I've realized video games have been a major impedance on my life

I've realized video games have been a major impedance on my life.
Last night in a drunken stupor I took a look in the mirror, ejected the disc from my Xbox1, put it up and scrawled this on my arm, as a reminder.
I have an addictive personality and video games exploit that part of me...
I'm done.
I wanna be a knowledgeable man...
I'm starting with paradise lost.

I just turned 30, so I'm finding myself in a transitional space.

What do you guys think about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/being-hooked-on-video-games-isnt-necessarily-an-addiction-this-study-explains-why-2017-10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sound pretty pretentious,man. I can bet my ass that you will keep this addiction afterward. Hell i think you are playing videogame right now

Sry about the image being upside down btw...
I've been on this bender for about 3 days and 78 beers

I'm pretty serious about it tho,
These games don't have any value in the end...
I'm just wasting my time, with nothing to show for it but prestige...WTF IS THAT

this is happening everywhere with vg

I've thought about the moderation thing also...
The only problem with that is when I finish an hour of gaming, I start thinking, "oh hell, why not an extra 30 minuets?" Then before you know it, it's 3 hours later...

I am 40+ and I still play vidya games. Once you bring the money home and pay the bills, mission is accomplished, fuck the rest.

Videogame is simply a mean of distraction in your situation. Stop playinging and you will eventually find a new one. The problem is within yourself my child. You gotta cure yourself

Good point, however, I don't make anymore than 27k a year...
I guess I just want to get myself into a better position...
I love playing video games, seriously, but for my life right now they are hurting me... I'm just gonna have to put them on the back burner for a while.
Don't wanna, but I gotta make an adult decision here.

This is true, you should try to see a counsellor if you don't know how/where to start OP

>gotta make an adult decision here
>decision was to act angsty as you remove the game from console and write on your arm
yup nothing but adult decisions as far as i can see
>transitional space
so you wanna stop playing games and start doing sissy threads? is that what you are trying to tell us?

Is it alcoholism.?

I've made a lot of bad decisions in my life...
Like, thrown away a lot of good opportunity...
Things people obsess over, like love, and also like going to college for little money or free for that matter...
Yeah, I've fucked up man...
For the past 6 years I've been coming home from work and just playing video games....
It's wasted time

>software dev
>literally build and play games as my career
>make millions

idk what you're doin buddy

I'm just looking for different angles...
Who better to judge me than my peers.

Buddy, if you're serious you would smash the xbox1. Don't sell it, smash it.
You know I'm right.

You're thirty and you still prefer to spend some free time gaming on a console? Yeah that is pretty sad dude.

I could make my passion into a career, yes..

But I suck at math, so in order to help my math skills, I gotta stop playing video games....

nigga i played games 8 hours a day every day and still got my degree then used all the game experience i had to design new and innovative mechanics in existing genres

its a question of will, not time

But I suck at math, so in order to help my math skills, I gotta stop playing video games....
or, OR
hear me out now
you just start selling drugs...

$27k per year is a fortune here. Don't make your situation worse than it really is. Some guys go fishing, other fuck whores, some become alcohol, some gamble. You could be in a much worse situation.

If you can't find a way to better spend you time, find a way to monetize your current time spent playing. There's huge development in the applied used of cryptocurrency within video games.

Soon enough your in game achievements may have real life value (i.e; selling rare items for real money)

If you're so addicted that all you do is get high scores and dominate leader boards, that time isn't worth nothing. Do some research and find a way to monetize your addiction.

Damn, but I watch hulu n Netflix and stuff on it.
You're right tho, I understand why that would be symbolic to the ultimate decision.

OP you have a serious problem with understanding actions and outcomes.
This.

He plays on a trash Xbox, he can't monetize anything on such a pleb platform.

So, like my rank and/or gamer tag/account could be sold for money?

>I have an addictive personality
>video games exploit that part of me

You sound like you think you are a victim of some sort. You are just a lazy failure. Go cry somewhere else faggot.

That may be true right now, nothing is to say that in the future consoles wont have more leeway with trading items.

