Mastering

is this sounding too harsh on the high mids? pls
clyp.it/c4xsengj

/prod/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r7iNj3Ae_CU
ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/mixing-bass-and-kick-for-low-end-balance/
clyp.it/cjlrkwbl
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/wild-world
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Drums are too Bassy sounding

reminds of me the Bass on the Byrds song Glory Glory

you dont want overpowering bass

youtube.com/watch?v=r7iNj3Ae_CU

how do i fix that, i had to boost it so they punch in

also im liking the byrds song

oh hi samuel, I agree with bass frequencies could do with some tweaking

oi, user, please tell me what to do with them specifically

When I master I take out the very low and very high end, the stuff that no one can really hear, it just gives you a cleaner mix at loud volumes. Don't remove too much though. Also when mixing cut out frequencies you don't need, so in your kick and bass you don't need any high end, so cut that out, and vice versa with cymbals etc. Remember it's better to cut than to boost.

Not that user, but thanks for the solid advice famalam.

i did these passes on the wild world mix
no hi pass on the kick tho, but a 30hz pass on the master
aint these subs important for punch at loud volumes tho?

The punch of the kick is around 150-200Hz, everything below that is the boom

how you separate the kick's bass from the bas guitar then

can't tell you for sure my dude, you have to see what sounds best

how 'you' do it

as I've explained above, a lot of of EQ. I also add a master compressor on the final mix and some tape saturation, but that's just for my desired sound.

Also i don't know if you have, but never but any reverb on bass, that fucks up your mix

ah i see. i do that on my masters too

no reverb on bass but i did it once in a mix, with a hipass

>enough headroom
nigga, this is the .ogg from the clyp you're proposing.

Not him but you want to make sure the kick and the bass occupy different places in the frequency spectrum. They should not overlap. You need to choose which should be higher and lower.

For instance, I just tracks a song with a client this weekend, and the kick was basically peaking at 60hz with the bass at 80hz and going upwards. I usually just tune the drums and EQ the bass cab to stand out from eachother, as well as using different types of mics to just naturally separate them sonically. But you can also do that in EQ. Make sure there are filters on ALL the other tracks so only the kick and bass are occupying this part of the frequency spectrum.

Here's some more info:
ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/mixing-bass-and-kick-for-low-end-balance/

>using Audacity to check clipping
kek

op here, done that stuff you mentioned except for the real life part of tuning drums

yeas which happens to be the same in the pic i used. with a zoom difference

>except for the real life part of tuning drums
Maybe that's the problem.

but chosen a kick sample that peaks around 60hz and also eqd it

>sample
Maybe that's the problem.

ez drummer is a very good drum sampler and used on professional recordings with good resulds.

By people who already know the real life part of tuning drums

have a nice shitposting day

Have fun making shit masters

wait its not fun i need help to make it good

Then you shouldn't have been mean to me. I was trying to help you

forgive me friend

that was just to match OP's image. sox and ffmpeg confirm a sever lack of headroom, with 2.70 LRA max. And I didn't even mention clipping..
there's not enough headroom, and zooming in won't help. There's no need to level up loudness like that. But hey you like to shoot yourself in the foot, good fucking luck.

that looks like enough headroom to me. i dont want my music to be quieter than the references i listen to

no, there's not, and you're an idiot. It won't sound "quieter" if you just allow a reasonable dynamic range. At all. All your references aren't flat, unless you're falling for the loudness war. Good. Fucking. Luck.

>i read the loudness war page on wikipedia and now i'm a hipster fighting for headroom and quiet dynamics
yes my references are loud rocknroll, and they dont sound flat at all

>hipster
>wikipedia
yeah, fuck off idiot. You didn't deserve a single second of my attention. My bad.

;/ sad

>quiet dynamics
man, the loudness war actually flatten the perceived dynamic range.

it's rendering atm

also that wasnt any change from the previous clyps except for the drum buss' bass cut. im posting bass and kick but didnt change them.

ah and yeah you keep mentioning the clipping. well the master was exported @ -.3, that clipping is natural from the mp3 conversion.

rendered and uploaded
clyp.it/cjlrkwbl

bump

>[Hide] [Show All]
Aside from the drums, yeah that soudns a bit better, but I didn't think it was bad to begin with.

whats up with them drums

Sounds fakey

ah its not shitting the song is it
ill release it this way, its good already and the lows arent too fucked up.
is the overall mix sounding harsh and too much high mids? think 2k~5k

>ah its not shitting the song is it
In my opinion yes. Sampled/sequenced rums are fine in some genres, but not in rock. Just makes it sound cheesy.
>is the overall mix sounding harsh and too much high mids? think 2k~5k
No I think it sounds fine.

>In my opinion yes. Sampled/sequenced rums are fine in some genres, but not in rock. Just makes it sound cheesy.
thats bad but i cant fix it
>No I think it sounds fine.
thanks, will release it.

released it. thanks everybody itt soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/wild-world

forgot pic

theres a wide stereo chorus on the bass