Is Grohl aware that everyone sees him as nothing more than yet another generic buttrock artist whose success and...

Is Grohl aware that everyone sees him as nothing more than yet another generic buttrock artist whose success and notoriety is 100% attributed to his association with Cobain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pLdJQFTnZfA
youtube.com/watch?v=ifwc5xgI3QM
youtube.com/watch?v=TRqiFPpw2fY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

except for women in their late 40s and their kids. they see him as the last true savior or rock and roll.

whoa, he looks just like the drummer from nirvana

Reminder that the best thing he ever did was Songs for the Deaf.

Not conciously aware. But he feels it every time he has a bout of depression.

looks like the drummer from nirvana

His best work has always been behind the drum set, totally disassociated with the songwriting.

Don't forget his drumming on Killing Joke '03

Imo I'd prefer to hear "all you are is the drummer from Nirvana" than what you hear "all you are is a shitty teenager alone on Sup Forums on a Friday night"

Pic related see following post

He's so insulated from the real world and surrounded by yes men that I doubt it.

Foo Fighters are another boring bro band. Better off listening to Pearl Jam.

True. But is kinda sad that you could have done something better but when people think about you most of the time they just think about "the drummer from Nirvana".

There's nothing FF do that Clutch doesn't do better in every conceivable way.

Foo Fighters as a whole hasn't been even remotely culturally relevant since the mid 90s, and even then people just saw them as "that band with Nirvana's drummer."

I'd give Dave more credit if he had some range as a songwriter and knew how to do something other than grunge.

sad how he's not even the best drummer in post-grunge, Greg Eklund's work with Everclear is way better than almost all of Grohl's

FF are music for 40 year old office drones to listen to while working out on the treadmill; there's nothing remotely edgy or interesting about them.

I think that's my biggest problem with the band. They've had eight studio albums with a ninth on the way very soon and every single one is completely interchangeable.

That and his music tastes are plebian as fuck, he doesn't appear to know anything but entry-level classic rock.

This man said that Lorde was one of the best artists out today.

dave seems like a pretty nice guy and he sure does seem to be having fun making new music

I think he probably knows he isn't a terribly groundbreaking artist. To say his success is 100% due to Cobain isn't true. It helped that Grohl's rep from playing with Nirvana was so positive that it afforded him a lot of opportunities that other second bananas might not have had. However, Grohl has actual songwriting talent. It's not transcendent talent, but he has the "spark" somewhat.

The problem with Foo Fighters is that he didn't really surround himself with the talent that could have made his songs better, more interesting, more twisted. Kurt could have been this presence. I mean, Grohl could have made a band with pretty much anyone he wanted and he filled Foo Fighters with nobodies. Furthermore, he didn't really need them, because he could actually play all the instruments. I think he probably just liked the experience of being in a band and touring.

One part of me wants to say he wasted his talent, but if the guy's having fun with his life, whatever.

It's almost bizarre how Dave has such an eclectic and diverse taste in music yet sticks to the safest material possible for his own music. It's almost as if he's self-conscious of his abilities as a frontman and wants to play it safe. He even said in an interview that he was considering an experimental Radiohead-esque album, but scrapped it.

There Is Nothing Left to Lose has always been my favorite because it was a little more dissonant, less safe. Melodically interesting. Then he veered back in the middle.

Cobain was holding Dave back. Foos and QOTSA took things to the next level.

People still think "Beatles" (some probably even think "that guy who wrote Yesterday") when they think about Paul McCartney, let alone Ringo Starr whose solo career didn't turn out that great. And McCartney released a new album just four years ago. Some things just get big and you can't top it.

Like, at least Grohl has people thinking about him every now and again. No one creates threads on Sup Forums for Novoselic.

First two songs on Psychic Warfare are fucking amazing. It's a bit of a shame, because everything after has to measure up to [spoiler]FIREBIRDS![/spoiler]

Dave lacks influences: he has no sense of inspiration for true songwriting.

Technically, he is a great musician. However being surrounded by bandmate drones that agree with his every direction, coupled with the fact that he himself praises every other artist in the LA pop music sphere, disables him creatively.

He is the definition of a man who is just along for the ride. He most likely became lost in a creative sense after Cobain's unjust murder. I'm not sure life would have the same wonder for me either if my good friend / band lead was suddenly killed.

To be fair, Novoselic wasn't an above average musician like Grohl was, he was just Kurt's friend that turned out to be good enough for Nirvana's style (and honestly he's got the basic of bass pretty much on lockdown); and after Nirvana went on to... not do much.

>Dave lacks influences: he has no sense of inspiration for true songwriting
That is true. His music is just product--there's nothing personal to it and no real compelling need for him to do it.

Nirvana sucked anyway. Kurt probably killed himself out of embarrassment.

This. I see him as a hard rock drum God who needs to stick with drums.

He doesn't though

>coupled with the fact that he himself praises every other artist in the LA pop music sphere
There's the problem. He's afraid to offend anyone and that's not what a real artist does. Think about how Metallica used to shit on glam metal bands. You gotta be willing to talk trash sometimes. Otherwise you have no edge and therefore no interesting music.

>Nirvana sucked anyway.
at least explain why they suck

the first ff album blows everything else they've ever done out of the water, not that that's some tough thing to do, but dave does have some talent. he's just conformed too much to go along with his band members that are just their for the ride.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLdJQFTnZfA

Probably, but the ratio of people thinking he's awesome vs the people thinking he sucks is about 1000:1.

I used to love the Foos till I heard a member of a particilarly repulsive boyband loved them too. I felt raped inside.

Paul McCartney?

yeah, him too actually.

Best thing he has ever done was his work for With_Teeth

I unironically like and listen to foo fighters, athough their first album was allways seen as by far the best in my eyes enjoy every other album as well (especially there is nothing left to lose)

I totally understand why people view them as meme band or "boring" but for me they are easy to listen to, pretty good band, yes, nothing special but nothing bad

Sometimes people seem to hate them for anything but their music:
for example few weeks ago they made som cover of old popular song with a popular singer (i dont remember which song and which singer but maybe some of you remember)
Or even this thread kind of

7/10 i like them

Wow, it's almost as if you can't make a living playing "eclectic" music. That is if you haven't started decades ago and achieved relative success. I don't think you're surprised either.

My choice would be One by One, its just raw. Wasting Light first 3 songs blew me away and then the album became a waste, playing safe again.

Theyre a too safe band and at this point in life theres 0% chance Grohl decide to do something different.
Its a shame because hes friend with several GOOD talented musicians like Homme who could take the best, the best (lol) of him, like in SFTD

calling grohl buttrock is too kind. the only thing his tune make my butt wanna do is take a dump

The drumming on that album is superb, he really just needs to stick to drums

Grohl retired the moment Cobain kicked the bucket. In retirement, some people play golf, others buy an RV and see national parks. Grohl picked up an extremely lucrative hobby larping as a rock star.

I don't think he's too fussed about it.

Because he said so. Didn't you read?

mediocrity is profitable
the dude isn't trying too hard

how can one dislike grohl/ff?
newst two tunes for everyone who hasn't heard

youtube.com/watch?v=ifwc5xgI3QM

youtube.com/watch?v=TRqiFPpw2fY

i’m sure he’s real concerned about that op.

"Gay"ve Grohl man i heard that guy uses stretched out penises for guitar strings

I think he is aware that there are people who post retarded comments about him online, yes. I doubt he cares.