He could also sell his xbone with all the games and buy a half way decent gaming PC.

Blockchain applications are creating ways to make money off virtually anything, the future is very bright for people wanting to make money off games.

I'm starting to think this is right...

>"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
-John Lennon

Everyone has an addiction. Life is too short to care about shit man. Do what you enjoy and be happy.

Yes and no. You most likely could sell your accounts but that's not where the money is. Look into OPskins' new token called WAX. You'll be able to trade any in game item that they support for cash with little to no transaction fees.

Find games that you like that have/will have support from any of the dozens of websites that will be offering trading pairs for that specific game. I could give you the full run down and create a gameplan to make you at least a little bit of money now, but I wont.

It's up to you to determine whether you either 1) want to quit your hobby or 2) continue doing what you like and make money off it.

Google is an amazing tool.

You're handing away your agency by saying you have a addictive personality and implying games exploit you.
Games have no mind and only do what you tell them to do.
If you want to change this, you gotta look inside of yourself and take responsibility for what you find in there.
Change the thing inside of you that compels escapism and excessive gaming will cease to be an issue for you.

Maybe try giving up alcohol

Also, don't write on yourself OP, that is odd in general.

>Gaming addiction may NOT exist: Experts claim habit is a temporary distraction from aspects of life that gamers are unhappy with
businessinsider.com/being-hooked-on-video-games-isnt-necessarily-an-addiction-this-study-explains-why-2017-10

This is my problem. Less of an addiction more of escapism

You will just get addicted to something else.

If you think that video games are the problem, then you are completely blind and incapable of understand what you need to do to change yourself.

I don't ever do it...lol
I just needed a reminder, if I felt compelled.

Okay, very informative , wow, thank you for that info. But...........
I don't wanna play anymore until I get out of this rut. I know I'm lazy cuz I play too much...

What is is that you are playing for so long? I can't imagine how someone can just play a game for three days.

Black ops 3 lol
And gta 5 (not so much tho, I just like to golf in the game, and race. Killing isn't as important.)

You're lazy because you're a lazy human.

I gave you knowledge you could potentially use to find a real life use case for your hobby/addiction and your reply was "oh but you only gave me the ingredients, i wanted the cake".

The problem is your mentality, nothing else.

>I've realized video games have been a major impedance on my life.
>Xbox1

I haven't laughed this hard in YEARS.
What kind of pretend nerd that thinks he's "addicted" to video games plays them on a fucking xbone?
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Not only you fail at life, but you also fail at being a nerd?
How the fuck do you manage to fail at both things at the same time?

I'm gonna read this article real quick. Brb

The fuck you need to post Nazi shit for? Eat shit and die I lost interest.

The Asians and third world beaners will monopolize any RMTing as they always do, driving price down. Being a vidja farmer pays like $2/hr if you're good at it. It's boring as fuck to boot.

Not really, when farming for common place items; sure. If you're a top leaderboard player who has access to rare items you could potentially see your skill find some monetary value.

So how do I change my mentality?
How do I even know what to change?
You'd need more in depth details into my life and background/childhood to anylize such a complex topic...

Brother, I wanna be proactive, and I'm motivated now. I just can't be distracted anymore, and for me, that is very easy, apparently.

Btw, pics not related, just dumping w/e

Stop drinking. Play vidja every other day instead.

I was just fascinated by how many people were gathered. It's not a Nazi thing, just an interesting picture.

Find a cognitive behavioral therapist and join a mindfulness meditation class.
These things combined will teach you what your brain is doing and how to react to it.
Cognitive behavioral therapy basically trains you in taking agency when it comes to your thoughts and emotions.

Change your diet. Go vegan.

Huh, I was wondering when someone would come in here and tell op to become religious. Now you're finally here.

Then obviously my solution isn't one you have any use for.

Your intention is to quit games and move on. I was simply creating a solution for if you find yourself not wanting/being able to quit games.

If you were going to say "fuck it, im playing games forever" you could at least find a way to support yourself doing it. Ultimately if you pay your own bills you owe nothing to anyone and can be a crack addict for all you care.

