What is your experience with gaming laptops?

What is your experience with gaming laptops?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/MSI-GL62M-7RD-1407-Performance-SteelSeries/dp/B072QT88DG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510220276&sr=1-3&keywords=gtx 1050 laptop
amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-i5-7300HQ-GeForce-AN515-51-55WL/dp/B074Q54GSR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510217678&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx 1050 ti laptop
amazon.com/Zephyrus-Full-HD-Ultra-portable-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B071XDXLPG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510220924&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx 1080 laptop
notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-15-Power-i7-7700HQ-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.230382.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they suk balls

Heat is always an issie.

my current gaming laptop is actually not bad, it plays most things i have at high to ultra settings at 1080p

They're okay but not really practical. If you're someone who travels a lot, I could see a gaming laptop as something work looking in to. But if you don't travel around, it makes more sense to just have a desktop instead.

Awesome if you need a portable workspace and will constantly have a desk for it, don't expect to play it on your lap on the couch or anything because they a huge. They have a short shelf life because gpu getting outdated. If you want to get one make sure it has thunderbolt 3 so you can get an external gpu down the road when you need one.

I've had MSI and ASUS ROG laptops and they had amazing ventilation which is one of the main reasons they are so damn large.

Pretty terribad, they cook and run for about 2.5 mins without ac power which would be ok if they weren't also the equiv of a 5yr old desktop generally.

depends. good if you want a lap warmer and to pay premium price for a shitty foldable square.
if thats not what youre looking for then i suggest a desktop.

If you truly expect to game wherever you go on a regular basis go ahead and get one but don't expect more than 3ish years of usable life out of it at the most.

If you're like me you'll tell yourself you'd play games on the go but end up playing a handful of lighter things and do your primary gaming at home on the desktop. You can get decent non gaming laptops with dedicated GPU's in them that can handle mild to moderate stuff without the bulk and heat of a full on gaming laptop. That's what I would suggest.

Battery life, portability, and lifetime of it are the main things to consider. Would recommend Asus, MSI, and some of the newer Dells aren't bad.

>I've had MSI and ASUS ROG laptops and they had amazing ventilation which is one of the main reasons they are so damn large.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to laptop heat in my comment tbh but the heat of whatever it sits on, its pretty much mandatory to run them on a cooler/spacer

overpriced and underperforming. They are great white noise generrators and will keep your coffee warm from putting it nearby.

Ah Yeah the back vents on those bad boys can heat up a room.

mine only costed me 700 dollars and only weighs 5.3 pounds and is pretty good

True

What is it?

What rog model did you had?

I have one. It's not bad, but it's not great. If you don't need to travel, get a desktop instead.

this one:
amazon.com/MSI-GL62M-7RD-1407-Performance-SteelSeries/dp/B072QT88DG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510220276&sr=1-3&keywords=gtx 1050 laptop

But i would much rather reccomend this one as it gives about a +10 fps boost and an extra 2gb of vram for the same price:
amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-i5-7300HQ-GeForce-AN515-51-55WL/dp/B074Q54GSR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510217678&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx 1050 ti laptop

I have the MSI GT72VR 6RD and it has excellent cooling. I do run it on a cooling pad to be safe, but it runs fine without.

>gaming
>lapptop

What's the gpu config of first one? How many times did you drop it down your bed and all?

bazinga

config of the first one:
i5 7300hq
gtx 1050
8gb ddr4 ram
256gb m.2 ssd (highly reccomend adding a harddrive with that)
Full HD screen

I don't know what you mean by "drop it on my bed" but it's light enough to use it in bed(a little over 5 pounds

if you're gonna game you also need a real keyboard, and a mouse, and a decent monitor

what the hell is the laptop part for, other than paying a lot more to get mid-range (at best) hardware?

>"Drop it down my bed"

Does this laptop look midrange to you?

amazon.com/Zephyrus-Full-HD-Ultra-portable-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B071XDXLPG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510220924&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx 1080 laptop

What's the gpu config iditot

bad. they never run as well as you want them to.

they are fat, heavy, hot, loud, expensive and what do you get for it? being able to play a game for 3-4 hours on graphic setting lower then your home desktop.

sexual

How about you expand your question because clearly he didn't understand, nor do I. Are you asking if it has shared memory, where it sits in the case etc etc

It clearly states GTX 1050...

So what laptop do i go for? Does asus seems like the best brand to ya?

This is the one I have and highly recommend. MSI makes great laptops. The higher end ones are made by Clevo/Sager, the Bose of laptops.
www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72VR-6RD-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.173836.0.html

is my budget laptop decent for gaming?
playing witcher 3 on high with 60fps (ultra has 48-50fps)
specs
>rog gl553ve
>12gb ram
>i7 7700 (3.8ghz turbo)
>gtx 1050ti 4gb
>no ssd yet..

hey that's pretty good

how much was it and how is your general experience with it? Specs sound great although I decided to get a rog gl502vs with a gtx 1070 just yesterday for 1599€ (was once in a showroom). I think it might be worth it for future games.

What do you mean once in a showroom?

The exact exemplar I bought was once shown on a convention or in a showroom, giving it about 300€ discount from the price I'd paid for a brand new one (1885€)

Get anMSI laptop. Network Killer kills my network.. literally. Took me 2 days to get my router back to normal.
Crash, freeze, freeze, cant dl shit, crash. Issue refund, do a full reinstall. Go to click shut down "Windows had stopped working"
Put it in box and sent it back.

You're paying at least 1k more than you would for a self-made desktop with similar specs.

bump

>gaming
>laptops

the new pascal architecture has a similar amount of shaders and memory bandwidth at slightly lower clock speed for mobile compared to desktop

>$2700
My last gaming PC cost me $900. I could have built three of them for that price. Oh, but you can play call of duty on a train.

