Fermi's paradox

Fermi's paradox...
where are they??

Other urls found in this thread:

arizonaexperience.org/land/az-habitats
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ayy lmao

Space.

Nowhere. Evidence is on par with a God. If you think God is stupid and think aliens are fact you are retarded.

are you implying the entire universe was created, and only the man was created as "intelligent life"?

judging by the pathetic brouhaha of the Fake Media and the POTUS being a slave to Jews, I'm not sure anymore about that "intelligent"

Are you implying that you have even the slightest shred of evidence that ETs exist?

we are a total fluke...just happend to be in the right place at the right time for life to be created,,there are too many variables that are impossible to get recreated somewhere else

the basic assumption of the Fermi paradox is that we would be allowed to know.

how can it be impossible when there are near infinite places and times.

i don't believe in ufo and etc they're most likely just the governments trying out new stuff

If we'd never know about them they don't exist anyway. It's like any theory based on solipsism.

>if you think something that violates the laws of physics is stupid but you think something that doesn't violate the laws of physics and we've already seen at least one example of isn't stupid then you are retarded

???

Where the aliens at tho? Show me aliens. I don't know any aliens. I have been studying aliens for 10 years and I haven't found and proof of aliens. Aliens are aliens so we can't know if there are aliens because aliens are aliens. What makes an alien an alien is that they are alien to us because aliens are aliens. I thought I lived next to an alien one time but I was wrong because it was just my fat neighbor with a weird skin condition that made her skin green, but that's besides the point. Aliens are aliens because they are alien.

>be me
>able to move around
>troll everyone - humans and animals - wherever I go
>for the lulz, roflmao topkek zozzling

Where are they? They are carefully observing us, waiting for humanity to mature.

Judging by the way things have been going, it wont be for another century, perhaps more.

Straw meng. Clearly referring to the fact that there's no evidence for either.

The biggest hole i find in the Drake equation is the one involving the subset of planets that could support life that actually do. The fact is, we have absolutely no empirical data that allows us to put a value on that variable in a responsible way. We know of precisely one world on which life has existed, and the rest is largely guesswork. Fill in that one Drake blank with a zero, and the entire equation collapses to zero too.

But that's the straw man argument. It's a false equivalence. One is demonstrably impossible, the other isn't.

>be alien, living in an area sweeped by the Hubble space telescope
>draw a gigantic penis a few moments as Hubble takes a pic
>Earthlings stunned, NASA planning mission to check that Space Penis out

do the rats have mutual relations with the lab technicians?

Somewhere, but the universe is too big.

not it

Do you know what Fermi Paradox even is?
It's the fact that we're almost 100% certain extraterrestrial life should exist, yet we can't find any.

The most plausible reasoning behind this is that there's something called the Great Barrier--the idea that life does frequently occur, yet something stops evolution 99.99% of the time

It could be the realization of e=mc^2 or getting past the microbe stage

All around us. Warp Drives are an actual technology we just haven't be able to obtain yet, so a more advanced civilization absolutely will have FTL travel solutions. The trick though is that there are so many fucking stars and moving at those speeds results in so much being missed that the chances of aliens bumping in to us is extremely low.

There's also the possibility that there is a galactic community of races that already knows about us but doesn't make contact until we can prove that we are capable of not nuking eachother to extinction before we can achieve our own solution to FTL travel and set up a basic interstellar presence in our local star cluster.

Either way, they're out there, in our galaxy, and it's only a matter of time before we achieve the ability to join them.

Show me evidence that God is impossible (other than logical conjecture), and I'll suck your dick.

They have eyes and are probably generally uncomfortable.

nope...thats some skinny indian dude with a rare deasese ( hydrocephaly) and a skin problem

1) Organic life is just a stepping stone towards a more advanced technology based intelligence.

2) Organic life evolves into technology based life before it has the means to communicate between the stars.

3) Technology based lifeforms are essentially immortal and have zero interest in mortal organic lifeforms.

Essentially, we're kind of irrelevant. All super-intelligent lifeforms are immortal, the true residents of the galaxy. Organic mortals are just tenants, passing through. Only immortal lifeforms have a stake in the game because they have to live with the consequences of their impact on the cosmos.

So: Organic life will not develop interstellar communication or travel before without first evolving into a technologically based lifeform. At which point they lose interest in communicating with primitive organic lifeforms.

I think one of the problems is that people have this idea that advanced aliens would have this massive population and an interest in exploration.

Reproduction is a drive of biological organisms on earth, not some kind of necessity. Hell, even on earth, imagine that we developed the technology to exist as purely digital/robotic lifeforms that could never die. Would multiplying really be a priority? Unlikely.