I'm atheist and right leaning.
Don't impose your faggotry on me meatcuck.

OP is faggot
Why do you write upside down when you are drunk ??? did you go 3rd person

Holy shit you're the ultimate definition of contrarian special snowflake.
Jesus christ the cringe.

I use to binge on counter strike, w0w, even stemming back to tribes (the fuck you know about THAT)

I have an atari, front load nes, 200+ cartridges over sega,n64 (mario cart inc)... I also know that Michael Jackson's "stranger in moscow" was actually to end credits to sonic 3 (aka sonic n knuckles) before it was ever released.

I'm pretty stupid, yes
Also, the flash is my favorite superhero

>all these replies to obvious bait thread

OK, I'm sorry I flew off the handle there, I respect history and events. I just have a solid hatred for the edgy American bigots that "March" under the Nazi colors. Before I get called a liberal you can all stuff your liberal vs conservative bull shit the United State's government feeds us

This. OP do us a favor and off yourself. You play an hour and a half a night and thats too much? Try being addicted to an MMO. Perhaps the reason your failing is because you see it as failure. 27k per year isn't the worst at 30, and not having a fun hobby isnt gonna magically teleport you out of your life.

Omg this fucking cracked me up
OP here

Op came here with questions about his excessive escapism and your reply is "Go vegan".
What the hell does his diet have to do with him avoiding negative emotions through a proxy?
You might be an atheist, but you seem religious about what you eat. I never mentioned you politics, so you bringing them up just means you're insecure about them.
I'm not telling you what to eat, so I'm not imposing anything on you, I was giving you shit for trying to take ops symptoms and make them fit with your pet cure of veganism.

>counter strike, w0w
Casual piece of shit.
>tribes
The only decent game you've named so far.
>atari, front load nes, n64
Fucking yawn.
>I also know that Michael Jackson's "stranger in moscow" was actually to end credits to sonic 3
Literally everyone and their dog knows that.

You're the biggest basic bitch i've ever seen in my life.
If you were a girl i'd never call you again 1 day after fucking you.
You might as well be a girl because you have the same exact basic bitch taste of any fake nerd girl you'll ever met out there, the only thing you're missing is "OMG I LOVE ZELDA11!!".
Christ, you say games are an addiction anda big part of your life yet you know jack shit about video games.
You're shit even at your main hobby, you didn't even explore it enough even tho that's all you do.
Suck a fucking dick dude, i can't stand people that have no intelligence and no passion, even towards something that occupies most of their lives.

Nah man, OP here, and I have real problems, not getting any younger. Drinking all the time. Credit card debt. Losing connections with family/friends....
I'm getting a lot of perspective being here with you all right now, I just truly want you guys to know how appreciative I am for all that you do...

That WE do, together.

I'm on a tablet
I don't have a keyboard to get too in depth.
That's fine, I even appreciate this

Best answer

It's okay, I don't judge anyone based on what they believe. I'd like to think I'm more pragmatic than anything, but then I can't get out of this situation I've dug myself into... what sort of pragmatic individual would do such a thing?

I like this idea

I have to say I agree here.
Fuck that, eating is a way to sustain yourself, doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're balancing,not eating butter and mayonnaise for dinner every night...

Thank you.
Personally, that idea pulled me out of stress induced agoraphobia, so I'm thinking it can easily help op pull himself out of his excessive escapism.

OP here...

So looks like the thread is going to die soon.
I want you all to know, I've saved the thread and I'm going to consider everything included (except for the an hero parts)
Thank you for taking time to help me out.
I'll just monitor for more replies, if they come

I also have this...

That might be fun to read and play around with, but don't expect your life to change from it.

Nah, I don't expect that. I've just always been into the possibility that as humans we are more aware than we think.
One of the most interesting things to me is how we react to music... it can be such an awesome motivator. Your whole mood changes with the right melody behind it...

OP was a meme post and so is yours. You sound like a retarded faggot.

