U2 appreciation thread

*becomes Sup Forums core and destroys the haters*

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sFeBUjDpwco
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

y-you too

The problem is that U2 was the "consensus band" of Generation X. They were the band everybody agreed was pretty good. Millennial backlash is a response to the hugely commercial status of the band and Seinfeld-is-not-funny syndrome.

If it makes you feel any better, the same thing will happen to Sup Forums's "consensus" band, Radiohead, in the coming years.

Joshua tree should be 10
8.9 is too low

Those albums are all good

U2 is so unbearably boring.

No its trash

They rose up in the late 70s alongside and directly influenced by a myriad of post-punk acts, worked with Brian Eno and Martin Hannett, played shows with This Heat, The Fall, and Mission of Burma, got Einstürzende Neubauten to open for them at the height of their fame, and did the whole "OK Computer -> Kid A" thing several years before Radiohead. Oh and their guitarist once made a collaborative album with the members of Can and PiL featuring contributions from Arthur Russell.

It's pretty widely accepted they made great albums in the 80s and 90s and disseminated their influence pretty widely. Not just your Coldplay and the Killers, but Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Kanye West too. Hell, even Mac Demarco and Father John Misty have been known to break out the occasional U2 cover.

It will not be Sup Forumscore and I don't think you know what Sup Forums-core is in the first place.

Newfags need to go away

Still trash wah wah momcore

The Passengers stuff is honestly amazing. Can't stop playing it

Except they weren't always

i wanna run
i wanna hide

>the same thing will happen to Sup Forums's "consensus" band, Radiohead, in the coming years.

Good
Hope next generation finds those urban losers shit
Only good thing Greenwood did was the soundtrack of TWBB

Yes they were lmao. U2 is garbo

BONO HERE
YEAH YEAH YEAH HELLO HELLO

How is he so based lads

Hes not. Hes a garbage fame seeker

>someone else has heard Snake Charmer
It's basically a Jah Wobble, The Edge and Holger Czukay jam session and it's as fantastic as it sounds.

Honestly, the U2 influence is felt everywhere nowadays. The use of guitar as textures and the lack of solos in a mainstream band were pioneered by The Edge, and it has affected nearly everyone, from shoegaze to late 90's indie rock.

First South Park reference over an hour after... Took surprisingly long.

And how much of their early stuff have you heard?

All these are early albums
They're a classic example of a band peaking

*saves Africa*

underage

Is it possible to talk about how great U2 is without discussing their "influence" or showing how they've worked with / inspired mu-approved bands? Can you talk about how they have merit on their own?

This for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=sFeBUjDpwco

It fucking is. Elvis Ate America is the only real sore spot.

Elvis ate America is great. Love that track

War and Joshua Tree are obvious classics. I've been relistening to Zooropa and it's grown on me quite a bit.

Honestly, War should be essential post-punk. New Year's Day is the best song there, by the way.

Pop is great