/prod/ - frozen shithole edition

/prod/ - frozen shithole edition

Post snippets using clyp.it OR instaudio.
Soundcloud posters will be drawn and quartered. (Just kidding, getting angry about soundcloud posters is just plain silly. It won't stop them! But also, don't post soundclouds, this isn't the place for that. You just end up looking down syndrome retarded if you do. Retard.)

Sup Forums /Production/ Resources:

>Mixing and Mastering:
! ESSENTIAL Mixing Masterclass with Bob Power: youtu.be/cHxMsawJsTc
Mixing Engineers Handbook: mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz: mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU
Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle: mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

>Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

>Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Previously in /prod/:
>74937126

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/30wrqj0z
clyp.it/tu1pthrv
clyp.it/hzbyixps
youtu.be/Dcy25od869k
clyp.it/0mccwizb
clyp.it/qu0jl4ki
clyp.it/heb20xpa
clyp.it/2bequ3zi
clyp.it/5y25hd5r
clyp.it/jipfeyya
clyp.it/cfn5eqpk
clyp.it/piyli4jm
clyp.it/jb1vzjuk
soundcloud.com/
clyp.it/hnxzw040
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck
previous thred:

Only similar thing I know is axoloti, bought one but haven't used it yet as I have to put it in a case first.
That said I also have a micro modular, but I would like more knobs and processing power (= more voices).
MSP is too low level IMO, it's just annoying to use. Might as well do real programming at that point.

>autisicitally tries to justify sc posting

Niggas trying to use YouTube and downloads in the last threads wtf

Sorry, just copied it over from some archived thread.

clyp.it/30wrqj0z
Worth finishing?

sure why not

how do I know when it's time to send my shit demo to a label?

I have no related experience but I'd shill my shit a lot online and if I start getting good responses I'd give it a try.

Omg all i want to do is post a million random soundclouds, but i won't user i won't because i am not a dick.

Is whazzit music sounds better in a frozen shithole or what?

ehh this is the first thing ive made, what should i practice on improving? not done btw

clyp.it/tu1pthrv

Everything. Download some synths with good presets (serum, omnisphere) and drum samples and learn about synthesis and mixing. Watch a video or two. Also start getting used to basic effects. Reverb is your friend.

>have giant modular synths
>use renoise instead
pretty cool

>tfw came up with the single best musical idea I've had in my 8 years of producing
>too afraid to start working on it incase I fuck it up

Not both?...

You can always start it again if you don't like it.

clyp.it/hzbyixps
can you guess what song I ripped of the chord progression from because I'm utterly uninspired?

hey just wondering what /prod/ does now that we can't upload files larger than 25mb to clyp without a paying sub? That really fucked me.

compress?

Now sure how to. I always bounce in wav. 44.1 and songs that i used to upload to clyp I cant anymore. I don't really want to upload a compressed mp3 file.

25mb of 320kbps mp3 is like 10 minutes worth of music, you don't need better quality for clyp demos.

youtu.be/Dcy25od869k
How would you create the vocal effect at 1:35 (on the laugh sample) in ableton?

clyp.it/0mccwizb

Almost done this track, need some secondary opinions on the song structure/arrangement. Also want to know if this tune appeals to anyone here, as I am not sure what genre it is. Any feedback is welcome and helps. Thank you

would this benefit from a 250hz cut and/or a highs boost?

clyp.it/qu0jl4ki

I will never ever relate to this

at least I feel like my work is shit AFTER I've done something
I usually spend 2/3 days asking myself "what the fuck I have done" but after the dust settles I can start working on it again

>what is pitch

I know its pitch related, but how do you do it with an audio clip for instance? Just automate the pitch to go down? How the shit do you automate pitch of audio clips/samples?

just upload the mp3 you autistic cunt

Best DAW for sample based production? I'm at my wits end with Logic.

What I want are tools that let me adjust the pitch and tempo of samples independently in the least destructive manner possible.

I assume you're working on ableton
(If not, I can't help you)

there's a "pitch knob" just on the left of your sample, down in the tempo/warp window
automate that accordingly

my bad you already said you're working on ableton, so there you go

of course, knobs automations are easier and more intuitive with a MIDI controller instead of your mouse/arrow keys

i fucking hate adhd music like this
it's very nicely made though, just not my cup of tea.

the vocal sample that comes in at 1:20 is out of tune.

Doing great, user.

who club here?

clyp.it/heb20xpa

anyone?

Okay thanks a lot man, this is the same for samples I just drop into arrangement view right?

actually yes, I was talking about the arrangement view mainly

you're welcome !

ableton is alright

>drum samples
thats like, cheating though

if ableton is good for james holden and nathan fake, itìs good for me

actually I use drum samples a lot, loops too

I cut them with a gate, some beat crasher and a little delay
works like a charm for subtle hats

What do you use instead of drum samples?
Kontakt libraries are good but having a huge sample library is more comfortable, specially for hip hop and edm. Synthesizing your own drums when you're new is a ridiculous idea.

can someone quickly help me get this master right
clyp.it/2bequ3zi

heres the reference
clyp.it/5y25hd5r

Vocals are too much in the back

Feels like the lows are being boosted way too much.
Too much activity on the right side in comparison to the left.

logic can do that haha maybe you should watch a tutorial

no no, one shots of drums are find (not loops)

it's PRESETS that are cheating

i though the vocals were ok because theyre ok when mono but will bring them up.
how i can fix the right/left thing, theres no extra instrument on each side, actually theres the hihat on the left.

maybe duplicate one of the channels and seperate?