Have always had a similar problem. Used to game every day all day now i decided for college im gonna go for music now i just sample video
games so i can produce music and enjoy a game without feeling the experience as meaningless longterm

Whathe is the sauce on this gif?

Well music does have an almost magical quality to it, I mean even animals make music.
The peacock spider for example, drums rhythmically on the ground and dances to attract a mate.

OP here.
Sorry, I wasn't aware I was memeing....
I am seriously at a crossroads here.
Not intended to be cancerous

You have to do what makes you happy. Doing this all the time makes you miserable, though. Everything in moderation. Including moderation. Learn how to meditate and practice talking to girls.

They got the title wrong. It should read, "The world's tiniest, cuntiest grad student."

it's right but the west has trouble teaching kids about cause and effect. I'm 35 and everything I know about it is self taught

>and i don't think i did a very good job or I wouldn't be on Sup Forums

Get some Help

it's clearly trumps inauguration, just look at the crowd

pardon the edge but go die in a fire being this snowflake on Sup Forums

Yeah, I'm really starting to think I have a bad perception when it comes to cause and effect. Also escapism, it's not very effective to escape your problems, more so to face them head on, I'm starting to realize

cult of jordan peterson
clean room
etc

it took sam harris saying that meat is ethically indefensible before i took this seriously.

>disc
Lol FAG

that is true for drugs including alcohol too. Addiction is not an issue with people who are perfectly happy. Our entire decision making is based on what's the best action. When everything seems shit escapism becomes the best action. The same has been long ago already observed with animal behaviour where 2 fighting hens suddenly stop and start pecking - when the top choice is shit the next behaviour on the priority scale takes action.

Wtf is that?

nah. you'll never make a living off your game score. there's no demand, and the supply is off the charts. your game score is the digital equivalent to dirt. sorry, man.
A career offers so many other benefits though. I applaud you wanting to better yourself. I'll applaud you even more if you actually take the steps to change. But don't give up on games. They aren't the problem. You need to figure out what that problem is. It's most likely an unproductive lifestyle.

Hm... very insightful.
After all this I think it's apparent I need a mentor/teacher/therapist of some sort....

basically explains how to not hate your life

Get a mentor and a therapist.
One to support you in taking care of your life and one to help take care of your emotional life.

You can get the SAME effect by talking to anons on here. Save the money. If you honestly want to change, just ask for suggestions. Start with a job. One you feel productive at.

Yes. I'm very unproductive.
I didn't go to college, and I had the chance.
This girl I love, I left her in high school because I thought I was gonna be a rock star in a band and have crazy sex with all sorts of amazing women...
My whole life was decided in a night,when I wrecked and got a dui. I went to jail. That was over 10 years ago. Ever since I've just been existing, and longing for a solution...

Just to be clear... I'm not blaming video games anymore. ..I see it's more internal and not a matter of influence but just failure to see the reality and causality of my decisions. ...

It's really blowing my mind, to actually realize these things now....

Well we could probably do the mentor part.
But I personally don't know enough about cognitive behavioral therapy(or any sort of therapy really) to give good advice on it.

And then you would have to weed out the trolls and misinformers

in terms of mistakes, these are babytownfrolics. don't beat yourself up! you still have so much potential. im in a similar position. can't drive because of alcohol. but there are ways around it. the MOST helpful thing you can do is get a job. but don't stop with one. keep putting out apps when you're employed. it gives you a sense of power when you can choose to leave one for another.
and never forget that the people you work with, the environment you work in, is just as important to your mental health as the job itself. people need other people.

Sounds to me like you've been stuck for a while.
Your first goal should be figuring out what is happening in your mind and then finding out what you need to do to deal with it.
Once you've got that rolling, you can focus on figuring out what you want to do with your life and making a plan to go in that direction.
It's not gonna be easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

Yeah, I've been avoiding this for some time now because 1)I though my mental stability was superior to other's 2)I wanted to avoid spending money on something I could probably fix myself...

Sometimes you gotta try the opposite of what is resulting in failure to succeed I guess...