I'm not sure how I should feel knowing that after death there's nothing. Just nothing, like before you were born...

I'm not sure how I should feel knowing that after death there's nothing. Just nothing, like before you were born. Anyone else struggle with this? How did you find solace?

>inb4 nihilists shit up the thread

Other urls found in this thread:

horizonresearch.org/Uploads/Journal_Resuscitation__2_.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=tHcZc-JJEFw
broadjam.com/artists/songs.php?artistID=14702&mediaID=460764
youtube.com/watch?v=Z78_rAg4Ldg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Try not to think about it.

And? Who cares!

Live your fucking life as a good person and enjoy the ride.

> How did you find solace?

That is the solace...

TBH it's comforting knowing that once you're dead it's all done and you dont have to deal with anything anymore.

I know that feel. I hope that the end is just a new beginning.

> Who cares!

You do, and so does everything self-aware organism. But hey, you posted something, so good for you.

I do too, but let's be realistic. It's waaaayyy more likely that you are just dead, and that's the end of it.

Only one way

Well if you do believe that happens Death is the absence of feeling so it doesn't really matter

I for one, cannot wait to go back into the void.

Yes it is, but there are so many things in the universe that cannot be explained. I will definitely not sit here and cry until I'm dead.

>Anyone else struggle with this?
no it's actually the polar opposite for me.

OP, if you studied science you would know that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Upon death you transfer to something else.

Human beings are not a part of the ecosystem of this planet, so death is our escape. So buckle up, it is only the beginning.

No, Sup Forumsro, I don't care. And almost anyone cares, you know why? because almost everyone mature enough, sooner or later, comes to a very simple realization:

1.- If there's a afterlife, no matter how is, you will, sooner or later, be there and see by yourself.
2.- If there's not a afterlife, you can not change, avoid, deny or escape from it.

I, actually, don't believe in a afterlife. This is our time, this is our life. Then, I enjoy the moment, I live and love, like I will die tomorrow: To the fullest, with not regrets.

Enjoy your life, and stop caring about things you can not change or avoid. Be a good person and enjoy this ride we called Life.

>you worshiped me you entire life to get into heaven
>now worship me for eternity

this. It is something you can't stop nor avoid, just accept it and learn to live with it.

You can either look at your life from the perspective of the universe and realize that you and everything you do, feel and thing is essentially nothing in the grand scheme of things or you can realize that you are the centre of your own universe, you only have one life and a finite amount of time to experience it, might as well make the most of it and try to enjoy every moment

I think this is probably the most realistic and probable outcome, but some part of me believes that, similarly but different to reincarnation, we'll be born again. Not as ourselves at all, or as a tree or animal, but if we had this 1 in a trillion (or whatever the number is) to be born as it is, what are the chances we'll be born as a totally different individual?

Not as ourselves in another body, but a totally different mash of genes to create this new person. We die, then in the blink of an eye you're born into a goat herding family on Mars in 2188. Who knows eh

Better do as much, see as much, try as much as you can, and not waste it, bc this life is one quick shot and then it's back to the dirt with you, to continue not experiencing the world just like you were busy not experiencing it before you were born. Realize, what dirt is, is the layer of decomposing dead bodies covering this rocky planet. That's how much has come before you, and where you're going, so every minute you're not in there is an opportunity to improve your life or make it worse. Decide, and do it.

Solace? What does that do for you? Make you complacent?

Nope. Haven't cared since I was a little boy, deluding myself with undue self-importance.

Same as everyone else. Live for today. Or don't live and just sit in abject fear of something you have zero control over.

Frankly I'm glad. The idea of living forever is horrifying. If it weren't for death, we'd have to deal with an endless cycle of assholes from the past. You think we'd be better off if the power-mad assholes from the past would ever give up power? Or imagine the hashtag protest bullshit we'd never hear the end from if Christopher Columbus was still alive and having to see this greasy VD infected wop doing an apology campaign for fucking 10 year old native girls?

