What do you guys think, Sup Forums?

What do you guys think, Sup Forums?

The correct one mm dd yyyy

I think dd/mm/yyyy makes the most sense.
mm/dd/yyyy makes the most sense for computing, tho

>completely ignoring the concepts of significant digits and lexicographical ordering

Problem with dd/mm/yyyy is that you get the least significant digits right near the start then the next, then the most significant in the order 21/43/8765 which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense

yyyy/mm/dd makes the most sense for computing
general to specific

yyyy-mm-dd 4 lyfe

Yeah this, mm/dd/yyyy is only marginally better
Besides fuck having slashes in filenames, hypen master race

more importantly, if all fields are padded to a consistent number of digits, date sorting can be done by a simple string sort.

ye this is how i sort my projects

only yy tho because fuck the future

The only right answer.
Yyyymmdd allows for easy sorting by date.

Boy you're gonna wish you hadn't done that in 100 years

Maybe for a database purposes, but not for straight-up integer value or memory allocation in a table. Least amount of space (in literal integer form if you're using a table) to allocate for a month out of 12, then 365 days at most, then thousands of years worth of cells. Depends on what you're doing with the numbers, too. If you're calling up a new day all the time you'd want days to be allocated first so they're called up that fraction of a second faster, then months and years in order of rate of change.

I'm fine with any way although since I'm American I prefer America's way. The only thing I HATE is the lack of consistency across places. If you see 11-12-2017 then you don't know if they were using USA time so it's November 12th, or if they were using Europe shit so it's December 11th. If we all were consistent we would get used to which is which and never get confused about what day you're talking about.

YES
And this right here is another reason that I love yyyy-mm-dd so much, because there's literally no confusion about which is month and which is day, if you put the year first then month is ALWAYS right after

well, slashes for yyyy/mm/dd is sort of useful in a unix context

kek one website I know of simply treated their first year digit as base 36

triggered

ddmmyyyy and mmddyyyy are obviously better than yyyymmdd. i have not a bit of evidence

I think year is better last because it's generally the least important information you'd want to know since it's more likely they mean the current year and then if they give it, it's at the end.

For any serious computing purpose, Unix timestamp is the only way to store dates and times. Unambiguous, easy to do calculations with, and takes up way less space than storing BCD/ASCII to make humans more comfortable.

>base 36
nigger what the fuck i need to know more

FIXED

>If you're calling up a new day all the time you'd want days to be allocated first so they're called up that fraction of a second faster
Temporal locality. If you're calling up a new day all the time you would want days last, so that the one year and one month where they're going are more likely to fit into cache.

>since I'm American I prefer America's way
memes made flesh

>current year
>2011 + 6
No reason the human mind can't infer the first part. You'll know within three characters whether the date is starting with a month or a year anyway.

BMEzine a few rewrites ago.
98 99 a0 a1 a2 a3

AHAHAHAHAHA
you completely missed the point of the image dumbass
the point is that left most digits are more significant inside of each number field (year, month, day) so it makes far more sense to put the number fields themselves in order of significance instead of completely dicking up the order

Also one other thing
Order of digit update when you increment the dayin yyyy-mm-dd:
8765-43-21
Order in dd/mm/yyyy:
21-43-8765
Get what I'm talking about now?

>21/43/8765
What planet are you from that has 43+ months??

TF? You serious? Epoch time? Too much of a hassle to convert to real time and back. And any amount of space saved using it is literally nothing.

read the post again dumbass
order of update when you increment a day
last digit of day changes first, then first digit of day, then last digit of month, then first digit of month, then the digits of year from last to first

^ this user's gonna get bitten on the ass by the y2.038k problem

Then spit out some CAD files for a mechanism to do that. Shouldn't take you more than a second.

>what are 64 bit integers

>what are 64 bit integers
Eight bytes, since you asked.
>takes up way less space
>than BCD
:^)

Does your brain even function

If there are any Linux computers running in the year 2106, they are FUCKED if they're using any 32 bit integers for the timestamp since that year it will overflow the max unsigned value. That will be 2038 if someone was stupid enough to use signed 32 bit integer to store a unix timestamp.

No, she's been sucking too much horse cock

Mm/dd/yyyy
Max: 12/31/9999
It only makes sense

fuck off saber

Linux has had 64-bit time_t for a while now.

you'll be sorry you did that in 7983 years

>t.Stewart Brand

ISO agrees with you, OP

t. mozart

It's called America, maybe you've heard of it

>ISO8601 master race

it only slightly triggers me that people don't do it this way

At least America uses correct lexicographical ordering in *part* of the date (mm/dd) whereas the dd/mm/yyyy format is just completely backwards.

Today is October 31, 2017.

Today is the 1st of November 2017

>today is October 31st
AAHAHAHAHA
First of all, that's not even right (not the whole world is the U.S of A), second of all, it's just as valid to say "2017, the 31st of October" and although that would come off strange in actual conversation it's still perfectly valid to say.
Besides this thread wasn't even about how you say things, rather just how you write them down in a concise 8 digit format.

Daily reminder that you've been cucked by the meat jew

what the fuck
this is a date format thread
what does meat/veganism have to do with it

"IN ORDER, MOST TO LEAST SIGNIFICANT DIGIT"
congratulations, dumbass, you just put the digits least to most significant
tell me, do you write your dates like 10/11/7012 least to most significant?
obviously not, you missed the whole point of the post

The trick is to realise that the option that will be picked first is the one that has the most immediate use. DD/MM/YYYY has more day-to-day use, because when events are in the present and don't go for years at a time, the need to have the year first is less important. This thus makes the day more important for short term use. Year only becomes the most important factor when dealing with past events, hitting a peak when it is referring to events that happened for a long period of time.

consistency tho
If I say 11/10/2017 on the internet it's not exactly clear whether I mean November 10th or October 11th, whereas with 2017-11-10 it's obvious that I mean November 11th because month is *always* after year when year is first.