Best mic I can get for $400 bucks?
need a mic that's not tinny or has too much on the high end but also isn't muddy and too much on the low end.
Will be using it for vocals/acoustic instruments

did it improve?
clyp.it/jipfeyya
also boosted some mids to get it closer to the reference

sm57 really is a good versatile mic, i use one for my vocals and guitars

Do I need an amp with dynamic mic like SM57? or am I fine running it through my interface.

no need

Yay or nay?

clyp.it/cfn5eqpk

Awesome I'll consider it since the price is so cheap.

Sounds a lot better dude.

I'm getting some sharp frequencies on my headphones though. Maybe keep your midrange away from the highs more.

Listen to the intro and you'll find it easily, its in the drumstick count aswell. sweep frequencies in those parts I'd say and look for excessive activity. You should be seeing peaks I'm pretty sure.

yeah there really is a peak. shoulda cut it only on the intro?

Wanna add vocals to this. Some high pitched female vocals. Wondering how much I'm fucking up since it's kinda different.
clyp.it/piyli4jm

BTW it's harsh so maybe turn down the volume. No need to listen to more than a minute either.

That works, it really isn't that apparent in the rest of the track.

theyre quite quiet already, sounds fine to me, i dont think its getting harsh

ok thanks im rendering it

I feel like you could easily bring those vocals up 2db

Drums are nice. I'd make the bass stronger, tho. Maybe it's cause shitty headphones but I can barely hear it.

I use mixpad.
How do I install VSTs?

or what free daw should i get

how do you guys get samples off of albums on youtube?
like if i wanted a specific sample but didnt want to download the entire album what would i use

record from the stereo mix

I'm trying to use one in audacity right now but all these fucking videos say to go to "add / remove plug-ins" and my audacity doesn't fucking have that

yeah, my stereo mix isnt showing up in my recording options
any other alternatives?

try audacity and enabling stereo mix device from windows' recording devices

clyp.it/jb1vzjuk

Sounds perfect to me now bro.

great! thank you a lot friend

i'm making a sample pack for my own usage. I feel like I should just make loops, export as wav, then organize them into folders. Is it that simple or am I missing a step?

Tag tempo and key, enter in filename.

soundcloud.com/ :^)

are you willing to help me finetune another master

yeah, that's about all I expected. thanks. I just tend to think things are more complicated even when they aren't.

Sure thing.

Use ableton or FL.

ok thank you heres the present state of it
clyp.it/hnxzw040

reference is the same
clyp.it/5y25hd5r

can i hire you to finetune my mixes like we just did when i open a monetizing studio? seriously

reaper is free stop using that shit niggers

download the actual album what the fuck.... youtube makes everything sound like ass, if you have the option not to, don't

>reaper is free
for 60 days

Lmao, I'd fucking love to do proffesional work like that.

I never will though, music industry in my country is garbage.

I'll listen to the track in a couple minutes. Eating dinner.

it will let you keep using it after the 60 days

Your Gay Modern DAW: Stupid, ugly, little ribbons represent notes, pathetic horizontal axis (passive, vaginal), tiny little needle nebbishly rolls from left to right across the dead unmoving track like a broken needle sliding off a greasy dead hooker's stomach

Renoise: Bold, beautiful, notes represented by timeless and powerful letters and numbers that hold the utmost cosmic significance, entire track moves upward on the superior penile vertical axis like rising steam when playing, complexity and power scares away cuckbois from broken homes

I'll try it, if only for it VSTi capabilities, but man this setup is ugly.

Anyone know how to deal problems when rendering MIDI? I have a track of MIDI strings that just gets cutoff when trying to render it, pic related. I would guess that the problem lies with the plugin I use, but I have rendered without a problem with it before.

Can someone explain enharmonics?

How do I know if I am using an interval in its minor or augmented or diminished form? Is it just that augmented or diminished implies the note is an accidental within the mode?

what exactly is getting cut off

both are shit, reaper is the good daw

I would fuck Aaron

A rendered MIDI track running a strings plugin, in the pic I posted the top track is how it turns out when I render it and it should be like a continuous waveform. But instead as you see it just gets cutoff for some reason.

ah i see. have you checked the plugins settings? might be some option like sustain

interval or chord?
minor interval is a half step below the major one
dimnished is a half step below the perfect if its a 4 or 5, and a half step below the minor if its i think any other interval

>r- reaper is the good daw you guys!

fucking reaper cucks are always the only ones trying to justify their shit i swear

I checked the settings for anything suspicious but couldn't find anything that made a difference. I manged to solve it anyway through a kinda roundabout way, but still kinda annoying

cubase is the only good daw

oh man, adhd music is what gets me going haha. I love random noises and samples that don't belong but just "work".

Sorry it's not your cup of tea, but appreciate the kind words too.

you should try separating the pluck that comes in at 2:38 it's kinda weird to have it come in in the left ear only. Maybe have the bell phase from left to right, for some more movement in that part.

The kickdrum that adds to the build up sounds a bit sharp. If you blast it on full volume it actually physically hurts your ear. You can hear it when you lower the volume aswell. Sounds like its peaking at 250 to 300 or something.

Think it's panned a bit too much to the right aswell. Like it's a guy in a room next door playing the kickdrum with his door open.

Other parts sound good.

If you want you can give me a way to contact you if you need help in the future.

cubase is literally trash with their shitty track freezing and item cutting/stretching/glue systems

I know that but as you may have noticed an augmented second and minor third are the same thing. So I am asking how do I know if I'm spelling an augmented second or a minor third for instance.

What's the best solution for drums, samples of synthesis? I like the whole 808 and 909 thing but looking to expand my pallet. Should I get more samples (literally the only packs I have) or look into a drum synth? Also are the D16 drum machines any good? (desu i'd probably be only using them for their samples)