Death is the greatest gift nature ever gave us. Shit, at 40 i'm having trouble keeping myself interested in my little slice of what i've been given.

Dude, read up on the actual science of death:

horizonresearch.org/Uploads/Journal_Resuscitation__2_.pdf

Here it is in a more digestible format:

youtube.com/watch?v=tHcZc-JJEFw

TL;DR/DW The science on NDEs has shown that they cannot be explained as brain-generated hallucinations, as people are reporting accurately precisely what happen during cardiac arrest.

So there is an afterlife, it's beyond amazing, and everyone is going. You chose this life, and it is very much like a role-playing game. You chose your stats (how ugly/handsome, dumb/smart, rich/poor, healthy/sick, funny/boring etc you were going to be. We all did.

But then again, "muh materialism" and "muh religion" and "muh we can't know" won't go away overnight, and the denial will take a long time for this to be accepted. I'm just telling you what is actually the case, without all the bullshit.

Tbh I find the prospect of getting old more depressing

It used to freak me out. And then I started to think what it would have been like if I was never even born at all. So now I'm just happy I got to experience life in the first place even if it means it will one day end again.

NDEs are caused by a sudden and rapid release of DMT, which happens to be the most powerful psychedelic.

dude seriously kill yourself for real, ur an actually dumbass who believes in that, science have debunked this.

You can't feel before you're alive, you won't feel once you're dead.
Get ready because the ride never stops.

I take comfort in knowing that by the time I'm 80 I most likely will be ready to go.

Yes that sounds great, but where is the mechanism across space, or the psyiology that enables that function in the body, or the realm of space that transports it or coordinates it, where is any sign of anything that enables any of that actually existing or happening? I looked for years, and found no one has ever found a trace of any of it existing outside my own imagination, motivated by my resistance to death.

>knowing
Funny. You've died before, I take it? You must have, if you KNOW what lies beyond that threshold.

>How do you find solace?
First, accept that you don't KNOW shit, and what you BELIEVE doesn't matter. That's not the end-all be-all, but it's a step in the right direction.

How can 'you' reincarnate if 'you' are but a mere neurochemical pattern etched into the brain matter? If it was 'you', it would require a whole brain.
Your feeling of being aware comes from a part of the brain stem. But that part alone doesn't contain 'you'- your memories, habits or personality.

So what are you talking about?

The thought that I'll cease existing without trace after my death is comforting. Only that helps to go through depressive episodes.

But really, what hippie stuff are you talking about?

How do you feel about the nothing that was before you were born? Nothing, right? Why then would you feel any different about the nothing that comes after death?

I'm halfway there, and am finally starting to understand why people that age are ok with dying.

>I'm just telling you what is actually the case, without all the bullshit.

You're really not though, are you?

Indeed.

Except for these facts:

1. There is literally zero evidence that DMT is produced in the brain at all, let alone during cardiac arrest.

2. DMT experiences are forgotten almost immediately, NDEs are remembered vividly for life.

3. There is no comeup and comedown from an NDE, and it's not psychedelic in any way. People who have experienced both say that they are radically different experiences.

The "DMT causes NDEs" is an urban myth.

Popular science magazines churn out the same "It might be this psychophysiological theory!" every 6 months, and they've been doing that for decades because it sells to people who want to believe that science == materialism.

But when you listen to what the actual researchers on the topic have to say, it's the complete opposite:

“Without exception, every report of a large study of NDEs published in a mainstream medical journal has concluded that these phenomena cannot be explained as hallucinations. Such unanimity among scientific researchers is unusual and should tell us something. Why is it that scientists who have done the most near-death research believe the mind is not exclusively housed in the brain, whereas those who regard NDEs as hallucinations by and large have not conducted any studies of the phenomena at all?”

When there is just nothing, then there is still something beyond...
^^
Nothingness can mean that everything becomes !ONE! in the end

There's as much proof for it as there is anything else definitive for what comes after death. It's a hope more than it is a serious belief.

