This looks promising, moreso than some of the movies turned out; but are they really going to get it right this time...

This looks promising, moreso than some of the movies turned out; but are they really going to get it right this time? Do you think that with:
*Showing the darkness & brutality of reality not being "en vogue" to realistically portray in this genre atm;
*The increasing frequency of mass shootings, some occurring right as the series is getting ready to drop;
They're going to do it justice; or have/will they take the time before it drops to water all that down & let the series ride on the rest? This shit can have all the depth of character dev & psychological/dramatic layering it wants; but it needs to be as fucking BRUTAL as the source material, both on Frank's part & the part of those he punishes, to do it justice.
Thoughts?

I wonder if they can get away with scenes/themes in the punisher Max

The 2004 film was fucking great

I doubt it'll be quite as gory as Punisher MAX or Warzone but it certainly doesn't seem to be shying away from violence either.

It was, War Zone wasn't bad either when it wasn't being campy as shit (esp with Jigsaw); but both kind of bombed saleswise & never went anywhere else, which is a shame.

The movies weren't bad, but they really didn't capture the essence of the average Punisher story. I don't want to see the Kingpin or shit like that: I want to see the Punisher hunt down street criminals, pedophiles and whatnot. I like the "mass shooter" kind of style they're going for; here's hoping Netflix doesn't fuck it up.

Them going a full on MAX-like route would be a fucking wet dream come true.

I don't like MCU Kingpin at all but he was used pretty well in DD S2 where he just showed up for a little bit as a significant threat but didn't spend much time chewing up scenery. If it's like the first 3 or so episodes of DD S1 and his scenes in DD S2 it should be good.

This.

I heard an anecdote that Jon Berenthal walked into a NYC comic shop, and asked for the best Punisher stories. The clerk pulled out a dozen books, knowing who he was, and told him not to fuck it up.

I'm hopeful. Still wish it was Tom Jane though

Anything Ennis does is amazing.

You guys read the new Punisher Platoon?

Decap by car door gave me a priapism. The sound effect work on that scene especially was incredible.

Huge Ennis fan, but I haven't read anything new in some time comics wise. I'll have to check it out.

>psychoLOGical

Making Kingpin a literal raging autist was pretty lame. Also why kill off Ben Urich for no good reason? He's one of the best supporting characters in the Marvel universe.

Theres only 2 issues so far, but it follows his first tour in nam. Kind of a before and after of Valley Forge, Valley Forge

I think they balanced the autist aspect out, in the end. Certainly by the end of S2. As for Urich, I agree he could've been better used long run, but they needed a death, & his would cause the least amount of fan butthurt.

He was a lot better in S2 but I think he hurt S1 overall. If they needed a death they could have used a non-established character. Then again the netflix shows keep pretending like the film MCU doesn't exist and refer to things like the events of The Avengers as "the incident" so he probably wouldn't ever get used anyway.

Kingpin needed a weakness, him being shit with women & raging over it worked. I don't think they overdid it.

Could have done without him literally REEEEing.

Well, the Netflix stuff is unlikely to exist after Disney gets their streaming service going full steam; which is a damn shame.

The Daredevil chick will ruin it, I can feel it. Also, I bet a white man will be the villain.

The netflix shows are really hit or miss. Also they have Agents of SHIELD which is ABC so it's not like they have a problem being on multiple platforms.

Well one of his most common enemies are white mobsters and most villains in Marvel are white since they tend to be based in the US and Europe.

>I bet a white man will be the villain
Aside from barracuda, most of Frank's long running archenemies are white or wops, including the ones that killed his family, so I don't see how that's really out of character.

Barracuda should show up if it's going hard R, if not then whatever.

I saw on imdb that Rawls is a character. I hope he gets the MAX treatment.

I'd but if he was involved. Especially with his "fuck you" grill

kek, definitely not that cheesy rocket explosion mid flip shit from warzone.

That's great though.

A good lol moment; but not tonally right for it.

Only reason I watched DD was for the punisher, I'd fast forward to those parts lol, they have him as he is supposed to be, and the guy playing him is perfect I'll absolutely be watching

Dexter II

Hell no; fucking hope not.
That trailer alone seems to dismiss that as a possibility.

>Still wish it was Tom Jane though
He's a bit too old for it now anyway; great in the Expanse, but you can see Punisher is past him in it.

ABC is disney owned; Netflix isn't. They mioght still let Netflix do their series with who they're already using since they've been predominantly well-received. They'd look like dicks pulling them.

they need somewhere for the harder, gritty stuff like punisher anyway, doubt disney wants to do those themselves but theyll certainly take the lisencing cash

Yeah the Disney streaming service seems to be leaning really hard into Star Wars which is a better fit for the platform.

Check out his video on youtube. Called something like punisher laundry. He's still got it