Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15197-bridge-over-troubled-water/
youtube.com/watch?v=o-urzDZdbQY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They gave that album a 9.4
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15197-bridge-over-troubled-water/

Melodic. B

They were great but there were better albums in the 60's. They didn't do anything experimental or groundbreaking, just make catchy folk with great singing.

gentle white poetry loving boys from New York just aren't very exciting - it's very easy to underestimate culture that really resonates with the meek classes that are doing ok, but are still living their lives feeling things as much as anyone else

Simon & Garfunkel is the music of the "normal man", it will continue to resonate because of it's lack of "revolution" while still being emotional and relatable - it is very much music for those who personally feel left behind and emotional but aren't part of any movement.

So it's not culturally sexy enough to feature on your list of elevatable old music, but will still remain relatable and great for a long time to go because regardless of your race, class and neighborhood, there will be people with all the outside privilege but still feel like they are on the outside and that experience is the S&G experience.

That album isn't from the fucking 60s. They recorded in the late 60s but came out on 1970

Sounds of Silence made 105 on the list, just barely beating The Shaggs.

Also their albums were never amazing. They had some incredible songs but I wouldn't rate any of their 60s albums high up on the top 200.

Theyre white

Racism. Homophobia.

Pretty much this. I've always thought Simon and Garfunkel never really got fair treatment in the folk world. They were never really loved by folkies or music critics because they weren't seen as being as interesting or "authentic" as people like Bob Dylan. Paul Simon had an image of a New York intellectual who wrote gentle, personal poetry. Americans wanted political statements and revolution, which Simon was never about; it's why he was much more success in England early in his career. Even after becoming successful, Simon and Garfunkel were viewed as more of a pop act than serious folk.

I wonder what they would have been like if they dropped acid and got into the hippie scene. You think they'd be as famous as they are now or just another forgotten 60's psych-folk band?

They are straight white dudes. If they were black or homosexual they will be in the top 20.

I don't think a black 60's folk singer even exists

Ritchie Havens. Although he also wasn't regarded as being very "authentic" because he was mostly known for playing folky covers of pop songs. Hippies still liked him enough to book him at Woodstock, though.

Because botw is from 1970

WOH CECILIA
YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART

youtube.com/watch?v=o-urzDZdbQY

BEAT

it's just a fluke, they usually have shit taste

I dunno.

I'm not american, but "America" is the best American folk song I've ever heard and I always felt like it represented the hippie scene better than any other music. Ever.