What does Sup Forums think of the Moody Blues? I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned on here

What does Sup Forums think of the Moody Blues? I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned on here.

They get mentioned from time to time
Really underrated IMO, one of the best of all time
Personally though, I always preferred In Search of the Lost Chord to Days of Future Passed

They get mentioned in the prog threads, Days of Future Passed is a pretty popular album.

I saw the BBC documentary "When Albums Ruled The World" and they went down the usual 60s British rock canon like the Beatles, Stones, Who, Cream, etc but the Moody Blues weren't mentioned at all. They were talking about important albums of 1966 and 67, but Days of Future Passed was just not mentioned, as if it did not exist.

It was a concept album, one of the first, if not the first progressive rock albums to receive reasonable success, and it flirted with psychedelia, something the documentary was trying to stress about other British bands. They were in a sense pioneers.

I just find it strange a patriotic media, such as the British, would dismiss such a band and album, whilst mentioning some that are less important and well known.

They were a really good prog/psychedelic band and then they went synth pop and shitty in the 80s.

One of if not the worst downfalls of a 60s/70s artist quality wise.

I was thinking about that, but doubt it would change anything. Just strange that The Animals, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, The Who and Led Zeppelin are always mentioned.

The failure to mention Sabbath also annoys me. When they did the history of British music at the Olympics and there was no Sabbath, I felt cheated. You'd think Britain would be proud they actually boomed the heavy metal movement.

The Moody Blues were too prog.

>The failure to mention Sabbath also annoys me. When they did the history of British music at the Olympics and there was no Sabbath, I felt cheated. You'd think Britain would be proud they actually boomed the heavy metal movement.

As we all know, music critics in the 70s hated heavy metal, they considered it loud, stupid caveman music. Even Led Zeppelin's debut got trashed in initial reviews, they were portrayed in Rolling Stone (an American magazine, but anyway) as a poor man's Cream or Jeff Beck. There's probably still ripples of that view for bands that epitomised heavy metal like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.

They always mention Pink Floyd though and they were pretty psychedelic pre-1973.

Floyd had one of the biggest selling albums in history, it's kind of hard to ignore them.

I love The Moody Blues, but they are a good candidate for the least cool of all the popular classic rock bands of their time. Even ELO are cooler.

My theory: They're not "progressive" enough for a lot of progfags, yet too grandiose for a lot of "pop" fans.

Despite the above, they were still hugely popular and people still love those songs. Critics don't like them though, so they get left out of the documentaries and the books.

>When they did the history of British music at the Olympics and there was no Sabbath, I felt cheated

Goodness, did you expect them to play Black Sabbath at the fucking Olympics?

Anyway, I think the Moody Blues are a little too bleeding heart honest for (especially) modern England.

They'll never get in the RRHOF because the critics never liked them. They're probably just too idiosyncratic for most critics' tastes.

Their music since DOFP has such a sense of seriousness and mystery that most critics just can't warm up to.

...and they cross genres.. a little baroque, prog, psyche, folk, rock..and etc. yet never selling themselves totally.

Real music lovers love the Moody Blues.

Moody Blues were cornball as fuck, sounded like 45 year olds when they were 25, and didn't come close to any of these bands for album sales.

Off the top of my head, what actual hits have you got? The pop one before they got serious....which I can't name off the top of my head....yes...'Go Now' then there's 'Nights In White Satin" which despite being tremendously melodramatic and corny was pretty good, and then 'Question' which was a bit of a chart botherer here in Australia.

I agree that they are ignored, I feel Blue Oyster Cult also suffered the same fate.

I can't believe Buck Dharma never makes any top 100 guitarist lists.

Are you implying that financial success = good music? Because plenty of good bands didn't even chart.

>Goodness, did you expect them to play Black Sabbath at the fucking Olympics?
They played the Sex Pistols who were as or edgier than Sabbath.

I'll never understand it either. Their first seven albums were amazing stuff. This band is so underrated it hurts.

I think it's because the Moodies are sort of the Neil Diamond(s) of prog. Almost everyone loves them, especially their initial run of albums but, even though they had a few good songs, most of their later stuff is dodgy. Still, fans still see them when they're in town and they usually put on a pretty good show. Just no one wants to admit that they're a fan.

I think it's got a lot to do with how the British music press was London-based and the Moody Blues, Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc were from up north. It's no different than the New York-based music press in the 70s which gave disproportionate attention to Lou Reed, Patti Smith, and the Ramones.

The Moodys sold lots of records and had plenty of fans in their day, but their approach to drugs and Eastern religion was offbeat; they didn't make enough waves to get critical attention. They were sort of the mellow longhaired musicians that floated through life unfeathered and unaffected by the times and politics. Therefore they raised little attention for the media to swell over.

Though ... tripping to an early Moody's album was an essential right of passage.

Birmingham isn't up in the north though, it's in the Midlands. On the other hand, Manchester bands like Oasis and Stone Roses have gotten somewhat more critical attention.

The Moodys were just too light and rooted in a sunny 60s world view. When the times called for cynicism, they didn't have it in them to adapt.

On the Threshold of a Dream [Deram, 1969]

Rod McKuen out of Ray Conniff with assists by Hugo Montenegro and Bob Crewe. Ugh. D-

Distinctions Not Cost-Effective [1970s]: In 1970, while under the influence of marijuana and my new Toyota, I bought "Question," which sure beats Mantovani, reportedly their greatest influence.

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

dis album es good desu

Anyone remember the scene in Love and Mercy where Brian and the gang go see the Moodys?

>Rod McKuen out of Ray Conniff with assists by Hugo Montenegro and Bob Crewe. Ugh. D-
Man what an amazing detailed critique I'm so glad he's considered one of the big critics.