PCs can be twice as powerful for the same price if you make a custom build.

This

Fuck overpriced "gaming" laptops
They cost more
The battery wtf
Oh wow you can get robbed while playing games from last year on medium
Wheres your graphics card bitch?
Lets just open up that case and upgrade it cause its easy right?
Fuck laptops for gaming

they're all fucking shit

90% of them use nvidia gpus so they fuck with linux way too much

I have neither a gaming pc nor gaming laptop, but rather a normal laptop with a dedicated graphics card.
You might want to consider those an option as well, as decent ones can be found well under 700€ new. Obviously, gaming performance is limited, but unless you need absolutely need ultra 60fps in every game all the time, that may do. Another advantage is that, when you don't need the full gaming power, the battery can last a couple of hours. It's also not as big, heavy and hot, thus better for mobile use (casual gaming, office, internet...)
From the remaining money you could then get a decent desktop with much more power to normally game on.
Of course gaming laptops can be a viable options if you spend a lot of time away from home, yet not too busy to game. Just don't expect it to get used much in university for example. You'll be busy there most of the time anyways (or should be). And when you're not you're probably home and can use a desktop.
It all boils down to what you need from the machine.

I own an ASUS. One of the best purchases I ever did in my life.

It never heats even in summer, pretty decent price.

If you got the cash to buy both fucking do it, its nice having the portability and when more power is needed you can use the tower.

They work fine but i'm always worried about the hardware heating up too much

However, if you don't push the laptop too hard and just casually game on it it's comfy

Not him, but im considering buying a gaming laptop because i spend a lot of my time traveling the world and i like to play games when i have spare time.
I have a desktop at home, but needs must when you actually have a life.

If you got the cash maybe...
I would rather just focus all that moola into the beast ass pc at home than the laptop tbh...
I dont see myself gaming in public

Virgins with no friends detected.

True, I don't really use my laptop for gaming in public either, but its really useful for just youtube and shit, bringing it to friends houses and so forth, I needed to buy the laptop for school so went with a "gaming" laptop instead of a regular shit stain that I will only use for school.

notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-15-Power-i7-7700HQ-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.230382.0.html

What about this?

Um no.
They have the best cooling.

fucktard detected

10 Years ago, yea.

>only one external monitor at a time
>only 3 USB connectors
Why do manufacturers keep doing this shit...

Mmmhh yes I can smell your charred butthurt from here.

M8 you are an idiot and in denial.

Yes yes, I'm an idiot, but Indo have the money to buy gaming laptops and I have friends to hang out. You keep yourself to your mom' basement flaming and raging at online games.

I got an Lenovo y50-70 about 3 years ago. I'm trying to find a good benchmark to give you a good recommendation, but I'm not playing most modern games. Warframe and WoW run really good and I have some small stutters on low graphic settings in The Division. Maybe that helps?
It's getting quite hot (use a cooling pad) but overall runs really well.

i have a hard enough time not fat-fingering a normal keyboard, and i'd think it'd be more difficult to clean.. plus small screen.. technology-wise im pretty sure they are the same, but seem more expensive if you can just build your own tower.

I dont have a pc. I live in africa. I need food and water

what will you put into these USB connectors?
- a mouse
- a usb-headset
- there is still one port available to stick your dick in it

If you use an additional keyboard and other shit like a HDD, you can just use a hub, maybe on the USB C port?

You are a meme.

They are stupid. Battery life sucks and its like putting a grill on your lap

the 16 GB RAM and the 1 TB HDD for storage sounds great, but the graphics card only has 2 GB of dedicated VRAM. I suggest you should look into benchmark tests comparing the 1050 with 2 and 4 GB before buying, also considering that future games tend to need a lot of VRAM (Xbox One X and PS4 pro have 8-12 GB (shared) VRAM, why optimize your games then?)

right now I have two external hdds, a flashdrive, a mouse and a keyboard connected to my laptop. That is the usual setup.
Hubs are shit when you need to attatch more than a mouse and a keyboard, as they run out of power quickly. And there's hardly any usable and affordable USB-C hardware available. At least I've not seen any in local shops.
This trend of removing ports for better looks and cheaper price is going on my nerves...

Kill yourself already

Extremely uncomfortable to game on, sweaty hands errywhere. Gaming performance is also rather low for the price you're paying. Get mid-range laptop so you can play mobas and CS on it and wait till you have 1.5k for a stationary pc and build it and overclock it if you want to play better looking titles like Witcher or Doom.

My laptop (MSI Leopard, 1-2k dollars) broke down 25-30 months after I bought it, they didn't stock replacement parts and told me to bin it. I had to get a new laptop, which cost me more than the replacements would have for any other pc and I still couldn't game on my new pc. Due to a low income stream I waited for more than a year to begin gaming again.

>Gaming on a laptop

NOT. EVEN.ONCE

I get what you are saying about the trend, although I would consider 3 USB A + 1 USB C port not the worst of the worst (looking at you, MacBook).
You can get a USB C Hub with 4 USB A 3.0 ports for about 20$ and a Port with also SD Cardreader and HDMI for about 40$.
Would you consider your set-up portable? Sounds like you could profit from a docking station.

I have a MSI and it works really well

For portability I only take the mouse. It is possible to fit everything in a normal laptop-bag though, but usually there's no reason to take the HDDs.
Also, while 20$ isn't that much for a hub, the USB2 hub I'm using most of the time just cost a tenth of that. It's not particularly great, but for mouse, keyboard and printer it's enough.

i got the one with only white leds... jelly

Got an MSI 120hz. 1080p cost me 950 on CL 17inch
Runs like a dream. Battery is only for 3 hours though.

No cooling pad or anything

I use them to grill the infidels. Works great.