Maybe I was unclear, but whatever semblance of 'you' that made you you (whether that's conscience, memories, personality traits etc) wouldn't come with you. You'd be totally new and no longer who you were before death. You wouldn't be Steve from Alabama who's now Liu Ling from China, you'd just be Liu Ling, if that makes more sense.

YOU are awareness. Not steve, thats just an idea that arises in awareness.

not believing in reincarnation

I stopped caring once I realised that there's a good chance that it just stops.
It's like before you were born, you don't know shit. You wouldn't even notice yourself stop being alive.

Now I just enjoy myself shitposting with my gay internet friends, listening to shit music and playing vidya.

In my late teens I used to agonise over it, sometimes I wouldn't sleep because I'd panic about the ever-after. Didn't take long for me to realise that every second spent crying about something that can't be helped is a second wasted doing something that makes me happy.

Sure, the moments leading up to death might be shitty, but that's a long way away. With any luck you'll just pass in your sleep without even knowing. That's how I'd like to go.

Just stay comfy, OP. It'll work itself out.

It's called the pineal gland dude. It naturally produces DMT.

It's also been found in the pineal gland of rodents, in which we base many of our medicinal findings on.

Got your answer, we don't know......its easy to say something with out any proof. Im not religious, on the other hand cant say that there is nothing. we just humans and see what we supposed to see.

Do you have a scholarly citation for the claim that DMT is produced in the pineal gland?

Yes, it's been found in the pineal gland of rodents. But rodents and humans are quite different creatures.

But again, even if we for the sake of argument assumed that DMT was created in the pineal gland in humans (which we don't have any evidence for) and that there was DMT released during cardiac arrest (again, zero evidence) we're still left with two problems:

1. People report, verifiably and accurately, what occurs at a time when their brain is demonstrably flat-lined. You can't just say "DMT!" and suddenly that explains it.

2. The NDE is a radically different experience form DMT. I mean, have you ever heard of a DMT trip anything like this:

broadjam.com/artists/songs.php?artistID=14702&mediaID=460764

>can't stop nor avoid
Speaking like a true casual.

>on b
>asking for a scholarly citation
Out of curiosity, how many scholarly citations do you walk around with to pull out in casual conversation? Just curious.

What's so bad about it? It just gives me comfort that the feeling is the same as before you were born; there is none, there is no one to observe or feel. Your consciousness simply stops existing/functioning at that point.
To be honest, I can't think of a more comforting scenario than that. I would be way more unsettled if afterlife was real, since that would create more and more questions about our existence.

Just live man. I'm glad we leave no trace but our body.

When I present something as fact, I usually know why I hold it as fact.

The person who responded to me presented an urban myth as a fact. I was trying to illustrate that as concretely as possible by asking for a reputable source for his claim.

As to your actual question, I'm not keeping count.

I came within inches of death during an overdose, and had a very intense DMT trip, which my mind almost immediately wiped from my memory. All I know is that something absolutely universe-shattering happened in my head, I went through the DMT tunnel, then my ego died and I realized everything was one. I freaked out and scared the hell out of my friends when I regained consciousness.

All that was stuff that came back to me slowly in the following weeks.

I am proof to myself that the brain contains and releases DMT.

Wait, how exactly are you a living proof of that? I don't get it. Because you regained the incident related memories bit by bit?
That sure as hell doesn't sound like a god damn proof to me.

user read this.
I've yet to try DMT, but after recalling my experience I did tons of research into others' DMT experiences. And my NDE matches up perfectly to their DMT trips. Even some of the obscure revelations they describe, and deja vu sensations the recall, I can relate to and talk with them about, as if I too tripped off of DMT.

I am proof to myself. See It's so hard to prove because you can't get into someone's pineal gland at the moment of death and find the level of DMT. But the signs and my experience point towards it.

Don't think that way because no one actually knows.

