??!!Spoon Punching Edition!!??

??!!Spoon Punching Edition!!??

Post snippets using clyp.it OR instaudio.

--------------

Comfy /prod/ - Your local /prod/uction server... On Discord!
discord.gg/G44TWEu

---------------

Sup Forums /Production/ Resources:

>Mixing and Mastering:
! ESSENTIAL Mixing Masterclass with Bob Power: youtu.be/cHxMsawJsTc
Mixing Engineers Handbook: mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz: mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU
Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle: mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

>Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

>Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/xlsj21mt
clyp.it/1lnjm4tj
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>??!!Spoon Punching Edition!!??
>he thought this was funny

>discord

>no last thread

i hope you're proud

Can somebody please explain how the multiband compressor in ableton "Colors" the sound"

i didn't understand the debate but it looks like you'd have to be pretty anal to do anything more complicated for processing a particular frequency band?

>/PR0D/ IS DEAD

bump boy

why do i get banned from every /prod/ discord

you dared to speak the truth

Not sure if this allowed, but I have two axis 9 cdj tables I'm trying to sell. Anyone interested? I used them for a bit doing loops and edgy noise-scapes.

I'm looking for a keyboard that is analog, isn't expensive as shit and is modular. The modular part can be dropped off if it saves me a few hundred dollars.

I would be using it for bedroom production mainly. I was looking at the Korg Minilogue but not too sure.

i'm sorry but your post screams "i don't know what i'm talking about"

check out the ms20 mini

I'm gunna be building some homemade monitor stands tomorrow - anyone done this themselves, any advice?

What do you mean modular? Why do you want an analog synth?

Minilogue is not modular.

MS-20 mini is only semi modular. I wouldnt really recommend it as a first synth because it's monophonic and the many of them have issues with the noise osc leaking even though the volume is set to 0.

I wouldn't recommend it either but he mentioned modular :p

modular is a money sink for people who don't make music anyway

Yeah, I do agree with you that it seems he doesn't really have a clue what he's actually looking for in a synth.

I don't know shti, apologies for not being forthright with that. I want a synthesizer that'll be good for a beginner that has shit available to visually see what I'm doing to the sound while still having value beyond a novice introduction that I can use often.

The Korg Minilogue seems like it checks most of those boxes but I haven't seen much about them and the good folks on Sup Forums are usually more level headed and objective about things. I'd drop the modular tag then and just look for something that has great sound and a bunch of effects/modifiers.

This is the equivalent to talking about someone while they're standing next to you. Cringe.

How about the behringer model D

>modular is a money sink for people who don't make music anyway

I'm currently DIYing a modular (euro rack) system and I make plenty of music. Looking forward to building a few more modules to get it up and running, but getting plenty of use out of it in it minimal state too.

comments like yours are probably contributing to why /prod/ is dying out here broad assumptions on how people make or dont make music with whatever they have is pretty narrow minded. I've no idea why you are so salty about people owning modular gear but I can only assume (broad assumption here) you are jealous for some reason? If you and people like you kept their narrow minded comments to themselves and instead made positive comments here I'm sure these threads would thrive.

>good folks on Sup Forums are usually more level headed and objective about things

AHAHAHAHAHAA

minilogue looks solid desu, i'm not into hardware synths though

you must be new here :^)

Alright, cool

Your choice of synth depends on several factors.

Does it have to be analog or can it for example be virtual analog (if you know the difference)?

Does it have to be hardware or would you be okay with simply getting a good MIDI controller keyboard and use software synthesizers with it on your computer? Keep in mind that if you buy a hardware synth and want to use it to make sounds in your DAW, you also need a soundcard with good digital audio converters.

What kind of music would you use it for?

Does it matter whether it's monophonic (can only play one note at a time) or polyphonic (several notes at the time, so you can play chords and such)?

