Hey programmers of Sup Forums

Hey programmers of Sup Forums
I'm trying to advance my programming skills, I would like to think I know quite a bit, with PHP, MySQL, and Java.
Any suggestions pls?

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.io/
laracasts.com/series/laravel-5-fundamentals
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

udacity.com is the best you can have for free. And books, of course.

Thanks user I have used Udacity and a few others. What languages you know?

>think I know quite a bit, with PHP, MySQL, and Java.
>Any suggestions pls?
or
>>>/suicide/
whichever comes more naturally

C, Java and a little about php, javascript and c#. Use this to get the books you need -> libgen.io/

Don't listen this fag. Sup Forums does not know anything about computers.

>C
Well C is nice and all for a start but i don't think it's really relevant on the long run. Most companies are currently swapping to higher languages, typically C++ which is what i'd suggest.

And in case it's not obvious: Do a little C before you get into C++, objects and all that can be confusing enought all by themselves.

In the main this is correct, but I've seen some pretty decent advice in their webdev and programming generals if you ignore the haskell shills.

>libgen.io/
Thanks for this

I was going to ask what companies are looking for and you answered that in this post thanks

kiss my ass

People still use PHP?

yes I use it for web development?

>not using node.js or python or ASP.net
weird

It all depends on what you do.

Right away I would mention that you know MySQL but do you have a DB with triggers, procedures and automatic backups? Do you know some of the differences between distributions(MariaDB vs Oracle SQL)

Java has a LOT of thing especially with Lambdas on 8 and now I haven't seen the changes on 9. Still, frameworks and API's are king here. Have you built any API's? If I mention JDBC, Hibernate, Spring(especially boot) do you understand them and can implement them?

To further your knowledge, as much as I hate it...JavaScript is strong in the market and only getting stronger. Start with Javascript, move to AngularJS, and skip Angular 2 and learn Angular 4 right away.

Talking about all of these, what platform are you using? A bit of Unix goes a long way ;D

Let's keep going with AWS. Create EC2's and RDS's and you are farther ahead that most developers right now.

Why stop here? Go look into DevOps and learn how to set up a CI/CD environment...I like Jenkins...and learn the variety of technologies that go along a pipeline.

Is that what you use then?

>filename
>LOGo

>A bit of Unix goes a long way ;D
I run a Ubuntu server right now which is good practice.

>DB with triggers, procedures and automatic backups? Do you know some of the differences between distributions(MariaDB vs Oracle SQL)
This I am going to have a look at, because admittedly I'm not too sure on this.

>Java has a LOT of thing especially with Lambdas
I have never used frameworks or API's in Java, nor made my own, this is something I will look into.

>JavaScript is strong in the market and only getting stronger. Start with Javascript, move to AngularJS, and skip Angular 2 and learn Angular 4 right away.
I've been learning JavaScript recently. Is this something you would recommend then?

Thanks for your reply.

Lemme check WordPress' CMS market share...
Yup, still huge.

DO'S

1. **Learn Linux** - No serious person uses Windows as a dev environment except .NET developers for enterprise work... and this is also not a great place to get stuck working.

2. Learn the C family of languages. If you learn Java and C++ you will also basically know C# and Objective C. Plain C is still used for a lot of Linux development, but it's increasingly being eschewed in favor of C++ which actually allows you to write code in any paradigm you choose.

3. Learn Python... you can do pretty much anything and everything in Python. Keep in mind that it's completely different than C... but that's also its strength.

DONT'S

3. Avoid Web Development/shit-tier programming that goes obsolete every damn year and pays very badly. If you have to learn any web related languages learn Ruby and Node.js

4. PHP is a garbage language that's being phased out due to it's utter shittieness. It's also a garbled mess like Perl and won't help you learn real languages.

5. Don't bother with functional languages like Haskel unless you're forced to learn it in some Comp Sci program. Nobody uses this shit in real life... ever.