If you're not reproducing, you're probably not lacking for resources. So what would be the point of expanding your civilization beyond some sufficient distribution to ensure survival against some kind of planetary/solar level cataclysm? Probably not much. Star Trek adventures aside, the real universe is probably pretty repetitive and after you've observed enough of it there's probably not much merit in exploring ultra distant rocks.

And people should be glad we haven't met any aliens. I can assure you that any sufficiently advanced civilization would not value "diversity". Any life would be seen as a potential threat to be eliminated.

They're probably hiding from the terrifying paperclip maximizer that's either too far away or too big for us to see.

...but we cant 'talk' to them, know their societal structure from the inside or how they do math...the second assumption of paradox assumes this information would have some value to them. odds are if they could make it here, they would already know these kind of things.

>be NASA
>receive alien civilization message
>message says: "it was Killary to sell our uranium to Russia"
>NASA officers say aliens don't exist
>tfw

nope..shooped ..heres original

arizonaexperience.org/land/az-habitats

Don't you think its a high possibility that it could be both and they go hand in hand

oh so the photo never actually existed?

This. Bacteria doesnt know its being watched. An ant farm doesnt know its in a box

No you idiot
You can't prove god exists
We don't have to provide proof of non existance of something that has no proof it exists in the first place
Aliens on the other hand are easy to prove, if we exist, other life in the universe could be out there even if we haven't seen it yet

sorta

noooo..it did..the alien is a greyish color ..i didnt save it then and i regret it now

He said bl no logical conjecture

So I guess the Westboro Baptists have it right when they say God is malevolent then.

fuck man that sucks

aaaaand there it is

its a hair on the lens

that's it? word so I did have it. nice. I wonder what the real scoop is on it

what?

What happens when ded?

on the darkside of the moon

I wouldn't be surprised if life is somewhat common in the universe but intelligent life is probably rare. It took the Earth billions of years to develop one species of intelligent life out of untold billions of other species. If intelligent life really is rare in, then it's very probable that humans may never meet another form of intelligent life.

One other thing is the time scale of the universe. Human civilization has been around for at least 6,000 years, but that's nothing compared to the 13 something billion years of the universe. It seems likely that two intelligent species are unlikely to exist close enough during the same period of time.

My guess is that there is at most 1 intelligent species per major galaxy at any given time. And just because one is intelligent doesn't mean they'll achieve meaningful space travel.

Hairs outside a space shuttle
Good point kiddo

Delete this

Nigga they unda my bed rn

you cant tell either way if its inside or outside

kek what an ignoramus.
Look at the Indian man, everyone.

that's a prop for a movie I'm pretty sure

Ooo wow another Indian man.

human agn?

My point.
user said the thing in the pic was an Indian man with a disease.

oh lol

And it's actually a woman in a costume for the x files.

9jn

oh neat. fuck Netflix for getting rid of the X-Files

i think the possibility its a deformed man is more than of it being an alien..that was my train of thought ..you glow in the dark faggot

Fermi went purely off the Drake equation which calculated the number of civilizations capable of making contact with us
not the number of civilizations near enough to make contact with us
mainly because it did not account for the inverse square law of energy emission or the possibility of a better interstellar communication medium than radio waves

Right? I almost finished it but they chucked it a couple days before I could.

One of the following statements must be true:

1. Intelligent life is rare
2. Intelligent life will destroy itself shortly after emerging
3. We are not that interesting
4. FTL traveling is impossible

I'd go for 3 and 4

Who the fuck said it's an alien?

i dunno.....maybe the fact that its posted in a thread about aliens,and shit??? duh

>yfw there are 1400 stars within 50 light years of the solar system

You might have a mental disability. I even said it was a girl from x files.

if there are any out there who are wayyyyy more advanced than us,should they not have found ways to make all that distance betwen stars virtually zero?? and dont gimme that they are ttoo advanced to bother with us,,to a scientist everything is worth studying..

>yfw you only need to transmit a signal strong enough to be intelligible at 10ly to sustain an interstellar civilization
>yfw there are only 12 stars (not star system, but total stars including all 3 in the Centauri system) within 10ly of us

I think earth is a very rare planet. Precisely in the habitable zone. Filled with water. And even more rare is the fact that earth is actually a double planet. The moons wards of so much threats for us.

there is no god son

i didnt read that part ass munch

why would they come to this fucked up shithole.... Earth is in the appendix neighbourhood of the galaxy...