What you are, is awareness. Awareness cannot experience not being aware. When you sleep, you dont experience the 8 hours as if it were normal, you just wake up. Nature is a cycle, yin and yang. When you die, ane semblance of what you call "you", or your ego, fades into the ripples of space. However your ego is not what you are. You and everyone else are actually awareness. Look for yourself, say I am aware, because are you not? Now who is this I? When you realize the I is a set of ideas you got given and culminated over the years, your ego, all you're left with is awareness. Thats all there is, ever was and ever has been, forever x 42069.

Do you even know what happens inside the brain when experiencing a NDE? I don't mean the subjective experience, but instead the physical processes themselves?

The reason i sleep soundly at night is because i know one day, i'll be able to never wake up again.

You must live a very carefree life.

I've heard a surge in electrical activity generally occurs around the moment of brain death. What's your point? DMT found in rats' pineal glands + people describing a DMT trip during a near death experience, it just seems relatively obvious.

Imagine the opposite, imagine you could live forever. Really dig into that idea. Wouldnt one of the features you'd want to have, be the ability to say "well I've done all I wanted to do" and start over? What kind of a situation does that sound like? It sounds like what happens now. Except because there is no 'i' to make that decision, nature does it perfectly on its own.

But the awareness isn't a mysterious element of human mind. Yes, we are not yet able to explain completely how it arises, but currently available information allows for a simple comparison: the brain stem that is the source of the feeling of consciousness is something like a wire that connects the computer to the monitor. By itself it doesn't contain any information, from what we know it's the same in every person. It merely facilitates the communication between certain parts that do certain function, tehre's no magic there. So what is it you're talking about?

Out of curiosity, what did you almost overdose on? Something psychedelic or dissociative that might have played a role in causing that experience, or a junk drug of some kind?

And were you physically close to death? Since you say that you gained consciousness among your friends and not around medical professionals, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the whole event.

Additionally, just because there are a lot of descriptive similarities between NDEs and DMT experiences do not mean that they are the same thing. For instance, DMT experiences are often a lot more impersonal, they have psychedelic themes everywhere (geometric morphing patterns, etc). NDEs have complete panoramic life reviews of everything you've ever experienced (and how others felt as a result of your interactions), for instance, something never found in DMT experiences.

Anyway, you interpret your NDE(?) as caused by DMT, and that's cool. Some people interpret their NDE as being indicative of Christianity, too. It's sometimes about the cultural framework the person approaches the NDE with in order to make sense of it.

This video sums up this thread perfectly. What a bunch of fags.
youtube.com/watch?v=Z78_rAg4Ldg

Here's what an NDEr who has also done psychedelic drugs have to say about how they differ:

"I would like to mention something else that isn't talked about much and that's hallucinogens. Hoping to recreate the experience, I've tried several drugs, including LSD, mushrooms, and ecstasy. These experiences were all wonderful, interesting, intriguing, fascinating, but there is a big difference. Yes, you get to explore other levels of consciousness but there is often a feeling of loss of control and fear that does not occur during an NDE. With the drugs, there is a surreal feeling, but with the NDE it feels more real than this life. With drugs, it's more an experience is happening to you. With the NDE, you're the experience, the experience is of yourself, your consciousness. A good thing about hallucinogens though is that they give people (who haven't had an NDE) a glimpse into altered states of consciousness and an awareness that there is more to us than we've been led to believe."

Read this one

Just as it was stated higher up, a rodent's brain is different from human's. Subjective experience on the other hand is so untrustworthy that you can't explain a chemical reaction with it. Currently there's no evidence of DMT existing in our brain or that it's being made by it when experiencing something like a NDE.
The most fatal of your mistakes here is that you trust your subjective experience a little too much and make huge assumptions based just on it.

>look how little i care!
>i care so little i need to tell everyone about how little i care!!!

That's peaceful thought. Real Heaven by me.

Atheist. Y'ALL GOD? WACK!.
Y'ALL RELIGION? WACK.
Y'ALL BELIEFS? WACK.
YALL LOGIC? WACK.
ME? IM SMART AS FUCK!!

