i dont get it. its literal shit. even death grips is better

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oNj5lv1AGao
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgdzr57_sk
youtu.be/PSfTQoyGelQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tLgv19el96Y
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU
youtube.com/watch?v=tHksWF5R0Qk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listener_fatigue).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

its basically just ambience its not bad.

There are different ways of listening. They are all about what you are primed to expect from the music and what kind of sensation you want from it.

If you try to listen to harsh noise the same way you would listen to pop or hip hop, you will be lost waiting for catharsis and structure that isn't coming.

Realising this is how you un-pleb yourself and stop asking questions like "How can anyone enjoy this?!?!"

>inb4 not high quality noise

I appreciate it from a textural standpoint.

I don't mind it low when I need some background noise but don't want to listen to music.

Happiness is getting shroomed out and putting on the merzbox then lifting off into outerspace

I've come to love this. It made me delve into his other works and there is a lot of good shit to find.

I don't know how to describe why I like it. its unsettling but also hypnotizing. I wouldn't listen to it in my car or anything though, I'd probably just have to be at home with headphones on the computer or doing something else while listening to it. Definitely not something I'd listen to every day either.

Pulse Demon is shit but if you go into a noise album expecting the same instant gratification that you would from an album from any other genre then that's the reason you aren't getting it.

Try this. It's kinda meme-noise but it's good nonetheless. Instead of trying to "understand it", just let it play. Let it fry your brain, if you will.
youtube.com/watch?v=oNj5lv1AGao

yet another thread where someone tries (doesnt actually try) to get into noise through merzbow and goes wtf this is noisy!

This is something im gonna plan to do next time i get shrooms, hopefully nobody bothers me and ruins my vibe

I'm the odd one out. I love pulse demon. And it's not ironic either. Now on the other hand there's stuff like dolphin sonar which is more difficult to listen to

>meme noise

The fuck is that

not op but I'm guessing he means "entry level" noise. Merzbow seems to be the only noise musician people know if they aren't into noise.

the whole POINT of harsh noise is you dont "understand it" thers no fucking song structure or melodies and shit you just fucking play it and enjoy not understanding it

sure you can layer any type of meaning you want on top of it which is why its always cool to hear the story behind noise tapes n shit but its not like oh i get the part where it goes "ZDZZZZZZDZFSHHHHHHSZZZD" now

harsh noise also sucks but its just fucking noise

>There's no fucking way you can actually sit there with this shit is your ears and enjoy it...
Instead of thinking that way, a more constructive way of going about listening to it would be:
>thinking, "What are possible reasons that someone might enjoy this?"
>listening to it again with those reasons in mind and looking for things you, yourself might enjoy about it
>now that you know what it is, you may realize that you would need to be in a certain mood to listen to something like that

Eh, some of us just like the way it sounds. It's not necessarily deep, and it's not like it could be said to have complex music theory behind it or anything, but some of us just enjoy the way it sounds.

And to be fair, 90s Merzbow and stuff like Whitehouse and Masonna are kind of like the Insane Clown Posse or Pantera of noise. If you didn't know anything about hip hop or metal and heard those artists, you might assume their whole genre was ignorant, belligerent bullshit. See, I'm a Merzbow fan, and I don't enjoy Venereology or Pulsedemon at all. In the 80s he was doing some really interesting tape cut-up, sound collage stuff; I like the more subdued noise that places unusual sounds next to each other and uses silence to break things up and build tension. I could reference a bunch of youtube videos to show you how varied the genre actually is, but it's pretty clearly just not your thing.

Just understand that a lot of people don't like whatever it is you like, and that's okay, too.

not him but i'd appreciate it if you could link those videos, friend-o

This can't be good for your ears.

>pantera

what a bad example

:!

what? that's not true at all. like none of this post is true

also, what is it with this album specifically that people latch onto as the go-to noise album?

Merzbow has some legitimately good albums but none of them are his harsh noise albums. His best are 1930 (noise with tape music/musique concrete) and Music for Bondage Performance (Dark ambient/industrial noise)

>listening to nip shit
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgdzr57_sk

This desuchan

yes pls show if you don't mind, i actually have liked noise after giving it a few tries

if you're imaginative enough i can see some trippy landscapes when i listen to merzbow. not really dense in a musical sense though.

t. pleb

lemme help you
youtu.be/PSfTQoyGelQ

This kill the numale.
youtube.com/watch?v=tLgv19el96Y

Not even Merzbow enjoys it mate but that's not the point here. Also if you want into noise try something else.

