Was there ever a worse decade for music than the 80s?

Was there ever a worse decade for music than the 80s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dOWSq72_vWI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes the 10s because at least the 80s had its own identity and culture

>Ratt
>bad

Boy, you don't know Nitro:
youtube.com/watch?v=dOWSq72_vWI

>a couple of shitty pop rock bands aimed at 12 year old girls=the entirety of music for a decade

The 50s because it was when music started to get jewed by big companies.

People who know nothing about music always go for the easy targets, like glam metal. Glam metal is secretly patrician and still has a huge following.

>Glam metal is secretly patrician and still has a huge following

No it wasn't. Those bands literally all sound the same and are the musical equivalent of water. You only need to hear, at most, one hair metal album in your life.

if you had to pick, what would that one album be?

For the most part, I would agree. There was a lot of good metal, though.

Look What The Cat Dragged In? All of them are literally the same thing. Same songs, same chord progressions, same guitar solos, same style of vocals.

>squeal guitar rocker about partying and boning sluts
>power ballad

Not true. You can discover a huge range of quality Hair bands from the '80s that all sound distinct.

Personal favorites:
W.A.S.P. - s/t
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil
Dokken - Under Lock and Key
Skid Row - s/t
Stryper - To Hell with the Devil
TNT - Tell No Tales
Pink Cream 69 - s/t
Dead End - Shambara

RnB from 1980-1983 is pretty goddamned GOAT

"no"
okay but some of the worst trends occured too like reverbed snares and octave higher bridges and WHOOAAAAAs. in the 70s there msy have been styles associated with genres but in the 80's it was so commercialized that you had to adhere to a certain trend to sell records. glam, new wave, punk, pop, it was all a clear cut investment.

motley crue too fast for love
the peak of cockrock

Glam metal had its heyday in 1982-85. In the late 80s, it was just a corpse propped up by MTV with dozens of copycat bands.

Even industry veterans like Aerosmith and Heart stooped to MTV sludge in the late 80s. There was a period of time where nobody seemed capable of any honest music or anything that wasn't intended as pure corporate product.

"During the 80s, America and anything American became very uncool in Europe. Everything was just big hair and shoulder pads. Only Bruce Springsteen was still saying the things that mattered. Bob Dylan seems to have fallen asleep, and the rest you just had Madonna singing about being a material girl and greed is good and all that."

This decade has its own identity and culture as much as any other.

It was a reaction against the excessive politicization of the previous two decades.

What about Dio?

Also Night Ranger gets a bad rep but Brad Gillis is an amazing guitarist

Dee Snider is too based for us

>Dio
>hair metal
Whut.

the 90s

This decade has an identity you're just not a part of it

You know, they're back. And with Chris Adler and Victor Wooten.

Current decade

I thought we were talking about the 80's? Dio was in the 80's and 90's

^This.

>trade goofy, over-the-top, but fun rock and roll for whiny faggots in flannel singing about how bad they smell

*blocks your path*

He became what he hated most, making trash like "We're Not Gonna Take It."

Daaaaamn senpai, you have the music taste of a 50 year old guy that frequently fucks hookers and shoots heroin in some dark alley, don't know if that is good thing or a bad thing, not really sure.

>OP is a pleb that thinks the 80s was just radio friendly hair metal.

>Post Punk, No Wave and the seeds of Alternative/Indie
>80s Post Hardcore, Hardcore Punk, Crust, etc
>The birth of Thrash, Death and Black Metal
>New Wave, Etheral Wave, Dream Pop, Synthpop
>The birth of Techno and House Music

Yeah you're a massive pleb

I'm drug free and haven't mustered up the courage to solicit a hooker.

Generalize much? You're a fucking idiot.

What a boring life. Being sober is awful.

Yes, all of them in fact. The 80s was the pinnacle of popular music in the 20th century, and has still yet to be surpassed in quality by anything to come out of the 21st. The whole "80s music sucks" meme that's propagated by teenagers and manchildren that don't know shit about dick needs to die. Talk Talk, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, The Human League, INXS, OMD, Kate Bush, Japan, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, Big Audio Dynamite, Yellow Magic Orchestra, PiL, and so on. If none of this appeals to you then you probably don't really like music very much.

