ITT: Reddit Essentials

ITT: Reddit Essentials.

Other urls found in this thread:

sputnikmusic.com/list.php?listid=119037&memberid=1026087
reddit.com/r/Music/comments/3nw5lb/rmusic_top_350_albums_top_50/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What a great thread! It's pretty much over by now. Just throw in some dadrock, white stripes, and gorillaz and we're all good.

kanye west discography

Your favorite album

This is, I think, the most 100% legit answer. Like, first reply was TPAB, which PLENTY of outlets adore (including myself), so it's unfair to call it "Reddit-core".
A Night at The Opera though, THAT is literally only talked about on leddit. I have not even seen it mentioned in passing anywhere else, only the singles that it produced.

everlong is unironically one of the best songs from the last 20 years

Radiohead - OK Computer

You're creating rules that are not necessary. Reddit is reddit is reddit. Doesn't matter who else acclaims it, and in fact critical acclaim is part of what makes reddit like something.

the album is pretty good. Why are we scared to talk about it? is it because its too mainstream and talked about already?

>and then you post another legitimately great album
The point is to make fun of Reddit. You can't call it a circlejerk if they HAPPEN to be listening to good music. Like, they're people too. They can manage to listen to good music.
Reddit-core is shit that is mediocre or "ok" being praised as the second coming of Jesus. Here's an example similar to Queen: J Cole. Clearly J Cole and Radiohead are not on the same level.

spotted the redditor

ITT: Albums the poster doesn't like

The point I'm making is that it's NOT talked about (if you're talking about the Queen album). It does not appear on any "best of" lists of the period, because it's a mediocre album.

Who's best of lists are we talking about here?

Anyone. Post a link of someone putting it in their top 10. For the decade, or even a 5 or 3 year span. The only way it could POSSIBLY make such a list is if you're only looking at that one year.
Again, it's very easy to compare this to albums that people actually give a shit about, like Close to the Edge or something. Very easy to separate the Reddit-core from actual music history.

>arguing about what redditcore is

I think it's worth stipulating, because otherwise I could just start copy-pasting names from the Billboard top 100 or something en-masse and clog up this thread with irrelevant bullshit.
Keyword: irrelevant. Make it relevant to Reddit dick-sucking, not just random albums you don't like.

Any Kayne West or Radiohead album

>i think it's worth stipulating

holy fuck stopped reading here

Here you go my boy.
sputnikmusic.com/list.php?listid=119037&memberid=1026087

also tell me why you feel it it is mediocre

this. /thread

I considered not reading someone who responded to 8 people, but went against my better judgement. I get a faggot as a result of my efforts. Goodie.
Ok, when I said "anyone", I didn't expect you to take me literally. I meant music critics of the time. And I know you might say "implying music critics critique music", but back then, getting a prominent critic to co-sign your shit was actually worth something.
And I'm not really saying it's MEDIOCRE by my standards, I honestly really liked it, but it failed to make an impression whatsoever, mostly because of the lack of innovation.

HAVE Sex
Take a shower
Hit the weights
Gain Height
Turn 18
Seek Sunlight
Get a clue

>Reddit-core is shit that is mediocre or "ok" being praised as the second coming of Jesus.
no that's Sup Forumscore like God!Speed You! Black Emperor!

ok i see

Bruh, G!O!D!!S!P!E!E!D!!Y!O!U!!B!L!A!C!K!!E!M!P!E!R!O!R!!!!!!! is actually grossly underrated for what they've accomplished. Their name is usually spoken in the same sentence that most people even MENTION post-rock. The fact that you ask someone "name a great Canadian artist", and they think of Arcade Fire and Justin Bieber first is a travesty. Those guys should have fathered some kind of indie scene by now, yet people habitually ignore them.

>shit that is mediocre or "ok" being praised as the second coming of Jesus
this is that shit I'm talking about

is there a more reddit album in existence?

Did A Night at the Opera codify a genre? No? Well Godspeed's work did. Regardless of how much you like it or not, it's an important part of music history.

Yeah, and that genre is shit.

The Black Keys
Immortal Technique
Anything with Jack White
Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt

>genre
>is shit
That's like being a food critic and saying "man fuck Italian food!". Get a grip, charlatan.

I can codify shitcore doesn't make it worth praising as the second coming of Jesus

Something that isnt innovative cant be good?
Wouldnt it make more sense if something was reddit it would be bad, lame, and easily mockable if you are old enough?

>Immortal Technique
>Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt
Everyone else is throwing a hissy-fit about my definitions, yet this guy gets it. It's pretty easy to spot Reddit-core once you've seen it once.

No, it's more like being a food critic and saying "man feces taste awful!". Get a grip, charlatan.

but anything Jack White is usually pretty unironically great. White Stripes are better than a lot of Sup Forums faves desu. maybe too acclaimed to be cool tho

Well, I'm a bit of a pretensions prick, so anything that isn't innovative is "lame" to me. If you consider the pedestrian stuff done on Queen albums to be amazing, be my guest. But you know the 70's were great years for music, I have fucking 101 albums I'll listen to first before that stuff.

You're not going to win that argument. I've gotten over petty issues of "hip-hop is for niggers" and "guitar twangs are gay" and "crescendo-core is stupid" a long time ago. If you're not there yet, that's fine.

Queen had more originality and uniqueness to their own sound than at least generic rock bands like

Replace the Heist with Kendrick and it's accurate.

....huh. Take off the Biggie album and maybe Mandatory Fun and uhh, yeah. That's a pretty good list.

reddit's thattaway
>>>/reddit/

Oh, no doubt. But I don't think any Redditor legitimatly finds Foo Fighters songs to be written by angelic forces. Freddie Mercury, on the other hand, is spoken about in biblical contexts. While ledditors might make a 4/10 Foo Fighters album into a 8/10, keep in mind that making a 6/10 Queen album into a 10/10 is the same degree of rating inflation.

