I am here to make my 10th annual report on whether Sup Forums is shit or brilliant...

I am here to make my 10th annual report on whether Sup Forums is shit or brilliant. This report is generally for my own personal use, but given the anniversary I figured it would be worth sharing.

2008: brilliant
2009: brilliant
2010: brilliant
2011: brilliant
2012: brilliant
2013: brilliant
2014: shit
2015: shit
2016: shit
2017:

I will read through the catalog and report back in a bit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Carolina_Learjet_60_crash
youtube.com/watch?v=2NNMHxqJp6A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>self defense

I'll bump this for interest.

There's quite a few shit threads, but also quite a few good ones. Tonight's vibe, and saturday nights seem pretty representative of the place in general, seems to be balanced between meme focused and music focused. The favourite moments from an album thread is good, the gear and production threads are good, active sharethread chains are good. "post an album that's tracks equal the number of times youve shat in the last 3 days" would rank with any thread starter I've ever seen here. And the (probably old) "Kevin is known to be THE most hung guy in shoegaze" pasta is very fucking good.

On balance, it's pretty good tonight.

2017: brilliant

wasn't expecting a positive report but yeah tonight it's doing way better than the past week.

Though I will say that you people have a serious problem with Grimes, I don't know what that's all about.

wrong, 2014 Sup Forums was good

2017 Sup Forums is shit

what a coincidence, I left Sup Forums in 2014 and just decided to come back a couple months ago. Am I the keystone species of Sup Forums's ecology?

Oh jesus, in addition to the old varg comic, I've got a bunch of old Sup Forums images in an old Sup Forums folder. Rage comics!

never leave again

I posted that pasta

are these unironic

>2012
>brilliant

I'm sorry but this is evidence that all of your opinions are shit

If you can believe it, there was a time the format was fresh.

>On balance it's pretty good tonight
Yeah thanks to you showing up

It's like archaeology with these: February 2009.

The death metal pic is a dude with a cut off arm I love it.

Thom Yorke question mark

Sage

youre making me go blind

>why don't listen to music you actually enjoy?
Well?

I can remember laughing my ass off to these

Oh and apparently people still make them. Have one I just found on /r/fffffuuuuuuuuu because I had the morbid curiosity to see if it was even still a thing. It's like finding out that Second Life is still going.

good thread

August 2008

September 2008

January 2009

this a cringe thread?

oh my sweet christ

I don't know if the thumbnail trick will still come through or not.

fuck off

A lot of it does not hold up in retrospect, honestly.

wtf is this in reference to?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Carolina_Learjet_60_crash

I still love this one.

I miss the old youtube
The rate with stars youtube
The reply girl youtube
The 240p youtube
I hate the new youtube
The Jimmy Fallon youtube
The Kids React youtube
The endless ads youtube

The first Fantano sighting: February 2011.

Please stay we need more quality oldfags

It's getting a bit tired and I'm scrolling through 100 old Sup Forums memes to find one from here.

Anyway, keep it interesting everybody.

Say no more, I'll carry your torch for a bit

Whoever is dumping old pics is doing a good job.

I love how Cookie Monster is acting cooler than everyone else

tfw Sup Forums hasn't changed in 8 years

Unfortunately I think I might be running out

>Unfortunately I think I might be running out
:(

This is still the best dump that I've seen in ages.

I actually just discovered another folder, so there's a few more in here

>I actually just discovered another folder, so there's a few more in here

i genuinely miss tracking how o b s c u r e the bands i was checking out were on the obscurometer

Sup Forums stopped being good in 2011

t. 2008 oldfag

saved, i was chuckling remembering this the other day

no

See you next year at the 11th annual report! Hopefully we make you proud again, dad

kek out to show them

>what do you guys listen to on poop day?
sides are in orbit

It's still shit.

no worry bros I'm staying for now, I mostly left because sites were going down and sharethreads died, but they're back now I've been sharing and finding a lot of stuff, Sup Forums's not dead yet

>best thread on Sup Forums is just reminiscing about an older, better Sup Forums
yeah

Even sadder that nobody even bothers to reminisce about 2012-2016 because of how terrible it was.

a classic

Apparently that's all I had that was Sup Forums related from back then. Don't be sad it's over, be happy that it happened.

i've always thought that the dramatic change in quality was because the site's sense of humor changed from being genuine to being harsh and ironic. i might be misremembering though

ADOBE SLATS

BRO SPORT IS THE JAM OF A LIFETIME

No, you remember correctly - this was made 10 years ago
youtube.com/watch?v=2NNMHxqJp6A

I have theories about this whole damn website but they are just too depressing to talk about so I will enjoy this thread.

>i might be misremembering though
I think you might be onto something.

You look at how genuine some of the comics in this thread are and you can't help but think of how incapable current Sup Forums is of creating something like that. 90% of the pictures in this thread would get labeled cringe-worthy nowadays.

>dad rock for fags
roflcopter'd

The shift was when Sup Forums went from a imageboard to the imageboard to migrate to

I would freak out if I saw loveless at a music store though

I hate the album though

please tell us

Not him, but when m00t stopped posting it started to feel less like a community and more like a forum.

I experienced the same thing all over again on 8 c h a n after Hotwheels left.

Haha yes I miss the old Sup Forums too

do tell

Well let me get a drink first.

I just want to start talking about this board, though it is certainly not a problem that is unique to this board.

This board dates back to like 2004, which is even before my time. Between whenever in 2004 and 2009, as you can see in some of these screencaps, there were around 6 million posts, total, on this board. In the eight years since, there have been another 69 million.

Normally, an increase in population means an increase in interesting things, especially in a weirdo place like this. When it started to pick up, I was generally supportive of the development. But I was assuming, incorrectly, that the new people would see this place as we did when we first found it.

I first came to Sup Forums in 2007. It was the wild west, but a self-selected wild west. Most had come from anime or anime-adjacent interests. I was told about this place by a weirdo anime guy I knew who had his ear to the ground. In 2007, this place certainly wasn't groundbreaking anymore, but it was a relatively small community.

Smallness manifests itself in a few ways. Things linger. You have time to process them. Lurk moar was the philosophy. Shut up. Listen. You might learn something.

And smallness means that you know who you are and what you are doing. You aren't fooling yourself. There's a reason tripfags were called tripfags, they were trying to make a name on an forum that was anonymous in both practice and effect. It was only the posts that mattered.

The purity in old memes is a byproduct of creating them solely for the 20 people who would see them and appreciate it. There's no point in being ironic because you and a limited group of other people have found this little free clubhouse and there is no need to be above anything. You can be honest and appreciate things as they are.

It was true on Sup Forums, and it was true on Sup Forums, and it was true on many of the minor boards. /r9k/ was brilliant when it first came out. To steal from Bunk from The Wire, we had us a community.

>tfw one of the tv show presenter 16 or 14 years ago he enjoyed making fun about women collaborators and sometimes he dress off they, like dress, bikini and something. tits and as I said before playing in a swimmingool he quit bikini bottom and show her shaved pussy is a video from 2000-2003

But when this site became popular, people came to it expecting something. Vulgarity, gore, racism, raids, whatever. Those things had existed here but they were the product of small scale people with small scale intentions having a laugh in safety with people they trusted. Online was online. But the acts themselves became the draw rather than the experience of like minds.

The influx to this site used to be that people invade Sup Forums, and then they either quit in disgust, or filter out into the minor boards depending on their interests and the spirit of community on the boards. Sup Forums was chaos, how could it exist as a philosophy? How was it something? It was expression, it was a method, it was a display of how people act in waves. But to me, and I would say to most people of my vintage, it wasn't practical. It provided nothing lasting.