So which is worse - rockism or poptimism?

So which is worse - rockism or poptimism?

black people making music

Poptimism is far worse because it just legitimizes apathy and droning corporate publications.
Rockism legitimizes SOME independent thought.

Poptimism is mindlessly defending everything because you're afraid of being called a rockist, so that

Rockism is mindlessly hating everything because you're afraid of being called a poptist, so that

rockism has some problems with refusing to give legitimacy to electronic genres but it still allows criticism against rock along with the considerable degree of freedom music made with physical instruments provides
poptimism is effectively people complaining about le wrong generation kids cause they're so contrarian they want to be contrary to the contrarians. there hasn't been a good album by a mainsteam pop artist in the last decade at least, and all of those mainstream pop artists are just singers that take songs off their writers.

This dude knows what's up

Rockism has always been a thing in music journalism, way before poptimism, so no.

Rockism
>hurr I'm only going to consume music in one form and dismiss everything else

There is literally nothing wrong with producer driven music you retard.

Poptimism, not because pop music cant be good, but because publications use it as an excuse to report inconsequential pop culture bullshit for profit instead of actual music. And pop music that's actually innovative or creative is largely ignored because there's no point for publications to positively review something when it's not socially relevant enough to get them clicks.

Poptimism in theory isn't a horrible way to lool at music on an individual level, but publications use it as an excuse to normalize clickbait and maximize profit while attempting to reach the broadest amount of people, exchanging a dedicated following for people who live their lives on Twitter.

both are bad. poptimism is worse.

rockists are a bunch of outdated farts
poptimists are waifufags and girls

Poptimism is objectively worse. Rockism is dumb but at least it doesn't glorify industry hacks who don't know how to write music.
You're ignoring the fact that poptimism is just as narrow-minded as rockism. Most poptimists only listen to modern top 40 pop and think all unpopular/old music is trash.

Totally this.

Just look at these absurd positive reviews of Despacito, not a single negative one. How can someone do music reviewing as a profession and unironically praise such a shitty song to heavens?

/thread

Pop isn't a genre. Pop is merely a abbreviation of the word "popular", and has featured everything from today's electro dance to Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I bet you're one of those fags who says electronic isn't a genre.

Words can have multiple meanings. Pop can mean both a genre or that other thing you said.

Only poptimists think rockism is worse. Rockism has been dead for many years whereas poptimism is a dominating force that becomes more powerful everyday. It seems like every week we get some insipid "thinkpiece" about how the latest popstar is a total genius who should be ranked alongside the greatest artists of all time. If you think rockism is the worst then you need to stop living under a rock. It's 2017, not 1987.

i never said there was anything wrong with producer-driven music you autist, i said i had a problem with refusing to give legitimacy to electronic music since that's pretty much all producer driven music.

autism

Not in this context

Then rockism would be a subset of poptimism as well since rock is also popular music and poptimism would be a counter to classical and folk music endorsement? No, I think you've missed the context.

Classicism

Worse than Rockism but not as bad as Poptism

Hmm maybe

These

Pop was derived from popular, but that doesn't mean it has to carry the same meaning. I have never seen the word used to refer to a popular genre without being affixed to that genre (e.g. pop-rock, jazz-pop).

I could probably be called a rockist because I value compositional skill over all other musical talents (production and performance) but I generally prefer classical and jazz, which are no longer popular genres, to rock. So I see where rockists are coming from but it's funny they would feel that way considering their genre's own compositional merits.

>considering their genre's own compositional merits.
This. It's still iv IV I V at the end of the day.

It is Unless you think string is a genre too.

>People don't like my rap because of bias :((
People don't like rap because it's shit.

Rockism's pretty stupid, but Poptism is just "do the opposite of what Rockist does" which is even stupider

*It isn't

You're all fucking idiots for picking sides.

LOL RELEVANT XKCD JEJEJEJ

Unless you only listen to one genre you'd not be a rockist or poptimist, or both, maybe stop being so narrow-minded.

I just wanted to refer you to xkcd that was already posted in this thread before someone did.

I don't read threads, fuck that

>I wanted to chimp out and strawman a valid point before someone made it in a reasonable manner
This is a new and exciting level of reddit

White edgy kids

Retard
>inb4 ad hominem
Not everyone's trying to have a debate here.

>ur dum
Not everyone here is a paste licker.

disco and hip hop are rock music, and the music that r&b refers to now is also rock music

user, I don't even...

dude....

Rock is literally white r&b

British rock bands in the 60s were still being called r&b

/thread

The origins of a word don't have to determine it's connotation or denotation

Poptimism. Rockists never supported artists based on their views and race of the artists. Poptimists will support trash like Beyonce literally just because they're "woke", they all support the capitalistic music industry

People misunderstand both words. Rockism does not mean "likes rock music and hates pop music" and poptimism does not mean "likes pop music and hates rock music." Both have to do more with how you assess listening to music rather than what music you are actually listening to.

Rockism is worse by a very very significant margin. Some poptimists can take it a little too far but at least poptimism supports free thought over the arbitrary and convoluted bullshit that rockists believe.

Is that supposed to be rockism for classical fans?
Lol stay mad brainlets

both are stupid. good music is good music.

still the beat answer in this thread desu

Autism

I agree that people misunderstand the words. As I see it, though, "rockism" allows people to structure their consumption of music and have standards for themselves, while "poptimism" is the rejection of standards. Even if standards are imperfect and arbitrary, I think their absence is much worse, so poptimism is worse.

t. outdated waifufag fart

But that's the target demo of shitty rap music.

Rockism is mostly limited to annoying high school kids in the 'lewronggeneration' phase of their music interest. Not a big deal.

Poptimisim is a literal cancer on the music industry (or at least the journalistic side).

This is accurate. Excellent pop music has been well-respected since the 60's, and the shitty pop acts have washed out over time as they deserve to be. There was never any reason to introduce 'poptimism' other than for shitty journalists to find an excuse to start giving good reviews to literal trash musicians.

>Rocktism