SCIENCEFAGS:

SCIENCEFAGS:
My best friend has lost his mind and says that a jar that's empty weighs less a jar with a fly flying around in it. This is fucking
insane and I think it's a Jew mind trick. Can't find video evidence please help

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lVeP6oqH-Qo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This looks like a mtg card

Tits

Your colleague is right when you look at the total mass. Also the fly presses down air molecules which affects the weight.

> plagiarize

If they are the same jar then they weigh the same

Depends on what you're actually measuring. The weight of the jar does not change though, no. If the fly lands on the inside of it then that would add the fly's weight you the jar's weight although the difference would be negligible anyway. And it's not like you count what's inside the jar as being part of the jar. If I fill the jar with water then that doesn't make the jar weigh anything more but there'd be more weight pushing down on a scale. And a fly inside a jar not touching the sides wouldn't effect the amount of downward pressure being put on the scale.

Actio equals reactio
The fly pushes up a force goes down. So more pressure on the scale

Yes I suppose you're right. But it still doesn't change the weight of the jar.

>and I think it's a Jew mind trick
wtf

Don't you know? Jews invented gravity. To keep us down.

The weight of the jar itself is constant, but the weight exerted on the scale increases because of the fly.

das sum sneaky kikery, indeed.

So money cant fly away

well, you should ask if he means total mass of the volume or the weight of the jar.

Yes

Good call family

Are you stupid?

Scale it up, and apply the same logic.

"My best friend has lost his mind and says that the moon weighs less now, than when we had Neil Armstrong walking on it."

"My best friend has lost his mind and says that a empty passenger jet weighs less than a passenger jet flying around with people in it."

"My best friend has lost his mind and says that a empty cage weighs less than a cage with monkeys jumping around in it."

Fucking kek

You can't weigh things in space.

No.

Assuming the jar is completely sealed and no atmosphere can escape, then a jar with a fly in it will weigh more on a scale than a similarly sealed jar with no fly. It doesn't matter if the fly is resting on the bottom or airborne.

If the jar is closed, your friend is correct. It contains the total mass of everything inside, including the fly (which would be a fly-shaped air pocket if you excluded the fly). Fly weighs more than fly-shaped air pocket, so total weight goes up. Fly's presence contributes to weight of air inside a closed jar.

he's right, newtons 3rd law. the jar's mass is unaffected but the weight increases

I just came.

Yes. Though technically the fly doesn't add to the weight of the air, it contributes its own weight but the added volume of the fly adds to the pressure inside the jar which is felt as a 'weight'

Fly is putting in work displacing itself which cancels out its weight. You wouldn't see any difference IF ONLY the thing is flying via wings.

Also pressure is applied equally across surface area of a container inside which means there's no force exerted by the container because it's all canceled out.

Of course if mass you would see a difference bUT people generally talk about mass of objects

^dont

youtube.com/watch?v=lVeP6oqH-Qo

Its same problem

it would, air does weight too.

Hahahah

I have a first semester college technical physics class that says you're wrong. We calculated Earth's gravitational force using electricity and a falling piece of metal. Using that, the size of the planet, and the Universal gravitational constant I calculated the weight of the planet in Kg. I could do the same for the moon.

Easier way to say it is anything flying in a medium is weightless. Like a plane or submarine. Weight comes from acceleration of gravity and these things aren't crashing

What? No...you're conflating two different things. Besides, even if you were talking about an object suspended in air under its own power, that doesn't 'cancel out' its weight - the weight, by which I mean the force of gravity on the object, is still present, but the upward force balances this resulting in zero net velocity. That has nothing to do with the weight of the jar.

if the fly is inside the jar it displaces air increasing the overall density of the system and therefor the weight
W=mg=ρVg

the moon has gravity, bud

From Moonbear's numbers, the density of a housefly appears to be about 100 kg/m^3.

80 times more dense than air.

Hmm that's right but I was thinking about net force you'd feel on your hand or on the ground

as I posted, this is all you need to know and nothing more. At Al.

/topic

The fly in the jar thing is one of those problems that nobody can agree on and everyone misunderstands because the problem itself is poorly defined from the beginning - like the airplane on a treadmill. If the jar is completely closed - no air in or out, adding a fly will add to the total weight of the system. It doesn't matter if the fly is in air or on the bottom of the jar. If you looked at the problem realistically, then you would probably see a small difference if the fly was on the bottom vs. flying, because the beat of its wings would cause turbulence, non-laminar flow, etc, within the jar, and out of (or into) the jar itself, which would impact the weight of the system. Assuming you had a scale with enough sensitivity to read that.

bullshit

this turbulence would be basically not visible.

In short

Jar itself, as a glass, would not change, BUT if we are talking about weight of whole system it essentially does not matter if fly is flying or standing on bottom/side of jar.

10/10 had fun thread tho

I think a purer form of this experiment woukd be a steel ball being hovered by magnets within a container. This container is closed and has equal pressure as the environment outside of it does the steel ball increase the weight of the container even though it is hovering in the air via magnetic displacement of gravity?

The air is supporting the weight of the fly as it flies around. If anything, the jar would weight more when it's flying. It has to accelerate its mass upwards to fly. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Mind you, you would need high precision scales, encased in glass boxes to prevent air movement in the room from throwing off the measurements.....

I liked the original artwork of Plagiarize better tbh.

No. Emphatically no. That is a completely different physical process. You are not comparing two similar things. And to answer your question already, yes, magnetic fields transmit force, therefore the container is still 'weighed down' by the ball suspended in a magnetic field.