What do you think about shotguns?

What do you think about shotguns?

you could have done worse, Mossberg 590 right?

they're a staple of any decent firearm collection

500A?

Yea

cheap, reliable, powerful home protection. Just dont be an idiot and use birdshot to defend your home.

.22 salt rounds, wouldn't want to kill anybody. ;)

Is this bc it won’t do it effectively or what? I am literally an idiot when it comes to gun knowledge... or is it bc the spread will fuck your house up?

Bird shot = tiny pellets (BB size) with low cross-sectional density, designed to barely penetrate and slow down quickly. Buck shot (.33" pellets) is better to stop an intruder, slugs (1 0z. 0.75" chunks) are better to disintegrate that intruder.

Dead men don't hire lawyers... Guys hit with salt rounds do.

Just FYI, user. If you're going to have a gun for self-defense, you have to be ready to KILL with it...

I have a Remington 870. Great home defender and only used once so far.

I know of hunting dogs that have taken hits by birdshot and were fine. Just sticks in the skin, hurts, but won't shut down organs or cause hemorrhaging. It'll fuck up your wall, but nobody cares. Hardly ever happens, it's worth it, and you can't kill someone with something that bounces off drywall.

Slugs are a shit-tier choice in a home situation, though, because they're basically a HUGE bullet, and are going to punch through much things before coming to a stop... You're gonna kill the intruder, your wall, your lamp, your computer screen, your cat, and the neighbor's mailbox all with one shot...

A bible stops a slug

sarcasm user.

agree with this

.22 caliber salt rounds are harmless. Shoot yourself with it. I've done it from 10 meters.

This is what you do. Get a shotgun, and take the choke out so it holds more than 3 rounds.
(A lot of people don't know you can do that, but don't hunt with any shotgun that can more than hold 3 rounds.)

Load the shotgun where the first round is birdshot, the next round is buckshot, and the last 6 are slugs.

Then if you ever need it they can have their one warning shot with minimal damage, if the buckshot doesnt kill them (PCP drugs or whatever) the slug will send them straight to hell.

#4 shot at close range is going to do a LOT of damage. It's the smallest I'd go for defense, though... Buck is nice too, but you only have a handful of pellets that are going to hit something, and shotguns are totally random in their pattern.

My cat? Shut up and take my money!

That's not sarcasm. People have been successfully sued by home invaders for slipping on a skateboard or falling through a skylight. You DON'T want some home invader suing your dumb ass because you were too afraid of killing the dumb son of a bitch.

NO, it doesn't.

was gonna say this

Most case scenarios where you grab a shotgun for defense are going to be close proximity.

I agree with you however, because in my opinion the ammo or weapon you are most
effective with is going to be more effective than a gun, or type of ammunition that is stronger.

>I've done it from 10 meters.
You got some really long arms, user!

>take the choke out so it holds more than 3 rounds.
That's not the choke. That's a limiter because some states are gay about hunting and require a shotgun only carry 3rds at a time. I know my state does too, and it's absolutely tarded.

>one warning shot with minimal damage
Again, you're just begging to get sued. Either be prepared to KILL on contact, or don't bother owning a firearm for protection.

>itt: shit-tier advice from edgy anons who've never had to kill a person before

it was 100% sarcasm. kill anybody who unlawfully enters your house. if op wanted serious answers he should not have gone to /b :)

#4 buck is the best choice

Inside of 10m (i.e. most indoor situations), you're going to fuck someone's shit up with bird shot.

However, at any sort of distance, you're going to want something heavier for penetration power. There are plenty of cases of people being hit with birdshot that have walked away largely unscathed because of the poor penetration at distance.

^ All of my this. What you're comfortable with trumps any gun shop, /k/, or even Sup Forums recommendation in the world.

they are nice for deer hunting in the deep woods
>fucks up the meat though

Clay shooting = god-tier sport.

got 2 Browning's, Beretta and a Perazzi (that is considered an arsenal in this country). Use 3/4 choke on sporting shoots, sometimes do pheasant shoots with a side-by-side too but its a pricey game.

Not sure about all this home defense stuff (britfag) but yeah think i would probably use slugs if i ever needed to drop a human.

As I recall, #4 is like the threshold between buck and bird; a lot of people call it buck, and a lot of people call it bird...

I call it a great and hella versatile round... Especially Winchester Super-X.

nope, chuck testa

>never killed a person
most likely they've never even held a firearm lol

its not true tho. there were several stories about it happeneing, but they were inflated and in the cases where they did go to court it was thrown out or the criminal lost.

also, straight up killing someone in your home doesn't get you off the hook. if the intruder was unarmed and you cannot demonstrate malicious intent, you can still get in trouble for straight up killing him. the argument is, what happens if you left your front door unlocked and a car crash victim, dazed and confused, stumbled into your home looking for help and you just kill him outright?

I think they're a blast!!

>asking 12yo's about guns

You want /k/

own a remington 870 Mag Ex. 14in barrel, ati stock with pistol grip and wood pump.

Love the shit out of it

Forgot pic

well the box they came in says #4 buck on it but Idk man you're probably exactly right

>14in barrel,
Effectively a blunderbus.
And illegal where I live. Minimum barrel length is 18" here.

dont you have to register that?

SPAS12

Canadian here. Seeing all of you with your guns makes me jealous and sad :(

Never a big fan, always had a thing for rifles and pistols. Regardless, I guess it is one hell of a gun for home defense...the pump action noise is probably enough to get most intruders running without the need to shoot a shot. They're cheap, got one for about 150. Got into hunting a year later and picked up a rifled barrel for 220 (more than the gun, I know). The thing is a beast and accurate as fuck with Sabot rounds. Good all around weapon for home defense and hunting.

Sorry bud, I feel ya. I've noticed that states with large animals (bears, wolves, et cetera) usually have more relaxed gun laws in the states, I figure Canada would leave some room for legal owners with bears and shit running around.

Nigger, I'm jealous of YOUR importation market. You guys can own short barrel shotguns with little restrictions and you can still get Chinese and Russian weapons, albeit no AKs because liberals.

hahahaha i wish, even pepper spray is illegal to carry here