6. Learn your algorithms and data-structures - this is the type of thing that gives you a much more in depth understanding of good programming. Likewise this is also the type of thing that "self taught" or "bootcamp taught" developers don't learn and also why they write trash code.

7. Once you are comfortable with C based languages, learn x86 assembler... and reverse engineering. This separates the men from the fucking casuals.

>JavaScript is strong in the market and only getting stronger. Start with Javascript, move to AngularJS, and skip Angular 2 and learn Angular 4 right away.
>I've been learning JavaScript recently. Is this something you would recommend then?

Big time. Right now we are having an issue as developers. The beautiful pillar of abstraction codes most things for us and UI/UX designers are on the rise. Not only that JavaScript has a huge backing with hundreds of new frameworks that do all kinds of cool stuff...the only part is getting past the yucky javascript.

Good Luck OP! Our field is fun and it ain't easy but that's what makes it so rewarding.

Lol, yeah stay away from perl. I don't need competition running the goddamn world.

I'm not going to argue that php isn't a garbage language, but it is used by a ton of websites.

I am in the process of learning Linux now. I've been using it a while for Web development, running seedbox etc but I haven't really gone past using the basic commands.

You say about avoiding web development/shit-tier programming. Does this really pay badly considering how many websites are in use today?

>6. Learn your algorithms and data-structures - this is the type of thing that gives you a much more in depth understanding of good programming. Likewise this is also the type of thing that "self taught" or "bootcamp taught" developers don't learn and also why they write trash code.
Have you any decent resources for learning algorithms and data structures? Thanks.

That's great thanks.
Can you suggest any good resources for learning JavaScript/Angular?

Mostly Node, some shell scripting, the occasional pinch of C. DB-wise, learn PostgreSQL. It's a lot more like the rest of the SQL world than mySQL derivatives.

I thought user was interested in programming. Sure, mom and pops everywhere love them some WP and I've recommended it myself to some people, but only because I literally do not want to hear from them every time they have a content change to make. Anything more demanding than a local restaurant web site ought to consider something heavier-weight.

True, but maintenance work is pretty crap and it's easy to get stuck in it.

>x86 assembler
nah, not unless you're really into self-bondage..

There are some free MIT courses on the topic, iirc.

Perl is about 60% of the reason for the infosec market... thanks faggot

I've got literally hundreds of programming books I've collected over the years in .pdf ... I just tend to collect them from torrents and use them as needed.

Basically pick whatever language you want to learn... and google "Data Structures and Algorithms torrent" you should find tons.

I enjoy programming in Python the most because it's much easier and you end up typing less code.
Javascript is pretty hot right now due to all of those frameworks and node js on the back end.

It's also the bedrock of AWS and a million other parts of the internet. And C is the main reason for the infosec market.

There are decent front ends for js, like LiveScript, that restore the concise, indentation-significant syntax of Python and friends. Vanilla ES2017 is pretty concise all its own, what with fat arrow functions and such.

>4. PHP is a garbage language
yeah
>that's being phased out
nah. PHP's here to stay, whether you/we like it or not. On the other hand, it's so fucking easy to write, it's disgusting.

>C is the main reason for the infosec market

Lolk... because all of those outrageously large data thefts that have been occurring are due to faulty systems code... nope.jpg GTFO

Heartbleed? Christ you are retarded.

>nah. PHP's here to stay, whether you/we like it or not. On the other hand, it's so fucking easy to write, it's disgusting.
It's in a precarious position, just waiting for another platform to get a killer app and some better hosting options. WP is one of the few reasons left to install it.

>still using a project initiated to help some noob learn C
>in internet-facing production code

try internet bedrock code. when you spin up a droplet, think of me, since i'm making that shit work.

Is PHP really that bad then?

yes

> (You)
>There are some free MIT courses on the topic, iirc.
Thanks

I was thinking of OpenSSL, but sure thing

take this laracasts.com/series/laravel-5-fundamentals

>Learn Python
You would be laughed out of Sup Forums for saying this.