full of sorrow and desperation that it's just magnificent. I don't know how the fuck they do it but they just succeed at it. Also most of their stuff is weirdly catchy, in a way that it gets stuck in your head despite being pretty experimental at times.

This is the Christopher Nolan of Sup Forums posts

>music is generic
which genre, exactly?
>I forget what I heard just five minutes after hearing it
maybe you weren't paying close attention to the music. most plebs just have music on in the background while they work out or apply make up
>guitar and drum work is functional
debatable, but Jonny Greenwood is a unique and diverse guitarist
>the main selling point
very subjective

>Animal Collective, Ratatat, Strange Talk, Breton, Low Roar, Can, Gorillaz, Windir and Porcupine Trees to name a few.

>they're outclassed at every turn
none of the bands you mentioned combine ALL the elements that Radiohead do so well.
>so far I have not received an answer as to why beyond "iz gud yo"
read the rest of this thread ffs

few bands can make such amazing albums as okc, kid a, amnesiac, in rainbows and good albums like the bends and amsp
their discography is gold and they have continued to make good music for 20 years

What walks on 10 legs during the day and makes mediocre music during the night?

THIS
you perfectly summarized my experience with radiohead, theyre probably the reason i discovered Sup Forums

get =/= like
theres nothing to get about music
same goes for trout mask cancer

that album is great though

Wow Op, you just found out that people have opinions!
2/10
Try harder

It's an emotional thing, not intellectual.
Some people can relate to the topics Thom Yorke sings about and the pace of the music, some don't.

i feel like that has to do more with what kind of music they subconsciously enjoy listening to rather than them being on a higher level of understanding and relating to the music.
If you don't like something on the first listen, then you don't like it. If you actually start to "like" something the more you listen to it, then you're just getting more comfortable with the familiarity of it and are happy that you're in the group

If it really is an emotional thing then people should stop using the word "get". Its snarky and pretentious.

My thoughts exactly OP. I thought I was going crazy. They just seem like a generic mediocre indie/britpop from the late 90s/early 2000s, and their 'experimental' tracks are nothing out of the norm for modern bands.
If you made me listen to OK Computer without any previous context, I would just brush it off as another generic album.

theres nothing youre missing out on, either you like them or you dont.
personally i like them because their music is generally really pleasant, memorable, catchy, well produced (bar a couple albums), and the lyrics are just vague enough that they cant be corny to me, while having lots of very emotional vocal delivery

>likes Radiohead
>calls others pleb

Radiohead is the perfect pseudointellectual indie nerd virgin band. They don't sing about relationships, they're a rock band "but with electronics," they're relentlessly sad, and their subject matter is vaguely edgy.

Fantano really doesn't worship them

>The band is popular because a lot of people like them
>the band is popular because the band is popular

Most of their fans are depressed middle class white kids who listened to rock music exclusively. They were ignorant of IDM, krautrock and neoclassical music, so to hear a band that sung with a vocoder or added a bit of dissonance to their music was mindblowing.

they're the hipster version of coldplay that's all