What is the ideal rating curve?

What is the ideal rating curve?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/vandelay__/users_that_may_or_may_not_be_the_same_person/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bottom heavy, nothing in the 5.0 slot, average is 2.2 or below.

90% 4-5

10%1-3

The ideal is not caring about ratings curves

Depends on how many albums you review and why you review them. If you're reviewing literally everything that comes to you, it should be rather symmetric, but most people only review albums that they're interested in, so they tend to be left skewed (with the data clustered at the high values and tailed to the lower values).

Everything should be a 0.5 because all music is shit.

You should mostly only listen to music that you like, so I'd say 80% should be 5s, and about 30% should be 1s.

the pseudo-intellectual positive rating system

Invert that

this

there has never been a 5.0 in the history of music

It's good that you say "review" because hopefully it goes without saying that any RYM user who doesn't write a minimum 500 word review for every album that they rate should be completely disregarded.

This is bullshit.

Loveless

For you

2.5, or average. it's supposed to be used for unoffensive but unremarkable and forgettable music, which constitutes what most non-masochistic will often encounter when trying to discover new music.

It's impossible to know if you're about to encounter a bad or average release. Obviously rating inane shit like Crazy Frog and Brokencyde should be avoided, but this still holds true.

Wack

this

I'm pretty close to this. I mostly listen to stuff that I think I will like. Usually I am right.

That's a nice one.

these. listen to music you like and don't be a pretentious retard like these guys because no one gives a fuck.
RYM is cancer because everyone wants to be like Scaruffi

Gaussian centered in 3.5, id say with 1 stddev
Because
1: you have to listen a lot of times to be able to review it honestly
2: life is too short to waste on bad albums

I have Gaussian centred on 4 for the same reasons. If something really sucks I usually won't listen to it enough to actually rate it.

So it's rated out of four. Which means nothing should go in the 4.0 slot, now it's rated out of 3...

>this is the "intelligentsia" of music

Muh nonexistent curve
I don't really listen to shit I'm completely unfamiliar with, either in regards to the artist, genre, or at least one song from the album.
So as a result almost everything I listen to I have at least a mild appreciation for and it's rare I listen to something I dislike.

Plus I appreciate most music at least mildly with some exceptions

What's the 0.5?

I like music

; ^ )

As it stands the serge gainsbourg version is okay, musically I enjoy it a lot.
But this version is just fucking awful in every way.

Oh yeah, half my ratings are singles, and a lot of them are from the same albums I rate.

I wouldn't have nearly as many 5's (or probaby most my higher ratings) for instance if not for this.

>2.5, or average.
Nigga what the fuck. How can you say shit like this

clear your fucking notifications, dude

HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAH

>Like an album
>Give it a rating that reduces its average score
This is what autism looks like.

Why?

sellmeagod's rating system is patrician

That actually would make sense if he drops all those albums he dislikes. Just a quick bad listen and a drop. I hope he didn't listen to them all

I think this is the most useful desu

a perfect bell curve centered around 3 because odds are most music is "enjoyable"
except for 5 should not follow the trend insofar as it should be the top 1% ish of the ratings

maybe, but it's pointless since his taste is shit though

There has never been a perfect album, agreed. To me, 5.0 is just the best few, even though they are all far from perfect. The god tier.

What you got against half stars?

It's just a building technique since I'm new. Actually the half points are really the most special to me. The plan for 4.5 is my aoty which could either be something I haven't heard yet or one that I'll change in a few months hopefully.

desu a system like this is actually ideal, not wasting space on albums you don't like and trying to differentiate between different tiers of bad

but that's not how the website operates
the average person would see that 2 and assume they didn't like it

Because 2 is below average (since people think automatically that 2.5/3 is average, and numerically that is correct).

why the fuck can't you give zero stars

So it's a 10 scale not an 11 scale.

iui

i havent even listened to the top 10k albums on rym yet. there's no way im gunna try to listen to albums i know i wont like so it's very rare that ill actually rate something super low

Donald is a real hero

5/5: obscure performance of Die Kunst der Fuge
4.5/5: 3 jazz albums chosen at random
4/5: Janacek quartets, Faust s/t, TMR
1/5: every other album you've listened to

Why care about music if you hate it so much

He thinks being a contrarian makes him seem smart.

>tfw to inteligent to enjoy trivial pursuits such as music

>listen to music that you like
>80% 5s
I only give 5s to literally perfect albums. Listening to music you like means you should be centered at 3.0-3.5

here's mine

What are the 0.5 and 5 ratings?

literally this list

rateyourmusic.com/list/vandelay__/users_that_may_or_may_not_be_the_same_person/

It's insane how many people Fantano got to use his "light/strong" system. Music fans are the least creative people in the world.

That's literally Fantano's rym page lol.