Should research into True AI be illegal?

Should research into True AI be illegal?

In my opinion, true artificial intelligence is a dangerous abomination, and any attempts at creating it should be punishable by death.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iw-88h-LcTk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In my opinion you should be a post-birth abortion and executed immediately.

Give an argument with some substance or fuck off.

True artificial intelligence will probably be created within the next century or so.

It could be dangerous to create such an entity, as we have no way of knowing how it would come to view its creators.

And even if it doesn't become dangerous, having a sentient entity trapped for eternity in the way that an artificial intelligence would be would be monstrously cruel, and would be akin to creating a slave.

Both of these consequences are undesirable. So for the safety of humans at large, or for the safety of the proposed sentient being, I personally believe research into TRUE AI should be illegal.

But I want a robot gf

I agree that building an AI will probably not be beneficial for mankind

No.

Why the fuck would you limit your own evolution?

We need true AI because we can program it to identify and kill nigs and degenerates and be blameless, just blame the AI

Well of course people shouldnt play god like that, but making it illegal wont stop it.

What the hell is true artificial intelligence? If you mean a sentient machine, it almost certainly won't happen, or at least not in our lifetime. We don't even know what consciousness is or how it arises.

A purely logical binary AI is a threat to humanity. An ai with emotions would be safer than a logical ai

I never said it would happen in our lifetime. But yes, exactly. We DON'T understand what consciousness is OR how it comes to be. Which is why we most certainly shouldn't meddle in things that we don't understand, and perhaps weren't meant to.

The ones controlling the AI have an edge over those who don't.

Until it becomes the UI

t. Fabricator-General of Mars

I think it's likely that humanity will seek to integrate artificial intelligence with itself as a next step in human evolution. We can all be calculating geniuses with photographic memory. Fuck letting robots have all the fun.

>ITT: people who don't know shit about AI
There's no such thing as "True AI". And whatever it is you're referring to, my answer is no.

The concept of AI among engineers/programmers and the general public are vastly different. When the public refers to AI, they're talking about Holywood type sentient machines, while engineers use the term to mean practical applications of AI concepts and machine learning, such as in statistical data analysis, prediction models, governing software etc.

>It could be dangerous to create such an entity
Again, you're getting your info from Holywood.
If we ever do get to a point where we're ready to turn on the first sentient computer, we could just do it in a safe controlled environment, completely disconnected from the outside world. If something goes wrong, you pull the plug. Even I'd agree it's a stupid idea to give it complete control of our armed forces and the entire nuclear arsenal before we even turn the fucking thing on...
Still a good movie tho.

The moment I see one robot killing a human. I'm killing myself.

No fucking way am I living an eternity in suffering.

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=iw-88h-LcTk

great idea FAGLET, now instead of creating AI in a safe and regulated environment you get to have criminals creating it underground.

repost

according stellaris yes, it should be illegal

>In my opinion, true artificial intelligence is a dangerous abomination, and any attempts at creating it should be punishable by death.

And what is the basis of this opinion? Watching too many re-runs of Terminator?

I hope I will witness the singularity.