Faggot-central is.....
Oh wait, you're already there. I guess the joke's on me.

RAM is underrated

I dunno, I think some pretty meh-material is mixed in with shit that COULD have been a comeback. The first and second track, Touch, Get Lucky, Fragments of Time, and Contact could make an amazing EP. The ALBUM though, ehh.....

If you listen to Gorillaz past the age of 17 then there's a strong chance you have absolutely no personality.

I mean, there's a STRONG chance. It's not 100%, because there is a case to be made for the band's earlier work, but uhh. Yeah, if they're your favorite band somehow, I've got some choice words for you.

legitimate question, I've listened to a few post-rock albums, and was mostly unimpressed, what would you recommended as the absolute best the genre has to offer?

Honestly, Lift Your Skinny Fists is a fucking snooze-feast the first time through. And the second. And the third. But once you know it well enough to know what passage comes next after you're done with this one, it actually blossoms into a pretty deep, reflective record. It truly does give you a slight, brief glimpse into the end of the world.
I am by no means an expert on the genre though, only listened to the most important shit and a few Bandcamp fuckoffs, but honestly, most Godspeed albums in particular function as great ambient music. It doesn't matter if you particularly like this album or the other, just grab a modded copy of STALKER and put that shit on in the background.

Straight for the horse's mouth
50 - Nine Inch Nails - “The Downward Spiral” - 1994

49 - OutKast - “Aquemini” - 1998

48 - Rage Against The Machine - “Rage Against The Machine” - 1992

47 - Sublime - “Sublime” - 1996

46 - The Beatles - “Rubber Soul” - 1965

45 - King Crimson - “In The Court Of The Crimson King” - 1969

44 - Jeff Buckley - “Grace” - 1994

43 - Oasis - “Definitely Maybe” - 1994

42 - Rush - “2112” - 1976

41 - David Bowie - “Hunky Dory” - 1971

40 - Led Zeppelin - “Led Zeppelin II” - 1969

39 - LCD Soundsystem - “Sound Of Silver” - 2007

38 - Pearl Jam - “Ten” - 1991

37 - The Rolling Stones - “Exile On Main St” - 1972

36 - Arctic Monkeys - “Whatever People Say I Am, That Is What I Am Not” - 2006

35 - Prince and the Revolution - “Purple Rain” - 1984

34 - Fleetwood Mac - “Rumours” - 1977

33 - Arcade Fire - “The Suburbs” - 2010

32 - The White Stripes - “Elephant” - 2003

31 - Queens Of The Stone Age - “Songs For The Deaf” - 2002

30 - Daft Punk - “Discovery” - 2000

29 - Kendrick Lamar - “Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City” - 2012

28 - Weezer - “Weezer” (AKA “The Blue Album”) - 1994

27 - Weezer - “Pinkerton” - 1996

26 - Nas - “Illmatic” - 1994

25 - Gorillaz - “Demon Days” - 2005

24 - David Bowie - “The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars” - 1972

23 - The Clash - “London Calling” - 1979

22 - Pixies - “Doolittle” - 1989

21 - Talking Heads - “Remain In Light” - 1980

20 - Pink Floyd - “Wish You Were Here - “1975

19 - Wu-Tang Clan - “Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)” - 1993

18 - Pink Floyd - “Animals” - 1977

17 - Kanye West - “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” - 2010

16 - The Beatles - “The White Album” - 1968

15 - Radiohead - “In Rainbows” - 2007

14 - The Velvet Underground - “The Velvet Underground And Nico” - 1967

13 - Arcade Fire - “Funeral” - 2004

12 - The Beatles - “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” - 1967

11 - Nirvana - “Nevermind” - 1991

10 - Kendrick Lamar - “To Pimp A Butterfly” - 2015

9 - Led Zeppelin - “Led Zeppelin IV” - 1971

8 - The Strokes - “Is This It” - 2001

7 - Radiohead - “Kid A” - 2000

6 - The Beach Boys - “Pet Sounds” - 1966

5 - Neutral Milk Hotel - “In The Aeroplane Over The Sea” - 1998

4 - The Beatles - “Revolver” - 1966

3 - The Beatles - “Abbey Road” - 1969

2 - Pink Floyd - "Dark Side Of The Moon” - 1973

1 - Radiohead - “OK Computer” - 1997

reddit.com/r/Music/comments/3nw5lb/rmusic_top_350_albums_top_50/

alright thanks, I'll give a skinny fists a few more listens, maybe I'll end up coming around on it like Loveless

Sup Forums BTFO

So basically, you take this, subtract the Sup Forums essentials, and you get:
>11 - Nirvana - “Nevermind” - 1991
>22 - Pixies - “Doolittle” - 1989
>25 - Gorillaz - “Demon Days” - 2005
>28 - Weezer - “Weezer” (AKA “The Blue Album”) - 1994
>31 - Queens Of The Stone Age - “Songs For The Deaf” - 2002
>32 - The White Stripes - “Elephant” - 2003
>36 - Arctic Monkeys - “Whatever People Say I Am, That Is What I Am Not” - 2006
>37 - The Rolling Stones - “Exile On Main St” - 1972
>38 - Pearl Jam - “Ten” - 1991
>43 - Oasis - “Definitely Maybe” - 1994
>44 - Jeff Buckley - “Grace” - 1994
>47 - Sublime - “Sublime” - 1996
I think that's a decent list of leddit-core to supplement the chart already posted.