Has pop music ever gotten so close to art music before?

Has pop music ever gotten so close to art music before?

Duh. It's got "art" and "pop" right in the title.

why the censored ver

"art music" ????? fuck this shitty ass enya ripoff album

this is fantastic thank for posting

i think this is the dumbest comparison ever made

I know this is bait but for anyone coming into the thread, I think OP is referring to art music in the context of Western classical tradition.

>The first impression with Bjork's music is always of something terribly trivial, obnoxious and, ultimately, boring. Vespertine (Elektra, 2001) is no exception. The "modern" rhythms are a masquerade. The tenuous arrangements are hardly innovative. Bjork is a plastic fantastic vocalist, who can turn pretty much any sequence of notes into a song and add a magical, oneiric feeling to whatever plays around her, but Hidden Place is merely easy listening with echoes of 1960s' film music in the ethereal choir. The bubbling, sparkling, delicate tapestry of It's Not up To You (a veritable jungle of sound effects) eventually releases a string-driven aria that belongs to Broadway shows. The coda, again, brings in the female choir, a recurring trick throughout the album (oddly reminiscent of the Rolling Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want). A similar pattern occurs in An Echo A Stain. Too mellow to display any significant emotion, the album lives of romantic and surreal soundscapes, broadly reminiscent of film and show tunes. She is not a genius of composition, but her paradisiac, fairy-queen crooning has indeed created something new the way Hendrix's guitar invented something new. She doesn't own the arrangements, and often seems indifferent to them (Heirloom is simply Bjork's vocals on top of Console's instrumental Crabcraft), but the album's complexity is the ideal setting for her art, whatever her art is. Just like the Beatles before her, Bjork has made trivial pop music enhanced with studio wizardry. It's the studio wizardry, not the music, that people buy. And the tv-friendly image, of course. Anybody who thinks Bjork is a genius should try to listen at least to Solex. Let your ears, not publicity, judge.

true that's very insulting to enya

Along with countless others.

Jazz isn't art music

Trout Mask Replica isn't jazz.

not him, but why not?

There is a lot of jazz in it. Other than that, it's just avant-garde rock music. Avant-garde music =/ art music.

The argument could be made for many progressive rock albums though.

I didn't know you liked Bjork, Friendo ;)

>There is a lot of jazz in it.
Incorrect.

>Other than that, it's just avant-garde rock music. Incorrect.

TMR is composed and performed exactly to composition.

I haven't listened to her yet.

Damn.. I hope you'll like Vespertine at least.

why? medulla is better

Are you implying Vespertine isn't amazing?

Dickpoop

If he enjoys TMR then MedĂșlla would be more to his tastes

Not that it comes close to being as avant-garde as TMR though

I understand. He also likes medieval music so there's that.

NO BUT I JUST WANT MEDULLA TO GET SOME ATTENTION SO I DECIDED TO REPLY IN A SASSY MANNER TO U REEEEEE

Just make a thread about it lol.

The premise of the thread is about how close popular music can be to art music. That comment is true, but barely relevant.

>quoting a person who thinks Fred Durst was one of the best vocalists of the 20th century

By 'best' he usually means 'the most significant', which means that he's not wrong
There would be no Death Grips and such astists without Fred Durst at least

he's pretty

Not before, but after.

based

For some reason this triggers me worse than his usual trash opinions

Says the idiot that can touch women. He is probably a 60 year old virgin.

he just don't want to contact yellow fever

He doesn't have those lusty negro attitudes.