If you think this is hard to listen to try tokyo anal dynamite

are you 12 years old? art isnt always about enjoyment, why do you think every creation has to be designed to make you feel pleasure lmao

prurient is meme noise because a lot of it relies on non noise elements to hook you

tamayodo lad

pretty good actually

its this thread again !!

Listen kid, that's what I used to believe when I was your age, but eventually you get to the point where your imagination expands and compounds into an endless array of imagery that this album takes advantage off, you kiddy-widdies might not understand what I mean when I say that the first track is captivating so I'll make it plain obvious. Say you're on a huge space ship taking down the big bad before he nukes the planet and you get trapped in the rubbish compartment of said ship (that can release said rubbish into space at any given moment) next say that you are nearly propelled into outer space and are hanging on via a small nook in the internal metal plating - well that's what Woodpecker No 1. feels like, soon enough you are becoming delirious and hallucinate synthesized electronic pounding that reminds you of the rain on your home planet pounding and caressing the loathsome concrete on a dreary Monday morning and become nostalgic, shedding a single tear at this sentimental memory and begin to resign yourself to your inevitable death, letting yourself go and float into space to find the peace and happiness beyond. Of course a little child won't understand that, kid *pinches your cheeks* *bullies you incessantly*, but any of us who have traveled the empty void known as "existence" can rationalize the true value of such a piece. Perhaps someday you will understand too kid but not now, you'll just continue waiting for the vocals to start.

Agreed. Some people believe Merzbow's entire discography sounds exactly like Pulse Demon, when that's not really the case. My favorites are Antimonument and Amlux, but I think the "This isn't music!!!" crowd should give Merzbeat a listen.
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU

i saw him live a year ago and it was a v interesting experience, i wouldn't say i enjoyed it as such but it's definitely a performance worth seeing. different people experience it in different ways, one lady had full recording gear while another guy was grinning and thrashing around like a madman

Why does noise music rely on edgy imagery to exist? Like this dumb shit for example, "White Power Fist Fuck" or whatever. And then on the slideshow we see a cassette with the words "Penisator" or "Eating Limbs" then it cuts to fucking BDSM degenerate sex toys. How the actual fuck can a human being even start to appreciate something like this fully without going full edge-lord mode is beyond me.

please tell me this is copypasta goddamn

I like that album

This is more typical of Western noise. It's also usually just a superficial aspect of some noise subcultures. On the other hand noise is an inherently edgy music, but it depends on the artist how much taste they have for non-sonic presentation of their music. Tbh I usually find such titles and visual art cringy as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=tHksWF5R0Qk

Because it's an inherently an edgy genre. Pretty much this generation's punk music except this won't ever become commercialized and sold to the public by ((()))

I always thought it was funny that Esplendor Geométrico started out with stupid edgelord imagery but then backed away from it.

I think Hanatarash/Boredoms had the best approach with nonsensical titles and artwork.

not all do, but it comes with the territory. loud abrasive music is appealing to punks. it's kind of died down after the 80s and 90s industrial trends though

How do you pronounce Merzbow anyway?

Murs-boe?
Mertz-bau?
Murs-bau?
Mertz-boe?
???

Also, it's perfectly fine to appreciate noise from a meta point of view. Here are some things that I think about while listening to noise:
"Wow, that sure is a weird sound. Hmm, I wonder how the artist did that."
"Something about these sounds make me feel [happy/sad/etc.]. Why is that?"
"Why did the artist decide to transition between one piece of noise to another?"
etc.

メルツバウ

it's based on a german word according to wikipedia so the second one

you could also call him merutsubau for weeb points

I would listen to it riding the bus
Get fucked normie

The easiest way to get "into" noise is just to turn down the fucking volume and listen to it softer, until your ears get "used" to noise.

There's no silence in this album, (or it a lot of noise), while a lot of harsh and experimental forms of music do have silence, so you don't experience as much listener fatigue (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listener_fatigue).

Wtf are you one about OP, I just had a comfy nap with this blastin in background moments ago/

>There's no fucking way you can actually sit there with this shit is your ears and enjoy it...

I can and I do enjoy it you fucking faggot. Go listen to your whore grimes.

>Not enjoying the ecstasy of pure noise
Noise is the logical conclusion to music. Not even meming.

merzbow is for pussies
vomir is the way to go

so you're saying that noise isn't music? Jesus, i didn't know /mu had smart people in it.

I still don't actually know whether or not I enjoy it. When I have it on it's not really pleasant or unpleasant it's just kinda existing which is kinda interesting in itself. I do find myself tapping my toe or whatever but I'd probably do that to anything with rhythm.