I want to into metal but i have a question. why do all the album art look the same?

i want to into metal but i have a question. why do all the album art look the same?

What are some /metal/ approved RYM profiles?

It's a theme, they make it easier for their illiterate fans. If only more genres were so inclusive.

what covers metal is it?

Nah, the album arts generally are similar on the basis of styles. So a lot slam music or black metal done in the style of Darkthrone often take have similar naming and album art conventions so fans would know what the package entails. Otherwise, overall I find the genre to be more creative with its album art than other genres due to how detailed some of it can get.

>Otherwise, overall I find the genre to be more creative with its album art than other genres due to how detailed some of it can get.
metaltards are delusional, t b h

no they dont

>i want to into metal
dont do dis

because metal bands are expected to conform to puerile aesthetic to appease the juveniles that listen to them. anyone who deviates from the norm will promptly be labeled hipster metal and dismissed by the community at large.

>why are the movie posters for comedies "funny", spooky for horrors, and action filled for action movies

yes they do. they all share that style that makes it look edgy, are usually very crowded with too much detail and they have either to do with religion or death. at least that's what i've seen so far trying to explore

terrible analogy because metal is one of a handful of genres that is inexorably linked to a certain aesthetic.

this wasn't always the case though, I think it started with black metal edgelords thinking that Morbid Angel was becoming too mainstream, so they started becoming more elitist as a response

btw your point is not entirely true OP, but if you're into it and you'll go to "weekly premieres" sites and similiar stuff you'll probably easliy guess sub-genres by simply looking at the cover art and band name

works for more generic bands which are of course in majority, but isn't it like that everywhere?

Best post ITT. Metal, generally, is about the darker/serious aspects of life, and the cover art usually reflects that.

which covers is it metal?

so you're saying pic related is ok?

>they all share that style that makes it look edgy
That's not a style, that's the way the style comes off. I'm sure there are a wide variety of art styles that the average person would think is edgy, that doesn't make those art styles "the same".

>are usually very crowded with too much detail
this is more true of certain subgenres of metal than others

>and they have either to do with religion or death
...so, they're often about two of the most varied and popular artistic themes on the planet? You're right, they're all the same!

There are three types of metal album art.

1. Conan the barbarian

2. 80's b horror movie

3. A black and white photo of a Scandinavian Forrest, the album is called "the ways of yore", the music was made by the notorious snorrrey vargson, mass murder, war criminal, white supremacist, dungeons and dragons player.

you haven't explored anything then, stop shitposting

Nqh it started pretty early on, listen to Varg's blogs about how they were the only trve metal and everyone else was a poser

It does all sort of blur together sometimes, the only exceptions I can think of are Iron Maiden and Motorhead because of the iconic characters.

Other than that? Skulls, demons, dragons, religious symbolism, more skulls, maybe a sword if it's power metal. Usually against a black background or at least with black as the most prevalent colour and a needlessly huge name at the top just so you know who it is.

They made a fucking Call of Cthulhu movie? I didn't want to know that user, fuck you senpai

>metal band logos

where does mastodon fit then

Looks like a woman jumping feet first into a grapefruit.

some of my last year's favourite releases, all fitting in death or black metal genre

and these are not extra-niche choices

but yeah, prolly this thread is just a bait

You people are retards, thrash metal album covers are very distinct from black metal album covers

ffs posted wrong picture

*blocks your path*

>pole Nazi problems

Go

>very distinct
>posts a "skull and massive name at top" album cover
couldn't make this shit up

oh, and lost in time

4. Hair metal cover, A hot chick riding a giant cartoon gun, and the album is called like "suck my kiss"

thrash metal albums are usually, very bright, cartoony, look like a hand drawn poster for a b horror movie you found when you were five and walking around hollywoood video.

Black metal album covers are black and white, usually some nature scene, or a picture of the band in corpse paint

Doesn't that just prove his point that every genre has their dumb overused palette every band is expected to adhere to?

he is saying all metal looks the same, but clearly by subgenre there are distinct differences

every genre of music has their own art style and artwork trends ffs
OP just looked at death metal and concluded that's the whole metal aesthetic, aka OP is a faggot and needs to fuck off

So every subgenre looks the same.

Name other genres whose covers may as well be carbon copies of each other. And I don't count jazz's "here is a pic of the band", because most of the time it was done for practical purposes. Especially death metal is the fucking same shit every time.

It's the same imagery, regardless of subgenre.
>here's a cartoony demon so you know it's thrash
>here's a gory bloody demon so you know it's death
Come the fuck on

>every subgenre has a style that makes it unique

congratulations, you solved the mystery why subgenres are subgenres

user there's distinct differences, there's a drawn gore cover, a CGI gore cover and a photo gore cover!

>every subgenre is a carbon copy of one prototype of album cover and person

I don't think so senpai

People have explained the difference, you seem like a moron set in your ways though

No they just proved that metal is so homogenized you can only draw differences from subgenres and everything else looks exactly the same

is this development of "all metal sounds like noise and loud screming" meme?

how many covers would you like to see before admitting that there are differences?

You either believe I'm OP or that I dislike metal, neither of those are true, I'm just able to point out the lack of creativity in the album art.

Also, only one of those is me, there's more than one person here.

This is a problem in all genres. The biggest cliche is just having a face and a name on the cover. I wish most of these talented bands weren't so fucking retarded when it comes to album art, but they are.

You doesn't look very far.
> This lovely little group right hur
Also check out more funk and alternative metal then if you don't album covers.

A fuck of a lot more than 5 or whatever, I can find you 5 for every one you post.

there is 15 and to make my point easier all of these could be labeled as black metal, all of these were released within last 3 years or so and all of these are from one country. believe me or not, but these are rather known releases, no nit-picking very underground bands and so on

as you can see there are almost no resemblances between each other and only 1 fits into "black metal cliche" basket

again i am prolly victim of a troll but i cant bring myself to study for tommorows exam so whatever let's waste the time this way

le

is what metal covers is it or what?

user please tell me the names of those albums, I loved Mgla and Batushka but I haven't explored much more

Furia - Nocel
Entropia - Ufonaut (you just need to listen to this, cant describe, one of my fav releases from 2016)
Death Like Mass - Kręte Drogi (sideproject of guys behind Cultes des Ghoules, more poisonous and aggresive)
Mord'A'Stigmata - Hope (post black with some great synths and coldwave influences)
Blaze of Perdition - A Near Death Revelations (interesting and authentic, this album was recorded after road accident band had, one of members fatally wounded, other half-paralyzed)

Thaw - s/t (most "metal" of their releases, bm merged with noise and drone)
Behemoth - The Satanist
Furia - Guido (more experimental stuff)
Batushka - Litourgiya
Non Opus Dei - Diabeł

Medico Peste - Herzogian Darkness
Loathfinder - The Great Tired Ones (death/ black/ doom, great vocals and atmosphere)
Licho - Podnoszenie czarów (weird, cranky, folklore merged with occult and bm)
Kriegsmaschine - Enemy of Man (sideproject of M from Mgla, imo his best work)
Mgła - Exercises in Futility

thanks!

Come on, post more literally the same covers.

because metal is an uninspired genre based on repetition of what came before rather than actually trying something new

it covers metal is what it is?

ITT

Ok

because (your favorite genre) is an uninspired genre based on repetition of what came before rather than actually trying something new