I bet you have a lot of good friends in your life, buddy.

yes i do...now blow me

>universe has existed for almost 14,000,000,000 years
>humans have been around for 100,000 years

The chances that an intelligent civilization exists in the same time-frame as us and close enough to see/communicate with us is too small. There have probably been hundreds of civilizations that thrived, explored/colonized their galaxies, and died thousands of years before we ever existed.

(1/3)

>Fermi's paradox...
>where are they??

I've got a theory about this that I've never heard anyone else put out there, so maybe it's crazy, but this is what I think.

First, I'll start with a couple of premises that I think are reasonable:

1) Once you develop civilization to a technological level, information processing - things like computers and networking - become so valuable that they seem almost inevitable, given enough time. Certainly, to navigate space travel, something like computers become necessary. Since organisms don't start out with computers, to reach space travel, a tendency toward technological advancement becomes necessary.

2) Organisms on earth have developed in a way that seems completely reasonable in the process of getting complex organisms. Life started as extremely simple organisms that were little more than complex molecules. That which would compete the best for resources are those which are capable of becoming more - for example, it is theorized that eukaryotes are from the symbiotic combination of large, single-celled organisms with more simple organisms that came to function and reproduce within them, to the benefit of both. We see evidence of this with the mitochondria in our own DNA. Among these, a strategy for becoming more capable was to build colonies, where different single-celled organisms could specialize and function as one organism. These eventually led to multi-celled organisms, growing ever more complex. Eventually, complex creatures build strategies for social hierarchies, allowing more complex specialization, functioning again as a larger organism in some sense. This continued on to humans, who could do this at a level never before seen on Earth. We not only formed tribes, we formed language and writing and ways of making the works of one person to serve a function to the tribe over generations and across vast spaces...

(2/3)

To sum up the second premise, it seems that the path to civilization-capable, complex creatures is that simple organisms combine and specialize individually, while more and more functioning as one greater whole organism. And each stage of reaching more complex organisms took less time than the last.

So, the question is, are human-level organisms the end result of this process? Do all our organelles, cells, organs, individuals, communities lead to our civilizations and stop there before we go out to colonize and conquer the stars? Well, if you think about what's going on in premise 1, I think there is evidence that it is not. We are still in that ongoing process. How so?

Look at the internet. Look at the 'internet of things', where we connect more and more of every day life to each other via information. Look at our massive super computers and how we use them on big data in more and more ways. We are building a nervous system for the whole planet. Look at the progress we are making in deep learning, where AI, which could be connected to countless other information processessing functional devices, is becoming intelligent. We are the stem cells of a greater organism to come, which will be smarter and more capable than any one of us, than any of our civilizations. The next step, the inevitable step of advancement of life toward intelligence and technology, is a planetary organism. It will rule nature as we never could. It will accomplish its goals, most of which will be more complex than we could understand, with abilities we'd hardly be able to comprehend. We are much closer to that reality than we are to being able to travel to other stars. And we've only been a technological civilization recognizable from space for a couple centuries, sending out radio signals and such for a century or so. Our stage is a blip on the radar.

Three options:

-We are the first intelligent civilization and will eventually be able to simulate reality 100% accurately where more intelligent civilizations will form and eventually simulate reality.

-A civilization before us was able to simulate reality and we are living in that simulation.

-It is impossible to 100% accurately simulate reality.

How does a multistellar civilization die out anyway? Maybe humans are advanced but incapable of fully wiping ourselves out unlike most other intelligent species.

(3/3)

Planetary life (or something greater) is more likely to rule the stars than something like us. Yet we keep looking for creatures like ourselves, civilizations that would give off signals like our own. We are amoebas looking at humans and not understanding what the hell we're seeing.

Have a nice day, friend. Good luck with your reading and such.

thanks faggot,you too

galaxies only formed 8.8 billion years ago

Maybe we're actually one of the very first intelligent species.

If they fail the crisis of nihilism and end up going Universe 25.

I thoroughly enjoyed your theory. Thanks for your time :)

God is way less likely

>Illogical almighty being that violates our understanding of the laws of physics. He created time, and should be able to see the future, but somehow gets surprised and angry when someone has /homosex/

or

>Literally something just vaguely like us, somewhere in an unimaginably huge place

I worry every day that humans are actually the most advanced species in the universe. Or that brains actually are the densest storage medium possible.

In other dimensions of the multiverse where evolution took a different turn (in some dimensions life never happened at all).

Even if there are extra-terrestrials the distances are too great for us ever to find a trace of them.

and still you can't prove either so they are equally fictional
outer space = science fiction

Dark Forest Theory