>Does it have to be analog or can it for example be virtual analog (if you know the difference)?
Yes, I know the difference and how important filters are. I love analog sound, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin and . I'm just a broke boy. If it's virtual I can make do if the keyboard is good.
>Does it have to be hardware or would you be okay with simply getting a good MIDI controller keyboard and use software synthesizers with it on your computer? Keep in mind that if you buy a hardware synth and want to use it to make sounds in your DAW, you also need a soundcard with good digital audio converters.
I'd be cool with just the keyboard. I have an Akai mpk mini mk.2 that's pretty cool. I don't have a soundcard however. Is there a decent one I can pick up for less than $100?
>What kind of music would you use it for?
Ambient, acid, downtempo, liquid funk, hip hop, post rock, shoegaze
>Does it matter whether it's monophonic (can only play one note at a time) or polyphonic (several notes at the time, so you can play chords and such)?
Polyphonic I think would be best considering there's a lot I want it to do.

Oh, my comment got cut off. Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Autechre and Stars of the Lid are some of my biggest influences.

How much money do you want to spend? Budget is a really big factor.

I've swayed to the modular (Eurorack) route as I can never decide what synth to buy. With a modular setup I can build a basic synth and if I want it to do something else or sound a certain way I can change that by adding another module. I guess building a basic synth with Eurorack modules is more expensive to start with but once you have the basics adding a module here and there is cheaper than buying another synth, plus it's much more versatile I think.

The issue is that if you buy an analog polysynth on a budget, you won't really get that sweet analog sound since the manufacturer has to save on components. Since you are on a budget you could either get a Korg Minilogue or a DSI Mopho.

If you already have an Akai MPK mini there's nothing stopping you from getting some software synths on your computer and start messing about. It's a good way to learn the basics of synthesis. Have you used any software synths?

For a soundcard, if you get a hardware synth you could probably go for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

clyp.it/xlsj21mt

shitty beat coming through
any opinions on how this sounds/ what I can improve on?

>Akai MPK mini there's nothing stopping you from getting some software synths
seconding this

there's no reason you can't get sounds like those guys with freebies (minus the random fuckery and tape sounds but eh)

>Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

scarletts are a meme and i'm still pissed that i got tricked into buying one -__________________________-

>finish my third attempt at a song
>muster the courage to share it with /prod/, the only people I trust to give honest criticism
>trying to upload on clyp
>wav file size too big
>oh well, will upload mp3 instead
>under that format, my synths, which didn't sound great to begin with, now sound 10 times shittier
>no longer want to post that trash

fugg :DD

post throwaways

clyp.it/1lnjm4tj

Will fix your synths faggot

if your shits loud you might be clipping

Percussion and guitar sound slightly out of sync, doesn't have good ear feel. Maybe change the pitch or make sure they're synced up.

The time it takes ableton to load/quit makes me want to neck myself

bro shut the fuck up stop acting like everything is a personal attack against you and you need to jump into maximum-defensive mode

you know damn well that 75% with expensive modular rigs are the "thousand-dollar fart noises" crowd and just use it to make shitty drones and shitpost it on youtube/gearslutz/vsf/muffwiggler

that's some phaser tier autism there, you better be careful user.

would be cool if it weren't so repetitive and you eq'd out the harshness

not a fan of the random talking sample

This general is terrible. I'm not kidding when I say Reddit is a better place to discuss production. Lmao. Peace losers.

does anybody actually disagree with this?

i come here to give feedback and meme, that's basically it. reddit is more circle jerky but doesn't have as many new producers throwing in their worthless two cents or people looking to argue

+people with actual credentials show up. the older crowd doesn't visit Sup Forums as much if it isn't obvious

>does anybody actually disagree with this?

only idiots

How do i master structure? I make a lot of cool sounds out of synths and samplers, but its very difficult for me to create big satisfying arrangements.

Structure is the order of the song (ababcb etc)

Arrangement is how you layer and arrange chords voicings melodies etc

Just got to listen for what a song needs more of, where to build and take out. Also make your synth patches sit in the song

Listen to good arangements and take notes on what's doing what