Cocaine and Xanax. Had taken a tab of LSD quite a while earlier but had mostly worn off. The speedball is really what did me in. Depressed my respiratory system. I woke up unable to breathe. I was barely wheezing and smacking the friends around me, feeling impending death.

My experience is a big mixture of both descriptions you gave (DMT and NDEs). First was the intense deja vu, like I had been in this car dying a billion times before. Then I was going down this vivid, hyper-color tunnel in my vision that turned blue when I got a little bit of air in my lungs and red upon exhaling. Then came a sort of "life review". Like time collapsed, and the story of my life and the universe just became one singular point with no space or time. Followed by a sort of collapse of visuals. Lot of "impossible geometry", it's difficult to explain even to myself.

After that collapse, I don't know where I went. Maybe my heart stopped. But I came back, regained consciousness and started freaking out in this parking lot with my friends trying to chase me.

It's extremely DMT, but yet extremely NDE. Immediately after the episode, my brain blocked out a lot of what happened. Personally I am convinced DMT is released upon death, and may even be the explanation for why certain cultures believe in heaven or an afterlife.

Sure i want to live forever, but when death is around the corner i will probably welcome it out of curiosity of what's to come. Finding out what happens after.
Being curious is a basic human instinct that should stick with you right into the end(?).

you may be right. I am no expert, and it may even be possible that my brain is reaching for something to relate to.

Awareness seems more like as a byproduct of large quantities of information being processed in a certain way. Hence in medicine the level of consciousness can be measured, in science the animals are sometimes graded by their level of awareness (hence some species of octopus are legal as subjects of scientific trials and some are not).
Mystifying it is quite stupid. Susan Greenfield has done a lot of work in simplifying the scientific advances behind consciousness research, you can check it out if you feel like it.

also the revelation that everything is one entity. Time is relative and the universe is just one thing peering out through different realities. Not a new concept to me at the time, but it was solidified in my mind without question or doubt during those few minutes

If there is no afterlife why should I care about being a good person. I should just do whatever benefits me the most and fuck everyone elsem

I take great solace in knowing that when it's over, it's over. Whether it's something different or it's nothing at all.

Imagine the hell of knowing the opposite - that it doesn't change. That you keep coming back to this prison. That there's no way out EVER?

I dont know what mystifying it means lol, sorry if its coming off that way, I'm only asking you to go to your direct experiences. Dont take my word for it. Anyways, I'm off, have a good day friends :).

Death is not the end

It most certainly is the end.

because then your actual life, the one you're experiencing right now, will be significantly worse off. If you're fine with living your one life being hated, being avoided, or being in jail, then by all means, no one's stopping you from being a total asshole. But that's personally not how I'd like to live.

Mfw when you've always been doing that lmao. Its impossible to do something you dont want to do.

well despite a human nature to want to think otherwise, bc it makes you realize all our love and kindness is for nothing, but to really believe in magic by thinking the impossible, but yes ur right op, embrace it

Maybe because you have a conscience? If the only thing keeping you from behaving like an asshole is the threat of an afterlife punishment then you don't deserve to live anyway.

Prove it.

Embrace the void user
Meditation is the practice for death

>Significantly worse
>by doing what's good for me
I mean there is literally 0 incentive to be "good"
And yet I live. There is no justice in a world with no afterlife. Fuck everyone else and give me all your shit.

The universe is infinite. You'll be around again.

And again

1. Take LSD
2. Realize that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
3. ???
4. Profit

And again

And again

when we die we leave the simulation and get reviewed based on our behavior and that determines if we go to hell (killed off) or heaven (join the real world and live in harmony harmony ohhh love)

That shit is gonna get old

Just like existence

>If I'm selfish and an asshole to everyone around me my life won't be significantly worse off

Do you even go outside user? Society doesn't work the way you think it does, and if society rejects you, then good luck getting what you want

Sure there's incentive. They make a place for people who don't have a conscience, it's called prison. How about not spending your life in prison? That right there is justice in a world with no afterlife.

>how I should feel knowing that after death there's nothing

You don't know, faggot.