ITT: Albums that were ruined by the way they were mastered

ITT: Albums that were ruined by the way they were mastered.

Starting with an obvious pick.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6kqTcLwUYj8
ia802502.us.archive.org/34/items/05ShortestStrawMetallicaAndModerusForAll/05 - Shortest Straw - Metallica - And Moderus for All.mp3
spin.com/2017/08/metallica-and-justice-for-all-horrible-sound-producer-interview/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not st anger

pleb

I never understood this. Album sounds fine to me.

The bass is literally inaudible.

It was Lars again. He wanted the mixing guy to turn down the bass. James was ok with it apparently.

It's always fucking Lars

Cool. I like drums and guitars.

no, the obvious pick is death magnetic

there are fan remasters out there
youtube.com/watch?v=6kqTcLwUYj8
but tbph, newstead's bass playing isn't all that great to listen to.

RHCP - Californication
Black Sabbath - 13

The mastering was okay on Justice, it was the mix that was awful.

it gives the album an extremely unique and brutal sound i actually like it

Oh, you like dynamic range? Well FUCK YOU

Loudness Wars casualty #8793458725

I'd disagree with that. Removing the bass guitar from other metal albums won't make them sound like Justice. And having audible bass doesn't prevent Justice from sounding like Justice:

ia802502.us.archive.org/34/items/05ShortestStrawMetallicaAndModerusForAll/05 - Shortest Straw - Metallica - And Moderus for All.mp3

To me, this does not take away from the album's unique sound, it enhances it by replacing some of the flabby low end of the guitars with Jason's bass track (also EQ'd to give it a tighter sound). It's only a subtle change in sound (not like most fan-made versions), but it's more focused and more full this way. I think the album should have sounded like this.

Of course that's going to sound bad. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets would sound like shit if you cranked the bass up that loud too.
Also, only Blackened, Shortest Straw, and Dyers Eve have Jason's bass tracks on them. The rest of those are overdubbed by some fan.

I remember Rick Rubin's recording of Johnny Cash performing "Hurt" clips so bad I only willingly listened to it once. Was it ever fixed?

well definitely the original bowie mix, but luckily the iggy remix saved the album.
Although to be fair, bowie was given like a day or two to master the album because the studio
didn't like the original one

James and Lars just did it to fuck with Jason

Granted, Stranger than fiction (-94) is the last album with a genuinely interesting production, but this one is a shitfest of over compression.

The bonedry, clinical production is precisely the reason why I like the album so much. Compared to all the production techniques that were used in 80s metal and date it to that period, Justice actually sounds quite meaty in comparison. The production also goes well with the political themes. It seems to me that only bassists dislike the sound of the album. I like my bass in music too but Justice sounds perfectly fine and unique the way it does. I like unique production in metal. Mastodon's Remission is another favorite of mine. The original, rustic production make the riffing sound pre-historic, like it was recorded a long, long time ago. The 2015 remaster absolutely botched the production.

I actually think more audible bass would have worked out worse. AJFA sounds a lot more dead and desolate than previous Metallica albums, and I think the lack of bass has a big part to do with that.

it is time to invest in some speakers or headphones - shit sounds like a fucking transistor radio or some free pair of novelty headphones shaped like Spongebob or some shit

it is really hard for me to understand how anyone who has heard a rock/metal band of pretty much any style play live would find ...And Justice For All to sound acceptable or much less desirable as some people appear to do

fucking intolerable flat sounding trash mixing

This literally hurts to listen to
Fucking kvltfags

Almost any nu metal album from the late 90s-early 2000s was ruined by brickwalling.

The difference is that AJFA is a good album, no one gives a shit about St. Anger.

wut? compared to similar music from that period that album sounds awesome

sure, it would probably sound better with a more organic, live band sound since there's some good musicians playing anyway, but far from ruined

All this time I thought I was just listening to shitty quality versions of it, is it really the original recording that's fucked? If so, way to kill a fucking swan song.

>fucking intolerable flat sounding trash mixing

Way too show your ignorance on how the album was actually produced. The only thing that caused the unique sound was the microphone placement, not the mixing. The mixing only turned down the bass. It's still my favorite Metallica album to play at loud volumes. It sounds like a heartless killing machine.

The approach to the sound and production works way better than the echoey, tinny sound of their other 80s material.

All the early Judas Priest albums sound like they were recorded on a portable cassette player.

"dead and desolate" but not in a better way :D

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but in retrospect I think the black album has a much better sound than the 80's Metallica albums and part of it's popularity with a larger audience at the time was that it actually sounded better.

Note the one thing both 13 and Californication have in common...

there's a really recent article where the producer details how the bass was killed in mixing process and how that affected the sound of the drums and all that and I do really claim that the album in general sounds like a fucking pancake due to that and not "mic placement"

spin.com/2017/08/metallica-and-justice-for-all-horrible-sound-producer-interview/

>"dead and desolate" but not in a better way :D

I think it goes well with the bleak political lyrics.

>I think the black album has a much better sound than the 80's Metallica albums

If I'm not mistaken, it's the most expensive album ever produced, or one of the most expensive at 1 million dollars. It's also all analog. The production on the black album is potent and meaty as fuck, the drums sound otherworldly and actually compliment Lars' lacking technical skill, so yeah, of course it's the best produced Metallica album that's not even up for debate.

>it's popularity with a larger audience at the time was that it actually sounded better

The album still sold the most on cassettes the first few years of release, CDs weren't as common place. The popularity had more to do with the more hook driven, riff heavy songs. Less experimentation, more anthemic singing. Also Enter Sandman played a huge role, that song alone sold like 80% of all albums.

>I do really claim that the album in general sounds like a fucking pancake due to that and not "mic placement"

Stop listening to your music on iphone earbuds.

the better the equipment, the more clear it is that AJFA sounds like garbage - it literally only sounds good compared to similar music on shit equipment like iphone earbuds

AJFA almost literally makes any audio setup sound like iphone earbuds, how anyone could hold this opinion seriously is now triggering me :(

>the better the equipment, the more clear it is that AJFA sounds like garbage

I have a very expensive audio set-up and AJFA is one of the funnest albums to listen to, both on speakers and headphones, just because of the unique production. I'm not saying it's the greatest album ever produced but I find the production to be way more enjoyable than any other 80s metal album, which all sound like tinny garbage. The dry and flat sound actually works well with the relentless riffing of thrash metal, get that through your thick skull.

Not ruined, but definitely not done any favors.

>more enjoyable than any other 80s metal album, which all sound like tinny garbage
>comparing to the production of AJFA
This post has to be a joke.

Did you intentionally pick one of the most finely produced albums of all time?

>I have a very expensive audio set-up and AJFA is one of the funnest albums to listen to

Sounds like someone wasted their money if you sincerely believe that.