This

I agree that teenyboppers saying the 80s were bad (while worshipping le ebin 90s) are autistic, but the 80s were good because of the evolution of extreme metal and hardcore punk, not that other stuff.

If you can't realize that new wave spawned some of the greatest pop acts of all time (The Cure, Smiths, New Order, OMD, Devo, Soft Cell) then you're a hopeless turbopleb

I'd argue new wave, or at least what we consider that sound, was spawned by New Order.

Why not both? Punk is fucking stupid but I agree that the development of metal in the 80s was top tier. If you don't think any of the pop music/new wave/etc. to come out of the 80s is good then you're just a single genre "le heavy music death to all but metal" pleb.

00's were worse

lol no. I mean, what point are you even trying to make here? Sure New Order had some kind of new wave sounding stuff in the early 80s but they were by no means the band that "spawned" "that sound". Such a distinction would more accurately be given to Kraftwerk as they were a virtually universal influence to all of the early synthpop/new wave bands in the UK. Most notably OMD, which by most accounts seems to be the first "new wave" band proper.

The synth pop sound that came to dominate the 80's style.

Yes, which New Order certainly didn't "spawn". They were still too hung up on the post punk bullshit, they weren't much of a pop band. Just because they used some synths doesn't mean that they were a synthpop band.

Peter Gabriel III & So
Talk Talk
Talking Heads Remain In Light
New Order Low Life
The Cure Disintegration

Kill yourself, OP

Journey's to Glory, too.

10s are the worst
Rise of top40 pop to "acclaimed masterpieces" and hip hop, bunch of meme music for underage fucks

Name a single record from the 10s above 9/10

>inb4 all the underage rapfags post Kanye and Kendrick

Sufjan Stevens The Age of Adz/Carrie & Lowell
Nick cave & Bad Seeds Skeleton Tree
The National High Violet
OPN R+7
Tim Hecker Virgins

Just gonna toss out some 80's.
dead milkmen
rem
butthole surfers
fugazi
replacements
coil

Oh, and by the way, Children of God

Even worse, they could post Grimes.

agreed.

the whole "bad generation" argument is subjective to what you were exposed to. the 80s were a good decade for thrash(metal in general), punk, post-punk, and alternative. i.e. Cocteau Twins, Sonic Youth

>Only top 40 acts matter and exist: The thread
Nothing to see here people, move on.

>reverbed snare
God's gift to man.

Yeah, but doing everything in your power to live a shorter life as possible is so much better.

People tend to forget that the 80's also brought rise to the independent labels, of which brought a lot of great shit that major labels would not touch.

Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant was responsible for signing some of the not so independent bands. Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Slipknot and Nickelback among others.

Hip hop gained a lot of momentum in the eighties. There are a number of classic hip hop albums in this decade.

And truly had a message

You both are fucked

Your music sucks

And the other faggot has no clue how awesome it is to Fuck hooked and shoot dope.

The Fuck do you sissies know about rock nroll?

Your perspective is shit
and I happens to like being high

We're talking about music here sweetums

yeahcause michael jackson was uncool in europe lmao

Kill yourself grandpa

"our band could be your life" was published 16 years ago, you have no excuse for being such and idiot.

80s pop fucking sucks, get outta here

INXS are gay

You sound like a retard

The 80s had some good music.
It depends on your personal tastes.

Fuck off with your jew baiting. Go back to Daily Stormer!

I wonder if 30 years from now some idiot will post a picture of Katy Perry and ask "Was there ever a worse decade for music than the 2010s?" as if pop background noise was ever a fair way to describe an entire decade of music

I know it's always the meme and maybe it's just because I don't listen to enough bad 80's music but it's always been my highest rated decade and has a lot of my all-time favorite albums

That said, the 60s and 70s are held back mainly because I listen to a lot of obscure and experimental albums from those periods and not every experiment works

Fucking hell this is some ignorant shit.

But 1910 was when music started

>t. edgy 16 year old

Kick is one of the best albums of all time you gay faggot.